***The Official HTC One Thread***

Man of Honour
It is incredibly difficult to search for things about the HTC One as you usually turn up 95% of results relating to the One S, One X, One V etc. What a monumentally stupid name.

Man of Honour
Is £489.99 the best SIM Free price we can expect for this phone? It's massively cheaper than the £599.99 the same retailer wants for the Galaxy S4, I'd have thought the Samsung would have been cheaper, it certainly feels like it is ;)

Soldato
From what I understand Zoe just takes a number of photos over three seconds so you can pick the best one. Is that about it? On a side note I discovered the video it makes of each gallery event and that is really good, compiling some great videos.

The longer I have this phone the more I enjoy everything about it, it just gets better and better.

Soldato
Also to give some feedback on the build quality of mine:

I do have a small visible gap at top and bottom, larger on the top, however I cannot fit a piece of paper down there.

Also if I run my finger across the top speaker and over the top edge of the screen, it doesn't feel completely flush, whereas at the bottom it feels absolutely flush. The difference is tiny though, certainly not measurable.

The top left corner of the glass isn't completely flush, so that I can just about feel the edge of the corner sticking up, again, I can feel it, but it isn't really even visible, nor measurable.

The most prominent fault as such on mine is the overhang on the top and bottom right corners, worse at the bottom, and just about visible if I hold it up to the light.

Sounds like quite a few problems, but I've made them sound a lot more prominent for the sake of description than they are in reality. I'm not in denial about the build quality- it could have been better/more perfect, but I'm satisfied with mine, whereas others have received much poorer units.

Soldato
From what I understand Zoe just takes a number of photos over three seconds so you can pick the best one. Is that about it? On a side note I discovered the video it makes of each gallery event and that is really good, compiling some great videos.

The longer I have this phone the more I enjoy everything about it, it just gets better and better.

It does a few more things like automatically compiles your Zoe photos into short video clips etc. plus has sharing capabilities. Check out my Facebook. ;)

Associate
Thanks for the comments on the photos all.

@Nexus - I think you were spot on with all your advice. I think coming from an 8mpx phone as well, I was overestimating the level of sharpness at crop, so my expectations were to high. Apart from that having had a much more extensive play with it in the sun this afternoon and at home in low light this evening I'm happy with it overall. Changing the contrast, sharpness and using HDR all make tangible improvements in varying conditions. Getting a good focus lock also works wonders (unsurprisingly). My only gripe is the inability to tweak the camera settings. I find it both somewhat limited and fiddly to do, more so than with my S2 I would say. I know you can't expect full manual control on a smartphone (I wish!) but being able to change the mode of focus (AF, center weighted, grid, etc.) is something the S2 could do so it's definitely missed, although presumably the photo preset modes (landscape, portrait, backlite etc.) will have something of those built into them.

It's just limited for the sake of some arbitrary (and wide of the mark) sense of simplicity I guess. Not exactly alone there though.

I've just discovered the auto-highlight reels. Amazing! The Gallery really is a very smart bit of software indeed.

On the build quality front, I've got most of the issues Doohicky has (no bottom gap though thankfully) I think most of the issues with overhang/screen lift are imperceptible without a really, really hard look and it's only by feel that you can tell at all in most cases. I don't know about QC standards for phones and such but I don't think something you can only measure by human feel really counts as a genuine fault. As I said when my phone arrived I'm happy to think of these as little signatures to my particular handset.

Caporegime
Unfortunately that is the main downside of 4MP compared to 8/13MP, cropping :(

The camera UI is a bit of a step down from sense V4+, they have made it harder/take longer to change some stuff, I like the UI and the way the camera works over other android skins, but the one thing I like from the galaxy devices is being able to add/change shortcuts on the side.

Yup, would also love to have more choice/access to manual control especially shutter speed! IIRC HTC did have some options regarding focus options on sense V4 but removed it with V4+, not sure why......

Hopefully they will improve it with a software update.....

There should be an option to enable a grid view.

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;24118553 said:
Is £489.99 the best SIM Free price we can expect for this phone? It's massively cheaper than the £599.99 the same retailer wants for the Galaxy S4, I'd have thought the Samsung would have been cheaper, it certainly feels like it is ;)

s4 will drop down to 500 very quick.. im sure of it :) and one will probably end up at ~450ish..

Permabanned
Can you use the car dock on a desk? Reason I ask is that it looks great but on the website it says it automatically put the phone into car mode, can you turn that feature off?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24118005 said:
The more I play around with a One in various shops, the more I think I want one.

Me too.

To me the HTC One, Samsung S4 and the Xperia Z are largely the same. The main differing aspect between them is the build quality. For me, the HTC One feels like the best phone (build wise). It actually feels like £500 worth of technology in your hands when you hold it. Compare this to the S4 and it's like you're holding a toy phone. The Xperia Z is worth significant merit. However user preference also plays a part, and for me I prefer the One more than the Z.

Back
Top Bottom