*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Yep I just went into CPW and they still advertise it as 1.5GHz S4. I even told the guy in there about the S3 models, unsurprisingly he knew nothing about it. The S in store was still £419 or something though, so I'd have to order online. And they had no stock instore anyway :p

Funny that, they're mostly the same and although they work in a phone shop never know anything about phones :confused: It's always "Oh, that's the first we've heard of it" :rolleyes:

Thanks stoosh. I am starting to think that SIM-only is the way to go, but I can't help but feel it's more hassle. Ironically I'm thinking it would be good for me for oposite reasons. I take good care of my devices (touch wood!) and although new tech appeals to me I probably don't feel the need to get a new phone every 2 years. It's obviously hard to predict the future but the only reason I want to upgrade my Desire is because of the internal memory problem. (Ironic I'm choosing the One S :eek: )

I'm not so sure. I wish I had gone sim free like I was going to do instead of contract. Sim free you are free to swap network if things don't pan out like you would have expected. That is of course if you opt to go payg monthly with no fixed contract. I don't think the deals for minutes, txts and data are as good mind.[/QUOTE]

EDIT: I'm a donut, it seems the £349 price is PAYG (with specific top-ups on networks). Will those phones be locked to those particular networks? SIM-free it's £429.. So if you buy it PAYG you'd need to do their £10 top-up on whatever network, port your number to that SIM, then get a better SIM deal from Giff Gaff or whoever if you want? :confused:

See what I mean about SIM-only being more hassle!

Just make sure you buy an unlocked phone as if you walk into one of the network shops then you are likely to be buying a phone locked to their network. Can be unlocked but may as well be unlocked and unbranded?

The good thing about SIM-only is that you can shop about if and when prices change. For now the £10 GG goodybag would suit me for they might raise the price or my usage might change, and then I can shop around again. Not possible on contract at all! Hmn it sounds like I'm convincing myself now.. maybe that's just because I want to get my hansd on the OneS :p

If the CPW phones are all network-unlocked why would anyone buy a 'SIM-free' one at a higher price? :confused:

The good thing about SIM-only is that you can shop about if and when prices change. For now the £10 GG goodybag would suit me for they might raise the price or my usage might change, and then I can shop around again. Not possible on contract at all! Hmn it sounds like I'm convincing myself now.. maybe that's just because I want to get my hansd on the OneS :p

If the CPW phones are all network-unlocked why would anyone buy a 'SIM-free' one at a higher price? :confused:

Sim only is the best way to go as you're not tied to a long term contract and like you said you can shop about if and when prices change. Personally Sim only has been a god send for me as I've been on a sim only plan for two years and the tariff and data / mins / texts I get within the plan is spot on and so is the price!

As for the price differential between sim free and PAYG phones in CPW I have no idea, maybe someone on this forum who works for CPW or has a friend who does can shed light on this.

Last edited:
Nice! :cool: Can definitely see the difference there :)

Also we have a few guys working on jellybean now since it was released earlier :D Probably be buggy for like a month or 2 though :p

So many reasons to root now! Must resist just a bit longer.............. :o :p

Last edited:
Nice :cool:

Gone up to £30 now though :(

How is your ping compared to the old one?

What to do........ hold on for this virgin update to see what happens (should be rolling out to the rest of the SH next week IIRC) or just go ahead and get this............

Speaking of updates, my phone arrived with 1.53.401.2. A manual check indicates an update is available. I am on Orange, but the phone has no branding whatsover.
Its early days, but I don`t seem to have any issues either with signal or wifi.
Have any of you guys found the updates made things worse? If not, I will do it on the wifi when I get home.

I personally didn't.

For wifi related tasks, performance was much much faster/consistent and since that update I have had no freezes/reboots, before the update I had 2 or 3.

If things do get worse for you, do a factory reset (although it will wipe everything on the phone)

No problem :)

You don't have to do a reset for minor updates like that (I didn't reset mine after that update), only necessary if you do experience issues, so up to you :) A factory reset is needed though for the bigger updates i.e. jellybean when we get it.

Still can`t believe how awesome this phone is. Also cannot believe how wrong I got it with the Legend.

A friend of mine is a gamekeeper, with access to various firearms. Beginning to wonder how good a slow mo video of the Legend being blown to smithereens by a rifle would look :D

I would remove the battery of course for the sake of the environment :D

Nice :cool:

Gone up to £30 now though :(

How is your ping compared to the old one?

What to do........ hold on for this virgin update to see what happens (should be rolling out to the rest of the SH next week IIRC) or just go ahead and get this............

Ping is pretty much the same as the old D-Link 615 (dd-wrt)- Not far off wired.

I'm getting:

First test:next to router - second test:different floor,far away - as you can see low signal but still a good ping:

Screenshot_2012-07-10-17-20-51.png
Screenshot_2012-07-10-17-21-59.png

Used to get 20Mbit max on the S2 before but the old router didn't want to connect via N-SPEED. Don't know why.

Tried my S2 at a mates house with superhub and I got 3MB/s there so you should be getting more I think; is your SH in the same room as the phone when FTPing?

I think your SH will be fine - but was a bragian nonetheless for the specs. I was going to buy a N56 for £75.

@Kona

Thanks for that :)

My SH is in a different room, got 2 walls in between my room and the room that it is in and it is on the same floor.

It all depends on how many are connected to the SH and the time of the day :(, when by myself it is just me :p Later on, there is 5 devices connected to the SH, 1 PC hardwired, 2 PC's connected wirelessy and 2 mobile devices.

So speeds vary depending on the time of day and when you have 3 people in the house that use utorrent the connection can get stressed a bit........... :p

My biggest annoyance is just that I am not getting any where over 30MB on my PC (and the other PC connected wirelessy) yet my one S can get over 45MB (when I am the only one connected) :confused: and one of the main reasons I may need to get a new router.

TBH I think a better router is needed considering our usage and the amount of devices etc.

Wonder if that router will come down in price again?

I was looking at one of the TP-link routers for around £30, heard good things about them and am very impressed with their wireless adapter, which cost around £10 (WN722NC)

Will try FTP again sometime with my phone in the same room as the SH and see what speeds are like.

@Sarge

hehe true! :D

We would see some good slow motion destruction of the legend though :D

Last edited:
Pfffft! Estrongs and airdroid is all you need! :p

Yup, mainly the warranty and I kind of want to wait and see what HTC bring with the next update, also all the wee bugs/niggles that you usually encounter with flashing different ROMs etc. and I just know that once I root, I will waste soooo much time flashing different ROMs, tweaks etc. :o (I also don't bother with backups/restoring as I had more problems doing that than just starting fresh, only way to be sure! :p :o)

Will be as bad as mrk then :p

It is pretty much guaranteed that I will root at some point though, just a question as to how long I can hold out for :p

Hmm never had no problems using Mybackup Pro to backup everything. Do a Nandroid backup and you can always go back to Exactly how you left it. Also good if you forget to back something up.

Just add SU to your current rom, you don't have to do any changes then. Whatever update HTC release you have the option to apply it way before your carrier decides to?

1. Go to HTCdev, unlock your bootloader
2. Flash Recovery
3. Flash SU chainfire
4. Voila your rom setup that has SU privlidges.

Give it a go, you can't mess up if you have a nandroid backup.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1583427

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom