***The Official HTC One Thread***

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

you can slip a piece of paper into the gap. Would you accept that?

Yes - you can do it on my phone and I have accepted that - I don't have a problem with it.

It's not like I'm going to sit there all day stuffing the gap full paper causing a problem is it?

SO there's a tiny gap. Exactly what problem does it cause in my use of the phone?

home and back buttons are unresponsive

I don't find them unresponsive. The target area is a little smaller than I would have expected - are you confusing that with unresponsiveness?

I also think the gap is unacceptable. Okay, most people won't notice it but it isn't something that you should expect or ignore incase it gets worse.

If it gets worse (or the grill falls off as some fear it might) then I'll return it. It's certainly nothing that concerns me now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
No idea what the google maps app is like on the iphone :p But I think I have read a few other people saying the same, will have to watch a video comparison.

The problem isn't resolved by having a Google maps app - Apple have a mapping API which used to use Google maps but now uses Apple maps - if you're a developer you have no choice but to use it. When my local (mainline, popular) station wasn't listed on Apple maps it made me realise what an issue some developers would have, imagine having a train app where even larger stations aren't listed! Thankfully it's a lot better now but the damage was done.

Associate
Yes - you can do it on my phone and I have accepted that - I don't have a problem with it.

It's not like I'm going to sit there all day stuffing the gap full paper causing a problem is it?

SO there's a tiny gap. Exactly what problem does it cause in my use of the phone?

I don't find them unresponsive. The target area is a little smaller than I would have expected - are you confusing that with unresponsiveness?

If it gets worse (or the grill falls off as some fear it might) then I'll return it. It's certainly nothing that concerns me now.

Defensive much?

if paper can slip between the gap would it not therefore allow fine dust/grit equally easy transit beneath the glass and between screen ?

htc/sony/apple/samsung/nokia no matter who made this it is not acceptable period.

Soldato
Personally, a small gap wouldn't bother me in the slightest as long as the phone itself felt solid. If there was any movement when pushed down I would send it back or if there were issues with the buttons being unresponsive.

Just having a mess around on my Note 2 and I can slide a bit of paper into the bottom section between back battery cover and phone. Total non issue for me though, on these Samsungs I've noticed that even though the back cover is firmly clicked into place, you do get a 'creaking' sound if you push down around the edges. These are only very minor issues for me personally.

Associate
Is it? I hope it as as I'm sure I saw some pics with them sliding a piece of paper through the gap and you could see it appear between the glass and screen.

This cropped up in this thread about a week ago, the phone that was in that video wasn't the one it was a cheap Chinese knock off. Possibly put on a Taiwanese forum by Samsung or Samsung affiliate.

On the camera front here are some sample images I've taken, I don't claim them to be any good whatsoever, I still need to spend a lot more time with the feature although I'm not completely blown away by the low light and I think I may have run into the ISO issue a few times. These are on auto, top one Sharpness minus 1. Rest on Sharpness minus 2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/79auoesxan2ujf5/2013-04-14 12.45.43.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vv1j3j4y5knpn0/2013-04-13 22.42.08.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvfyfchzhoix0gj/2013-04-14 12.09.12.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4cdj6ngq4xaoy2/2013-04-14 12.10.06.jpg

Soldato

Sigh - a bit touchy aren't we? It's only a phone I'm not exactly dissing you and I am entitled to my point of view.

Must I repeat myself again? Read my last posts - I had two HTC One's, the first one had a minor gap but I wasn't bothered about it everything was fine with it then the unresponsiveness issue kicked in. Having spoken to P4U and HTC they both said return the phone to them. HTC said that they will be releasing a software update to address the problem.

The second HO that I have had a bigger gap compared to the first HO and that to me is unacceptable seeing as the first HO had a minor gap and this one is far bigger if it was the same size then I would've kept the phone.

It will most likely cause a problem and when it does I guarentee you that you will be changing the phone as soon as you can.

I'm not ignorant and I'm not confusing the target area which is smaller with unresponsiveness. I keep hitting the buttons exactly on the same spot and it doesn't respond. You must have magic fingers that you don't have the issue but again at some point you will come across it if not now then later.

Just accept the fact that I am not happy with the phone and I have every right to reject it. It's not like I'm having a go at you or a member of your family. It's only a phone so why do you have to defend as if your life depends on it?

Soldato
My sisters iphone 5 has chipping on and she looks after it lovingly she isn't happy seeing as she only had it 4 weeks, as said all phones have issues.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Defensive much?

if paper can slip between the gap would it not therefore allow fine dust/grit equally easy transit beneath the glass and between screen ?

htc/sony/apple/samsung/nokia no matter who made this it is not acceptable period.

The paper stops when it reaches the edge of the screen - at least on my unit. It seems it's just the top speaker grill that has a tiny gap behind it in the middle.

But fine, yes I agree, anyone has the right to return something they are not happy with.

I just think it's a shame that people are doing that though and missing out on a great phone for a "defect" that I didn't even notice was there until someone pointed it out. I suppose I just have low standards!

Soldato
^^ It is a very good phone and I really do like it to the point that I am actually contemplating getting one further down the line once HTC have got their manufacturing issues out - I did exactly the same for the HOS when it came down to the chipping issues.

For me it is the phone to have, I just have to wait it out I guess.

You don't have low standards, you've accepted the gap for what it is, I would've accepted the gap and slight chipping on my first HO but then the dreaded insensitive back and home button fault came into play and the phone had to go back.

@aaron - The One screen compared to the Xperia Z totally destroys it. I don't understand why Sony only chose to use the Bravia engine for certain aspects of the phone. They should've used it throughout - very strange decision.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The more I play around with a One in various shops, the more I think I want one.

It seems to only have 3 homescreens whereas my Sensation has 5. Effectively only 2 homescreens once you disregard the useless Blinkfeed. Is this a setting or is this really the case? Seems like a backward step?

Man of Honour

To be fair half the appeal of the HTC One is the look and feel of the device. If you didn't care about asthetics you'd have waited for a cheap and cheerful plastic Galaxy S4 - so to say it doesnt matter as it doesnt cause issues with the use of the phone is missing the point.

Associate
On the camera front here are some sample images I've taken, I don't claim them to be any good whatsoever, I still need to spend a lot more time with the feature although I'm not completely blown away by the low light and I think I may have run into the ISO issue a few times. These are on auto, top one Sharpness minus 1. Rest on Sharpness minus 2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/79auoesxan2ujf5/2013-04-14 12.45.43.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vv1j3j4y5knpn0/2013-04-13 22.42.08.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvfyfchzhoix0gj/2013-04-14 12.09.12.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4cdj6ngq4xaoy2/2013-04-14 12.10.06.jpg

Any comments on theses samples? Getting slightly worried I've not got the best sample in the world... :confused::(

Soldato
Is it? I hope it as as I'm sure I saw some pics with them sliding a piece of paper through the gap and you could see it appear between the glass and screen.

The problem with a post like this is that someone else will read it and think it's true as well. You cannot slide a bit of paper between the screen and glass and there are no dust issues I'm aware of - I've been using the One for a while now and have had no issues of that nature.

Last edited:
Caporegime
To be fair half the appeal of the HTC One is the look and feel of the device. If you didn't care about asthetics you'd have waited for a cheap and cheerful plastic Galaxy S4 - so to say it doesnt matter as it doesnt cause issues with the use of the phone is missing the point.

But how does that tiny gap affect the rest of the perceived quality, design and feel in the hand? Yes you may notice it when looking at the top of the phone and feel it when your finger runs along that area but I can spot and feel several gaps/lines on my S and even more on every other phone.

A tiny gap in 1/2 small areas does not ruin the rest of those things overall.

As I said before, I don't think the gap will cause any problems with regards to dust getting under the screen etc. in the long run (those photos were of a fake one or something), the worse that could happen is that gap continues to expand over time and the speaker cover falls of (stuck on with glue)

Again, no problems if people aren't happy with it and want a device where there is no gap, after all they can do what they want :p

For me, the design/feel are very important, however, IMO there is more to the one than just the aesthetics etc. which are better "overall" than every other android phone and is why I would get one as opposed to the GS 4 (even if the design wasn't much/any better than the GS 4) etc.;

- sense, might not be as feature rich as touchwiz overall (which are really just apps from the market but renamed and tweaked for better or worse and most importantly they will most likely be ported over as apps soon just like the smart stay, rotate etc.), but it sure looks a damn site nicer imo, has a unified feel throughout, not as bloated and the camera, gallery and browser apps can't be matched (my 2 main usage areas when it comes to a phone). One of the main reasons why I won't ever touch a Samsung device if touchwiz remains the same/similar

- speakers, not so much the loudness but the quality as well as placement, it really is stupid having speakers on the back, after all you don't turn your speakers for your TV/PC etc. facing the other way :p

- camera overall with regards to FOV, video recording, features, all round a good performer in every condition especially macros

Main unique points for me of the gS 4 over the one would be air gestures, gorilla glass 3 (if it proves itself to be worthwhile in real world usage), 5" SAMOLED screen.

@Tazzfalcon

To me it looks like those shots are suffering from the ISO problem and not a steady hand for a few?

I personally think -2 sharpness is too much (should only be used if you plan to add sharpening yourself later with photoshop etc.), -1 is the sweet spot

If you want a bit more colour, try putting the contrast or saturation up by one.

Also, mess about with HDR in more shots, it actually seems to do really well in nearly all conditions.

Also remember to try the auto enhance effect out via the gallery app.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom