*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Phew! Thank god for that! :D

:p

Couldn't be bothered with a protector on the camera lens. Does it affect your photo quality at all?

Probably! You'd not catch me sticking plastic over any of my Nikon dslr lens for sure. It was part of the Martin Fields screen protector that soon began to peel. I don't use the phone camera a right lot though confess the HTC One series cameras are a good step forward and to me would make carry a compact camera pointless?

Sounds good that screen protector! Might give them a shot as well. Still have my HTC one on and it is in perfect condition, only annoying thing with it is the way that the greasy marks and fingerprints show up much more easily now (can't imagine this being much different with any other brand of SP though?), nothing that a quick wipe can sort out though :p

They all seem to be fingerprint magnets including the Kolas ones I mention. Hateful things the lot of them though I know fine grit in my pocket (despite being careful) will scratch the glass.

Some more great news regarding updates (specifically 4.1 :D) in some ways..........(I hope!)

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/19/htc-one-xl-one-s-jelly-bean/

EDIT:

not many people really talking about what the update improves! :mad:

But so far, these seem to be the main things:

Looking at the plus's the poster mentioned I don't remember the One S ever getting very warm anyway? - unlike the One X.

I just dug this up in the GS2 thread: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=19060303&postcount=2775

img6106s.jpg

:p

Screen protector wise i got a pack of 10 from the rainforest site, search for HTC ONE S CLEAR 10in1 LCD SCREEN PROTECTOR SHIELD WITH CLEANING CLOTH

They are a better fit than the Giant branded ones IMO, they seemed slightly too big, these are a better fit and a touch smaller than the screen. I lined the top up with the top of the screen and there is a few mm's at the bottom so they could do with installing a mm or so from the top rather than bob on.
Better than them too big and looking like they arent stuck down at the edges!
Screen clarity doesnt appear to be affected but obviously picks up more greasy finger marks as all screen protectors seem to do.

My goodness!

That is an old version of the black minimal layout :p The new modern version is much better :cool:

Looking at the plus's the poster mentioned I don't remember the One S ever getting very warm anyway? - unlike the One X.

Yeah, not too sure what that guy is going on about unless the mobile stays pretty much cool all the time now even after long hours of playing games and using google earth 3D view (only times where the mobile gets slightly warm to touch)

God damnit Nexus, I was completely sold on the HOS then and now you've made me wonder.....

Perhaps I can live with a phone as big as the GS3!

Up to you :)

Anything that one android phone can do, it is pretty much guaranteed that it can be done on the other million android devices out there :p

At the end of the day it comes down to hardware, personal preference and the software already on the phone.

Such nonsense is to be expected from someone who championed the Motorola Defy. :o

:D

That may have been me who was rattling on about the Defy :o Can't say I championed it though you got to admire the signal reception. Razr hasn't a lot going for it really and is a little dated now. Being Motorola I would think it'd have good signal reception too. I'm happy with reception on my One X. Apart from the 'death grip' which seems to affect it a little and mostly in the house it is a lot better than my One S. Between the X and SG3 then I dunno, each to their own. I couldn't decide and went for the X because it just felt that little better in the hand - that and my preference for Sense over Touchwiz. Either will do the job very well :p

I'm still subscribed to the Motorola Defy+ support forum and still get emails as someone posts ...... mostly to bitch on about the Defy not getting ICS and the fact the phone keeps rebooting. I used my Defy today as I was doing something risky for a phone in your pocket. Smash the Defy and it's hardly a big loss :D Since I loaded CyanogenMod ICS it has never rebooted again and battery life has been a lot better. But still Moto support say the answer to the reboot issue is to swap the sim :rolleyes:

That may have been me who was rattling on about the Defy :o Can't say I championed it though you got to admire the signal reception. Razr hasn't a lot going for it really and is a little dated now. Being Motorola I would think it'd have good signal reception too. I'm happy with reception on my One X. Apart from the 'death grip' which seems to affect it a little and mostly in the house it is a lot better than my One S. Between the X and SG3 then I dunno, each to their own. I couldn't decide and went for the X because it just felt that little better in the hand - that and my preference for Sense over Touchwiz. Either will do the job very well :p

I'm still subscribed to the Motorola Defy+ support forum and still get emails as someone posts ...... mostly to bitch on about the Defy not getting ICS and the fact the phone keeps rebooting. I used my Defy today as I was doing something risky for a phone in your pocket. Smash the Defy and it's hardly a big loss :D Since I loaded CyanogenMod ICS it has never rebooted again and battery life has been a lot better. But still Moto support say the answer to the reboot issue is to swap the sim :rolleyes:

Ha, no, it was definitely Sarge. He loves sturdy devices that you can play with in the bath. :D

I'm pleased you're getting on well with the X, despite my many complaints, one thing I found to be rock solid was the signal (as I no doubt told you before).

It looks ribbed! Can't think of any other way to describe it :p

Got bored at work so decided to go for the Diztronic case, it's on the way hopefully! Thanks for posting that pic though.

NP :) To me it's like the patterning on a shotgun stock where the hand sits which is called checkering though ribbed would describe it too. Whatever it does improve grip. Now have one on my One X though for going out the One X can go commando ;)

Just called TMobile and they've given me a last-ditch SIM-only deal to keep me.

300mins (+500 to T-Mobile numbers)
Free to 0845 numbers
5000 texts
Unlimited data
12 month contract

I was all set to go on the £10 goodybag from Giff Gaff which is 250mins, UL texts and UL data. Hmn what to do!

If T-Mob have good signal in your area then stick with them. O2 are rubbish in our area and thus Giffgaff I would suppose? They use O2 network or have I got that wrong?

Ha, no, it was definitely Sarge. He loves sturdy devices that you can play with in the bath. :D

LMAO. :D

I'm pleased you're getting on well with the X, despite my many complaints, one thing I found to be rock solid was the signal (as I no doubt told you before).

It's not that the S is a bad phone. I like the size of the S though love the bigger screen of the X :D S suffers too much with signal flicking from mast to mast which the One X does not do. My one X was dropping signal and then not bothering to reconnect when I first got it on the stock ROM. Not a big issue and only occasional. I thought I'd give the ViperX rom a go as I'd rooted it and does still does lose sig a bit in old stone buildings where sig is a little marginal (as you'd expect) but reconnects as soon as sig becomes available. Why the ViperX rom has improved that I dunno. ViperX is a Sense rom btw.

You're like........ toying with my emotions here man :p

What now disturbs me is that Richy says the One X has a lot better signal than the S?

Pretty much. I have both the X and the S currently. I got the X because of the poor signal reception I was getting in places where it shouldn't be too much of a prob. really depends where you use your phone. If you have poor signal in your house DO NOT GET the S. That said see if you can try one first. X isn't perfect but does fair a lot better and stopped me grumbling :D Nexus suggested I try a Samsung GS2 which I got one second hand. It turned out to be worse than the One S which surprised him (and me). I'm currently on Three network and live in the sticks though have good LOS to a mast. Trouble is the One S will use it then swap from several masts and settle on a weaker one. That what appears to be going on here. One X connects to our nearest mast and will stay on it. Try explaining all this to either Three UK support or HTC support and you soon lose the will to live :mad:

Damn right! ;):D
The old Defy was brilliant running CM, wish I'd kept mine as a backup :( (It was from the Desire/Galaxy era don't forget!)
Shame Motorola decided to screw owners on support then reduce the brand to super cheap ****, that's one way to haemorrhage customers (Richy, you should've swapped yours asap)

If you have poor signal in your house DO NOT GET the S.

+1

hehe it does work wonders that layout :D :D :D

The amount of people that ask me about that layout, mostly the icons whenever I post it somewhere on XDA is unbelievable :eek: (of course credits always go to mrk :))

However, you can get that exact same layout on any android phone even the GS 3 :)

So don't just go for the S purely because of that layout :p

Regarding the widgets etc.

Left screen - APW widgets with pro license key with the modern ICS skin

Middle screen - weather widget with the built in sketchy skin and custom text colour, agenda widget and shortcut text icons (will upload the backed up settings closer to the time)

Right screen - power toggle widget, notes/tasks widget

Lastly the launcher is Apex

With these dock icons (again made by mrk):

eMSNI.png lJqJJ.png kcKTK.png KgJ9N.png Gf9fO.png

Just need to transfer those icons onto the mobile SD card section and hold down on the dock icons and choose "apply icon/picture without cropping" then navigate using the gallery and select the required icon.

Where is the all black wallpaper from?

That would just be a black wallpaper from google images :p

aLgrw.png

IIRC there is an option in apex to not have a wallpaper though (so will just be black as well).

Don't ask Nexus anything, he lets you fall for his ideals or ways and then breaks your heart! :(

I'm honestly tempted to go GS3 now, but I have a feeling the battery life will be better on the one S?

:p :D

It is slightly better than the GS 3, however, not by enough to worry about and plus with the GS 3 you will be able to buy an extended battery at some point and carry spares around if you want. Either way you are going to have to charge either phone every night or 2 days anyway.

The dialer and SMS apps are also great, nice and simple and look pretty, I currently use ex dialer now though as recently it got more features implemented and the black ICS theme looks superb, as for SMS I currently use go sms (the only reason for this is due to being able to customize it to a nice black/blue ICS theme to fit with my homescreens and ex dailer if the sense SMS app had a black background or a more ICS style, I would be back onto it.

Any chance you could post up a screenshot of your go sms theme and possibly how to set it up? Not liking the stock SMS app in Jelly Bean, it's got a white background, doesn't really fit in with a black/blue theme.

Back
Top Bottom