*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Phew! Thank god for that! :D

:p

Couldn't be bothered with a protector on the camera lens. Does it affect your photo quality at all?

Sounds good that screen protector! Might give them a shot as well. Still have my HTC one on and it is in perfect condition, only annoying thing with it is the way that the greasy marks and fingerprints show up much more easily now (can't imagine this being much different with any other brand of SP though?), nothing that a quick wipe can sort out though :p

Yeah, I think some guy has uploaded the package for the ROM developers, so maybe a few days?

hehe :D

Some more great news regarding updates (specifically 4.1 :D) in some ways..........(I hope!)

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/19/htc-one-xl-one-s-jelly-bean/

EDIT:

not many people really talking about what the update improves! :mad:

But so far, these seem to be the main things:

Well after a day giving you whiplash I can reaffirm what I said: Improving performance and more free ram. The phone heats up less. The wifi is much more stable. coverage continues to fail and get notifications when they want. The battery I'll give some more charging cycle to check how it behaves when seated. If this is a test rom for developers (for the subject supercid) are on the right path, is left alone to improve coverage and notifications and I I will be satisfied .

I confirm what you say, but yours to me diferemcia improved network coverage by 20%, is a lot more fluid and above all free ram twice, the battery goes very well parese benmark good antutu quadrant 7100 and 5400 at the moment are not root it fails the bootloader have blocked a few days how it evolves. A greeting Sent from my HTC One 2 S using Tapatalk

Sounds like a good update so far.........

PS. That was translated with google, so that will be why it doesn't make much sense :p

Last edited:
Right nexus my ol chum! CPW have agreed to let me exchange my iphone 4s for whatever I please!

Advise me please ;) Do I dare go for the One S or should I go back to the S3. Major plus with the One S is that I'd get a rebate of around £150!

You should definitely get the S3, especially as you don't mind the aesthetics of it (that's pretty much the only place the One S is possibly better, depending on your taste).

It isn't too big and you'll get used to it. I don't even notice mine in my pocket... ever.

Edit: and HTC Sense, too, but that shouldn't be a big deal because you can emulate/better most of it fairly easily.

Last edited:
Right nexus my ol chum! CPW have agreed to let me exchange my iphone 4s for whatever I please!

Advise me please ;) Do I dare go for the One S or should I go back to the S3. Major plus with the One S is that I'd get a rebate of around £150!

It really is up to you and what suits you best.

GS 3:

- screen size and quality
- SD slot
- removable battery
- better 1080P recording

HTC ONE S:

- sense V4 (iirc I read that you really hated touchwiz in the GS 3 thread and that you loved sense, so this is a pretty big factor I would say)

There really isn't any alternatives for sense, no apps can replicate sense to the same extent and if they do, you loose that unified/polished/integrated feel.

Can't find any apps that are better overall than the sense ones for the camera, gallery, calendar amongst a few other ones. Only reason I use a few 3rd party apps instead of stock is due to customization and a few additional features or being quicker overall i.e. apex launcher, quick ics browser etc.

- smaller and oozes much better build and perceived quality compared to the GS 3
- you get £150 back into your pocket, which could go towards a lovely 8GB N7 ;)

Everything else like battery life, audio and speed/smoothness is more or less the same really.

Of course the GS 3 has a much better GPU and the S has a better CPU for power efficiency, performance per core (this is pretty important as most apps still don't fully utilise dual core CPU's let alone quad core) and heat.

Plus it has now been confirmed that the one S is getting jellybean (thinking it shouldn't be too long now, possibly by the end of next month will have it?), where as with the GS 3 there is still no word about it (obviously it will get it as well, but when?)

IIRC storage wasn't an issue for you and 10GB for photos, videos etc. and 2.21GB for apps is more than enough for you?

If the above is true then is it worth going for the GS 3 due to the bigger/better screen (IMO that is the main difference) for an extra £150, however, at the cost of being bigger etc.? Which you aren't keen on.

IMO touchwiz is still an awful skin especially when compared to sense V4, might be feature full regarding gesture based stuff, however, the colour scheme and apps IMO are all too kiddish/cartoonish looking and rather bloated feeling to them with no real unified feel compared to sense (of course the majority of this can be solved via rooting and flashing a custom theme and installing 3rd party apps etc.)

I honestly think that you would prefer the one S overall compared to the GS 3 going by what you have said before:

- size
- sense

Overall if it were me, I would save the money and get the S as apart from the screen, storage (which some people aren't bothered about) and removable battery (only useful if you like to have spares and in case the battery did break, you could change it yourself), the GS 3 isn't worth it IMO.

EDIT:

As I said before the screen is good just not as nice as the one X and GS 3 due to the sharpness mainly and to just show how good it is, here is what anandtech said about it:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5868/htc-one-s-review-international-and-tmobile/6

Last edited:
I'm the last person on earth who will say TouchWiz is a good thing, but it's actually not that bad.

HTC Sense on the One X can feel too bloated at times, if you know what I mean.

To be fair he obviously didn't like the GS3 so should probably try the One S, though he seems extremely indecisive. :p

He'll probably have taken it back next week and bought a Lumia 800.

£5 says Mike gets limited reception at home with the One S :D Personally I'd get a cheap Razr or Prada 3 (£200-£250) or £99 Lumia 710 as a stop gap until the new Nexus/iPhone/WP8 are out.

(Oh, HOS > SGS3 every day of the week ;))

£5 says Mike gets limited reception at home with the One S :D Personally I'd get a cheap Razr or Prada 3 (£200-£250) or £99 Lumia 710 as a stop gap until the new Nexus/iPhone/WP8 are out.

That's another good point, didn't he have reception issues?

(Oh, HOS > SGS3 every day of the week ;))

Such nonsense is to be expected from someone who championed the Motorola Defy. :o

:D

I'm the last person on earth who will say TouchWiz is a good thing, but it's actually not that bad.

To be fair he obviously didn't like the GS3 so should probably try the One S, though he seems extremely indecisive. :p

Yeah it all comes down to personal preference etc. It certainly is an improvement overall compared to the GS 2 touchwiz version. They just need to have a more minimal feel for their apps and create some kind of unified bond across the phone and change that god damn colour scheme!!! :mad:

:p

Yup I do :) It is nowhere as bad as previous versions though, absolutely despised them!!!!

Probably will do that! :D :p

TBH, maybe he would prefer a windows phone?

Hehe I really hope he doesn't get limited reception!

Actually how strong is the reception rated for your network mike at your home, work etc.? (can find this out on the networks websites under coverage checker or something similar to that)

If it is very good/strong you should be pretty safe regarding that :)

Although as Robbo said there, just remembered you had signal issues with the GS 3 (maybe you had a faulty GS 3?) so the S might be worse :( (could always try it and return it if it does?)

Also that is another alternative to consider there, which Sarge mentioned.

Last edited:
Maybe he would prefer a Lumia, he'd probably get money back from one of those too. I have no idea how good they are for signal quality though, I actually convinced myself not to buy one! :eek:

I have been tempted by the One S a few times, though (whenever I go into the shop :p). It is a superb design. Though I do actually like (if not much else) the GS3 design now, it does the job.

I also think TW Fox will love it if he actually tries one, but he didn't answer in his thread when I asked him.

I imagine they would be fairly good since it is nokia? Make quality phones :cool:

Wait a second! WHAT!?!??!

- you didn't get a lumia
- tempted by the one S a few times

:eek: :eek: :eek:

What has happened to you Robbo?!?!?! :p

Pfffft TW fox is doomed to the sensation forever! :p No hope for him! :D :p

The piece of plastic at the top and bottom and the plastic volume rocker combined with how thin and light the device is will have put him off, needs to be at least 200g in weight and be at least 13mm thick :D :D

It really is up to you and what suits you best. (***Chopped out essay Nexus matey as people may get annoyed if I quote it***)

Hey mate,

I liked the S3 it just seemed to big and easy to break in my pocket! The signal wasn't amazing on it but it certainly wasn't hideous. My friend who had a s3 has had signal issues at home which he didn't with the 4s.

The screen quality on the S3 certainly was amazing, I watched the sample video on it and was blown away at the time!

I love sense, my partner has my htc desire and the phone to use still feels very easy to me!Its interesting that you use a different launcher etc. This launcher would make the GS3 and HOS similar to use presumably?

I did find the S3 too big, but as I said thanks to quitting smoking I've put on a couple of kilos which has taken up my err free jean space somewhat!
The £150 back is a big incentive for going for the HOS I must admit as it could be used for other things such as sky tv for a year (have half price for 12mo which I can use still).

I found the battery life to be more than acceptable on the S3, infact I have a screenshot somewhere -

I had figured that most apps didn't really take advantage of any more than the one or possibly two cores! Jellybean is something that I haven't looked into so I suppose thats worth taking a look at!

I didn't have the GS3 long enough to pay much attention to storage, certainly back in the days of the Desire storage was a ballache, but only due to the mediocre 100mb or so for apps. I have used around 9 gigs on my 4s which is mainly pictures with a few apps and bits and pieces. Expandable storage does appeal to me but whether I need it I don't know!

With regards to touchwiz looking a bit childish I do agree with you there, but I'm just looking at custom roms now to see what I could get rid of!
I'm leaning towards the HOS due to the size and sense, but I can't work out if I'd really regret not using my last chance to get it right and going back to that screen which I found quite frankly amazing! (Then again £150 back is a lot of money!)

You should definitely get the S3, especially as you don't mind the aesthetics of it (that's pretty much the only place the One S is possibly better, depending on your taste).

It isn't too big and you'll get used to it. I don't even notice mine in my pocket... ever.

Edit: and HTC Sense, too, but that shouldn't be a big deal because you can emulate/better most of it fairly easily.

I loved the screen on the S3, it felt bloody massive in my pocket and the default keyboard text prediction is pants but I believe it was you that suggested a different keyboard to the stock one.

Actually Robbo, I was eyeing up this bad boy here for when I hate whatever I replace it with :

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/ALCATEL-OT-209/PPAY&clearance=false

;)

In short I don't know what on earth to change it to!!

God damn it you guys have had like a 1 hour conversation whilst I was replying to that -

O2 website says my coverage at home and at work is excellent. Pitty our property is granite and acts like domestos to mobile signal - kills 99.999% :(

I loved the screen on the S3, it felt bloody massive in my pocket and the default keyboard text prediction is pants but I believe it was you that suggested a different keyboard to the stock one.

I think the size is just something you have to get used to. The stock keyboard isn't great, Swiftkey 3 is the best of them all by a mile. Just get that. :)

If it was the Galaxy Note then fair enough, but the size of the S3 is fairly easy to get used to, however it may take a bit of time considering the iPhone is really small in comparison.

Actually Robbo, I was eyeing up this bad boy here for when I hate whatever I replace it with :

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/ALCATEL-OT-209/PPAY&clearance=false

;)

In short I don't know what on earth to change it to!!

Looks brilliant! :p

I'm going to bring out a limited edition hand carved wood trim case for the 1S.

Don't forget a small BMW logo on the back.

Ribbed .... you still on about phone cases :eek::eek::D
It looks ribbed! Can't think of any other way to describe it :p

Got bored at work so decided to go for the Diztronic case, it's on the way hopefully! Thanks for posting that pic though.

Just called TMobile and they've given me a last-ditch SIM-only deal to keep me.

300mins (+500 to T-Mobile numbers)
Free to 0845 numbers
5000 texts
Unlimited data
12 month contract

I was all set to go on the £10 goodybag from Giff Gaff which is 250mins, UL texts and UL data. Hmn what to do!

@Mike

Firstly regarding the reception, you should be grand then as I am also on o2 and have no problems with the reception regarding drop outs and always low signal etc., according to their site it should be excellent too.

It only seems to be a problem if you haven't got great coverage to begin with........

Only problem is that it isn't as consistent as what it should be (I think).

Secondly regarding battery life and that screenshot, that SS alone doesn't tell me anything about battery life!!!! :p

I am guessing you didn't have the screen on for long or/and very low brightness though, going by the percentage?

Also guessing it was just the standard usage but not too heavy like phone calls, texts bit of browsing etc. spread throughout the 2 days?

That sort of usage is possible on the S as well (can see my battery life throughout the S review thread and skillmisters etc. in this thread)

Both phones are more or less the same in this area, would say the S just edges it overall though due to the screen size and res as well as the S4 chip.

There is no denying that the GS 3 has got a better screen, you may be happy enough with the S screen though? A lot of people who did have the X went to the S and said they personally didn't miss the screen at all.

Again, this is all down to you though.

Well yeah if you use the same apps i.e. launcher etc. then both phones will look exactly the same etc. apart from stuff like the system menus, the magnifying glass, copy and paste things of sense etc. and same goes for the touchwiz alternatives.

But if you like sense, then you won't have to bother with installing all these 3rd party apps in the first place.

The main reason I use a 3rd party launcher is due to customization and having more features, I love the stock sense launcher overall particularly the widgets but much prefer mrk's black ICS layout (really my design/layout TBPH............... :p :p :p)

z2zsu.png

Plus it soooooo good due to the blacks on AMOLED screens :cool:

I use quick ics browser largely due to better quick ics controls and being slightly faster at loading/rendering pages and a more minimal UI. Although the sense browser is superb, if HTC update the quick ics controls with more options like the "trigger area size" I would go back to it instantly.

The stock sense keyboard is great especially once calibrated, again I just use swiftkey 3 due to much better prediction amongst other things, which are rather neat. Quite liking the JB keyboard as well now, largely due to the colour scheme/UI and prediction seems pretty good, but it lacks the cursor keys.

The dialer and SMS apps are also great, nice and simple and look pretty, I currently use ex dialer now though as recently it got more features implemented and the black ICS theme looks superb, as for SMS I currently use go sms (the only reason for this is due to being able to customize it to a nice black/blue ICS theme to fit with my homescreens and ex dailer if the sense SMS app had a black background or a more ICS style, I would be back onto it.

Only apps that I am left with it is the stock calendar, gallery, camera etc.

However, as you are aware it is more than just the apps, you have the underlying features, which can't be changed (unless rooted etc.) like the notification bar (personally really like the look of sense notification bar), the "style" of the integrated features like copy and paste functions etc.

TBH, I feel the same with every phone, like all of them would snap in my pocket if sat on etc. :p Not a big big guy either. But the one S has an aluminium uni-body which gives the phone a nice sturdy feel to it.

Regarding jellybean features:

- project butter - vysnc of 60FPS therefore all animations should be super smooth with no lag/stutter (not that I have noticed any of this badly on the S though apart from google earth 3D view thing and tab animations in the stock sense browser), so in theory all phones that get this should all be more or less the same then

- google voice - HTC were reported to be working on this a few months ago, so they will probably bring their modified version as well

- notification bar/tray improvements

Amongst a few other things.

Again the GS 3 will get this update, just no idea when. Of course if you root then you could flash a working version long before the GS 3 gets it officially.

Now that you mention root etc. the GS 3 is far better than the S in this area.

From what you have said there, storage shouldn't be an issue for you unless you intend on installing 1-2GB games, throwing like 5GB of music on along with films and tv episodes etc. :p

What about the one X as an option? Although the battery life isn't that great and it is also roughly the same size as the GS 3 (slightly smaller but not as comfortable in the hand I found), the screen is stunning on it as well, some think it is better than the GS 3 screen. And overall IMO it isn't as good as the S, other areas where the X is better is:

- more internal storage
- NFC
- tegra games (without having to root and install chainfire etc.)

Can you not just get the S and see how you get on with it for a few days and return it within 7 days if you experience problems or don't like it? Or you could just sell it on ebay or arrange a trade etc.?

Last edited:

Do you know what mate, that whole black thing you've got going on there has swayed me towards the S.

I found the GS3 to be too big to text on one handed, and no I don't text whilst driving! I find touchscreens impossible without looking at what I'm doing anyway.

The battery life was with little use iirc, infact im fairly certain it was as I was afraid to drop the damn thing!

I think given the £150 back, the fact that you can still get MHL adapters for the One S and (if you can send me that black calendar // other stuff theme) then I'm going to go One S.

You can indeed swap a phone if its on pay as you go within 14 days so I shall errr get the One S on o2 pay as you go ;)

hehe it does work wonders that layout :D :D :D

The amount of people that ask me about that layout, mostly the icons whenever I post it somewhere on XDA is unbelievable :eek: (of course credits always go to mrk :))

However, you can get that exact same layout on any android phone even the GS 3 :)

So don't just go for the S purely because of that layout :p

Regarding the widgets etc.

Left screen - APW widgets with pro license key with the modern ICS skin

Middle screen - weather widget with the built in sketchy skin and custom text colour, agenda widget and shortcut text icons (will upload the backed up settings closer to the time)

Right screen - power toggle widget, notes/tasks widget

Lastly the launcher is Apex

With these dock icons (again made by mrk):

eMSNI.png lJqJJ.png kcKTK.png KgJ9N.png Gf9fO.png

Just need to transfer those icons onto the mobile SD card section and hold down on the dock icons and choose "apply icon/picture without cropping" then navigate using the gallery and select the required icon.

Back
Top Bottom