***The Official HTC One Thread***

Soldato
i just dont get it?! htc admits its a problem and it can get a lot worse overtime too! just how hard is it to understand that he simply whats to buy and receive what he has ordered?! if htc was put together and shown off with a gap and that this was what they designed to be then no one would complain.

he is paying the full price for a headset so he should get the thing that is advertised and not think about "putting up with tiny little gap" i would send my phone back too no matter what it is samsung htc or sony it would go back if it was faulty.

even if its a little pixel, dent, scratch or a gap that shouldn't be there i haven't got an offer on it, i bought a brand new phone and i should get what i paid for.

my 2c

Associate
But their not advertising that fact are they? the no gap refers to the back of the phone and the once piece of aluminium used to construct it. The front grill is inevitable as as mentioned before its just stuck down with adhesive and is not part of the one piece design.

And how exactly will it get worse...I can stick a bit of paper down the side of a Galaxy S3 or pretty much just about any other phone bar maybe the iPhone and am I worried the phone is going to fall apart? No.

Dead pixels, dents etc I completely agree with you...however this "gap" is just part of the manufacturing process hence why I suggested if it does not appeal to him get an Iphone or worse a Galaxy S3 where lo and behold you can even stick two bits of paper down the side...every side that is.

As mentioned before the No gap refers to the back not the front and as the grills are stuck down only by adhesive you will always have this problem and as such if you have issue with it you should maybe look at getting a different handset.

Soldato
if it was a manufacturing process and a normal thing htc wouldn't accept returns for this :) nor would they officially comment on it.. nor would each phone have a different size of the "Gap" between screen, plastic w/e.. this is a fault and the phone should not be like that.

Man of Honour
I also think the gap is unacceptable. Okay, most people won't notice it but it isn't something that you should expect or ignore incase it gets worse.

If a lot of the phones have this problem then it has to go down as a massive failure on HTCs part. :(

Soldato
Wow is all I can say. I honestly don't think you will get a phone that's just right for you Stoosh if your that nit-picky. May as well look at a different handset if im honest as I don't think if you order another one it wont have the same tiny little gap...its to do with the design process as the two front aluminium grills are just glued on so will always have a slight gap, the no gap design refers to the rear aluminium body. So no matter how many you go through you will still have the same issue im guessing. Same with any other unibody phone in that there will always be some perceived "flaw" in it. Not that I am a fan of the iphone but that is about the only phone that will satisfy your demand for "quality".

I've had my fair share of phones to understand that no phone is perfect but I'm far from being nit picky. What I'm trying to get across is the fact that I've had two HO's now and they both have had various issues. So I've had extreme bad luck getting two phones that are below par when it comes to manufacturing quality?

Let me explain something to you there's a correlation when it comes to HTC and their QC. If a HTC representative is admitting to me that there is a fault with the phone and that I should take it back then why shouldn't I do that? I'm well within my rights to do so. Just because you would most likely put up and take sub standard merchandise that's your prerogative but certainly not mine.

Why should I use a phone with a design flaw that I most likely going to get worse over time? When I spend my hard earned cash on a gadget I expect to get my monies worth. I certainly wouldn't touch an iPhone as I'm not interested in any Apple products and have a dislike for them. Even Apple had a chipping issue with the iPhone 5 so you can't exactly call them a "quality" product.

The bottom line is this whether you like it or not - HTC have admitted that there's a manufacturing defect that has affected some of their phones which stops them from being called uni body. I as a consumer have the right to reject goods that are not of a merchantable quality and this phone certainly fits the bill and I certainly won't be getting another HTC One. I'm done with the phone.

Soldato
But their not advertising that fact are they? the no gap refers to the back of the phone and the once piece of aluminium used to construct it. The front grill is inevitable as as mentioned before its just stuck down with adhesive and is not part of the one piece design.

And how exactly will it get worse...I can stick a bit of paper down the side of a Galaxy S3 or pretty much just about any other phone bar maybe the iPhone and am I worried the phone is going to fall apart? No.

Dead pixels, dents etc I completely agree with you...however this "gap" is just part of the manufacturing process hence why I suggested if it does not appeal to him get an Iphone or worse a Galaxy S3 where lo and behold you can even stick two bits of paper down the side...every side that is.

As mentioned before the No gap refers to the back not the front and as the grills are stuck down only by adhesive you will always have this problem and as such if you have issue with it you should maybe look at getting a different handset.

So explain why the screen is raised at the top of the HO and the failure of the Home and Back buttons not working? Care to also explain the overhangs and chipping issues that some owners have been experiencing? Its not down to the uni body but HTC's poor QC control. I don't make it a habit of sticking bits of paper down the sides of phones but I sure as hell am not going to put up with shoddy workmanship on a phone and thats for sure. And for your info I had a Galaxy S3 and S3 LTE and I couldn't be happier with both phones even though they were made out of plastic and resembled a fisher price toy at least they worked and had no problem with the build quality.

If the no gap refers to the back then HTC should advertise it as such - no gap back uni body and NOT uni body construction which is rather ambiguous. I will be looking at other phones - the X , S4 and Nexus 5 and will have probably bought them all at some point cos that's what I do.

Last edited:
Soldato
i just dont get it?! htc admits its a problem and it can get a lot worse overtime too! just how hard is it to understand that he simply whats to buy and receive what he has ordered?! if htc was put together and shown off with a gap and that this was what they designed to be then no one would complain.

he is paying the full price for a headset so he should get the thing that is advertised and not think about "putting up with tiny little gap" i would send my phone back too no matter what it is samsung htc or sony it would go back if it was faulty.

even if its a little pixel, dent, scratch or a gap that shouldn't be there i haven't got an offer on it, i bought a brand new phone and i should get what i paid for.

my 2c

+1000

It's all there in black and white....and yet some people fail to understand what's going on!

This is getting tiresome Dude...*sigh*

You might as well be talking to a brick wall....

Last edited:
Soldato
I got mine yesterday. After reading this thread I've just noticed a small gap at the top right hand side, similar to the issue stoosh has, but not quite as bad. Got a little overhang on the top right hand corner too.

I'm keeping it in a case though. Mainly because I couldn't bare to scratch the lovely metal surface. So I think I'm gonna live with it.

Caporegime
Just read through Brian's review (anandtech) and he confirmed about the zero gap only being the back and part of the sides/top/bottom, the speaker grill isn't part of the CNC process thus the zero gap part is perfectly fine since the problem isn't actually with the metal body but that speaker piece which is stuck on with glue apparently.

I am not saying that there isn't a problem/fault with that gap as clearly there is from what stoosh has posted regarding htc acknowledging that it is a problem etc., just clearing the situation up regarding the zero gap part and that gap :p :)

Personally IMO I don't think the gap is a serious/huge issue (of course if people aren't happy with it then fair enough, they have every right to return it and get their money back), I also don't think it will lead to any problems in the future with regards to dust getting under the screen etc. could be wrong, just have to wait and see...... the worse that could happen is that the speaker grill falls of if it continues to expand over time :p. imo the buttons not always responding is a far more serious issue, especially if it is because HTC have made the trigger areas too small.

There have been much worse problems on pretty much every other mobile/device with the first batch even the iphone i.e. iphone 5 and chipping galore (even worse than the black one S scenario!), which is suppose to be faultless out of the box :p In fact have they even fixed that problem? Last time I checked some apple guy wrote a letter or something saying it is perfectly normal, "wear and tear" happens with every mobile device :rolleyes: Where as HTC (regarding the S) within the first couple of months acknowledge that it was a problem and that people should return their device for a new one if they experienced the problem and they got a new designed model out pretty quickly (smoother/more rounded edges and a bevelled USB port), just be thankful HTC haven't done the same as apple! :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nah the iPhone 5 chipping issue wasn't that bad. Some of the early units of the black model were damaged out of the box, but I wouldn't really say the iPhone 5 exterior damages more easily than other phones, perhaps marginally so, but it's not like the One S where it almost just chipped itself! :p

Associate
To be honest Stoosh fair enough. I personally don't see it as a major problem as I don't believe it will have any detrimental effect on the longevity of my phone, however you have raised a valid case and of course with HTC saying that, there is more than likely a problem although I also think it has something to do with this being their sort of last ditch effort to keep customers happy. If its something that bothers you as you said your quite within your right to return it. Its just a shame to be honest as its a lovely thing to use, unfortunately for you the two you have have not been up to par.

As a more helpful suggestion if you are looking for something other than the HTC I would probably suggest the Sony Xperia Z as its a great well built phone, and with it being water resistant id be a damn site peed off if there were any gaps in that ;) honestly a great phone overall and seems very well built from all the times ive played with it.

Very much of the same opinion as you Nexus.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wasn't that bad?!?! :eek: :p

People's black iphone 5's were coming out of the box chipped badly! :p AFAIK no one even had that issue with the one S out of the box. And people were saying that they were getting chipped by just being in their pocket with nothing, same as the one S users. IIRC there is even a thread in the apple sub forum for that issue alone.

Heck iirc there is even a huge thread about it on apple fanboy central site :p

edit - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1445493

It is a fault with the manufacturing process, due to the shape i.e. sharp corners (which is why it was/is common on the iphone 5 and with the S, it was mainly on the USB port and top edge) and/or both companies not leaving it for long enough to apply the finish.

Either way, their attitude towards the issue was appalling:

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/09/...pping-on-iphone-5-is-normal-says-apple-chief/

Where as HTC acknowledge it and had it fixed within a few months.

Forgot about all the other problems with the iphone 5 when released, especially the maps situation! That was funny So many great meme's came from that! :D Have they fixed/improved that app yet?

Last edited:
Soldato
I got mine yesterday. After reading this thread I've just noticed a small gap at the top right hand side, similar to the issue stoosh has, but not quite as bad. Got a little overhang on the top right hand corner too.

I'm keeping it in a case though. Mainly because I couldn't bare to scratch the lovely metal surface. So I think I'm gonna live with it.

Am glad that your gap isn't as bad as mine and that you can live with it Mate. Keeping it in case is the sensible thing to do. It's a lovely phone and certainly looks the part.

@Nexus HTC need to clear up what exactly the zero gap applies to and not advertise the phone in a ambiguous manner. That would certainly clear up the misconceptions that are floating about with regards to this phone.

I have given HTC a couple of chances as I really like their products and basically wanted a change from the Galaxy range of phones. However I'm not prepared to stick with a product that may or may not get worse over time. Maybe when HTC have revised their manufacturing process I might revisit the One again but it will take a fair few testimonials from other users on this and other forums to get me to part with my cash again.

Our friends at Apple haven't fixed the chipping issue and have basically said to customers to deal with it! Not a good attitude to take but that's Apple for you I guess.

When it comes to customer support HTC have always been great and pretty much admitted to their mistakes and done their best to rectify things. Let's hope they do the same with the One and clear up any QC and misconceptions about the design itself but until then I'm jumping off this HTC One ship.

@aaron HTC have always been helpful (certainly with my dealings with them when I had the HOX and HOS).

The Xperia Z is a good phone but the screen has its short comings with regards to viewing angles the colours become washed out and secondly Sony's track record isn't exactly great when it comes to updates. Battery life isn't great either.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll give it a miss although I had the phone on preorder back in Jan but bailed on it when I heard that the screen tech wasn't up to standard certainly not when compared to 2013 flagship phones. Even my Nexus 4 has a better screen!

Last edited:
Associate
Ive also got mine in the official HTC flip case thing...actually really surprised at how nice it is as I dont generally do cases. Goes very well with the design of the handset. Seems a shame to cover such a lovely phone but seems a good compromise as I would hate to scratch it.

Also got my official car dock coming next week. My one for the One X was invaluable so more than happy to part with my money for this one. Great little thing.

@aaron HTC have always been helpful (certainly with my dealings with them when I had the HOX and HOS).

The Xperia Z is a good phone but the screen has its short comings with regards to viewing angles the colours become washed out and secondly Sony's track record isn't exactly great when it comes to updates. Battery life isn't great either.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll give it a miss although I had the phone on preorder back in Jan but bailed on it when I heard that the screen tech wasn't up to standard certainly not when compared to 2013 flagship phones. Even my Nexus 4 has a better screen!

I know what you mean, comparing the one to my colleagues Xperia Z honestly does just show how good the Ones screen is as as you said the colours are strangely faded on the Z. Mind the Z looks great when the Bravia engine kicks in but in what I regard as a really silly design descision this only kicks in during video playback :(.

Last edited:
Caporegime
@Nexus HTC need to clear up what exactly the zero gap applies to and not advertise the phone in a ambiguous manner. That would certainly clear up the misconceptions that are floating about with regards to this phone.

I have given HTC a couple of chances as I really like their products and basically wanted a change from the Galaxy range of phones. However I'm not prepared to stick with a product that may or may not get worse over time. Maybe when HTC have revised their manufacturing process I might revisit the One again but it will take a fair few testimonials from other users on this and other forums to get me to part with my cash again.

Our friends at Apple haven't fixed the chipping issue and have basically said to customers to deal with it! Not a good attitude to take but that's Apple for you I guess.

When it comes to customer support HTC have always been great and pretty much admitted to their mistakes and done their best to rectify things. Let's hope they do the same with the One and clear up any QC and misconceptions about the design itself but until then I'm jumping off this HTC One ship.

Yup, it is kind of false advertising really.

Unfortunately the term "zero gap" is doing more damage than good now due to people interpreting it wrongly and thinking that there should be no gaps at all anywhere (which is impossible to achieve!), I think if HTC didn't mention about that zero gap thing, people wouldn't be complaining about the gap at the top.

I can see where you are coming from and would think the same in some ways, unfortunately (IMO), there is no other current gen phone that can compete with the one i.e. the speakers, design/perceived quality, sense and the camera overall (which will get even better with software updates). Only phones left for this year that could surpass it by a decent margin imo, are the X and nexus 5 (not getting my hopes up regarding the camera area given motorola and google's track record in this department though!)

Happy with my one S for the time being anyway and once it gets sense V5, it should keep me more than happy for a bit longer!

KLP could completely change my mind though..........

When it comes to customer support HTC have always been great and pretty much admitted to their mistakes and done their best to rectify things

Yup, people can't fault them for that last part, they are pretty damn quick to admit to their mistakes/problems (which is very rare these days amongst every single company) and to get a problem fixed/improved rather quickly, apple are awful regarding that (admitting their mistakes that is, their customer service is faultless in store), Samsung aren't much better i.e. sudden death issue, took far too long to admit/acknowledge that there was a problem (despite there being a huge thread on XDA etc.) and despite saying that they would fix it/replace the handset with no trouble etc. their repair centres tried blaming the issue on the user and water damage and look at the situation with e36Adz and his note II, went over 1 month without his note II, iirc mrk had a similar situation with his GS 3.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Wasn't that bad?!?! :eek: :p

People's black iphone 5's were coming out of the box chipped badly! :p AFAIK no one even had that issue with the one S out of the box. And people were saying that they were getting chipped by just being in their pocket with nothing, same as the one S users. IIRC there is even a thread in the apple sub forum for that issue alone.

Heck iirc there is even a huge thread about it on apple fanboy central site :p

edit - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1445493

It is a fault with the manufacturing process, due to the shape i.e. sharp corners (which is why it was/is common on the iphone 5 and with the S, it was mainly on the USB port and top edge) and/or both companies not leaving it for long enough to apply the finish.

Either way, their attitude towards the issue was appalling:

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/09/...pping-on-iphone-5-is-normal-says-apple-chief/

Where as HTC acknowledge it and had it fixed within a few months.

Forgot about all the other problems with the iphone 5 when released, especially the maps situation! That was funny :D Have they fixed/improved that app yet?

Only some units (of one colour) had out of the box damage, which is really stupid but a replacement can just be obtained with ease. I would assume the majority of that is fixed now, they wouldn't leave it. Their reply to the issue was pretty arrogant but it's Apple so what do you expect. In fairness any chipping would occur due to rough usage (forgetting out of box chips where this wouldn't apply), so that's probably what Apple were getting at - all phones are pretty much prone to damage/chips/scratches if mishandled.

As for the maps app, it was a mindless decision really and Google bailed them out with an utterly superb Google Maps app for the iPhone which some believe is even better than the Android one! Apple are improving their one though and on the few occasions I tried it, it worked surprisingly well.

Caporegime
Yup, you can't fault apple when it comes to customer service for getting a replacement/exchange etc.

It was the same with the one S colours too, the grey one had no problems at all since it didn't have the MAO finish, just an anodized finish (iirc same as the silver "one"). IIRC the white iphone 5 didn't have any problems with chipping etc. either? not sure what finish it used....

True, but it shouldn't happen even when the phone isn't being mishandled/abused in the first place, the one S and black iphone 5 both suffered this same fate, even when people were gentle with it i.e. in pocket with nothing else and not being "rough" with it.

The maps situation was hilarious! Some of the best meme's ever came from that situation :D

cO5PNST.jpg

BcHCKCY.png

Mh3907t.jpg

6rOf0LD.gif

Even London underground mocked them!

KGM9Kb3.jpg

And an epic video

No idea what the google maps app is like on the iphone :p But I think I have read a few other people saying the same, will have to watch a video comparison.

Caporegime
No, it uses a black anodized finish supposedly.....

Supposedly the black one is pretty resistant to scratches/chipping:

No idea what is happening with the black model, from what I can gather, HTC don't seem to be too concerned about it though and seem to be focusing on the silver model more.

There is nothing wrong with the MAO finish really, if it is done properly then you have a very tough/durable finish, which not only looks nice but feels amazing.

e.g.

HTC's problem with it on the black one S was sharp edges and that they didn't leave it for long enough (which they fixed after a few months), same reason(s) for the iphone 5. IIRC there were no problems with delays either.

So I imagine the main reasons they didn't go with it again this time was due to money and time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom