***The Official HTC One Thread***

Soldato
The main reason I gave the first handset back was because there was dust between the glass and the screen. I had gaps in all the corners to the point where the edges of a piece of paper could fit in them. (green circles in the pics). This was the case with both handsets.

I had 3 other issues with the 2nd handset. Firstly the glass wasn't flush with speaker grill in the top left. You could feel it stick out. The 1st handset didn't have this issue. Best image I could get in the 2nd pic green circle.

There's small chip at the bottom speaker grill (3rd pic red circle). Also between the white plastic and screen glass there's small white shavings as if it had been rushed and not finished properly. It feels very rough on the sides of the phone because of this. The 1st handset didn't have this either.

I know these are minor issues but it would annoy me knowing people out there paying the same money have perfect handsets while I have one with defects.

Those defects would annoy me too, it seems as if you've had worse luck than me. My two phones went back because of the screen not being flush at the top, chip along the bottom of the screen where it meets the speaker, quite a large gap at top (2nd handset) and capacitive buttons not working properly.

HTC are great when it comes to admitting faults and repairing them, so I take it that they will pick it up then so the faults can be fixed?

@iMacMart Just out of curiosity if they're saying it is a new batch, can you please check the serial number on the box, you don't have to disclose the whole thing, just the first 6 characters will do.

For example my HO serial number was FA33VW.

Check out the thread below to work it out when your HO was manufactured

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2209277&highlight=htc+one+serial+codes

Last edited:
Soldato
Those defects would annoy me too, it seems as if you've had worse luck than me. My two phones went back because of the screen not being flush at the top, chip along the bottom of the screen where it meets the speaker, quite a large gap at top (2nd handset) and capacitive buttons not working properly.

HTC are great when it comes to admitting faults and repairing them, so I take it that they will pick it up then?

Yeah they picked it up yesterday. I've checked tracking on their site and they've received it. Should be 5 working days now.

What have you done since then btw ? Did you get a 3rd handset or are you waiting for new batches ?

Caporegime
Yeah most of that stuff would annoy me except for the gaps (as I said before I can feel/see several gaps on my S and with every other phone, even more, the zero gap term only applies to the main aluminium body with the plastic injected parts, the speaker covers etc. are not part of the CNC machine process) and the screen not being flush with the rest of the phone (only an issue imo if it is easily noticeable and/or the screen feels loose)

Is the screen not being flush with the rest of the front actually a fault/qc issue? I don't think it is personally, with my one S the screen isn't completely flush, impossible to tell just by looking at it normally, only noticeable when really looking for it and running my finger along it, same goes for the one X and many many other phones. And going by those photos, it seems very very tiny.

Last edited:
Soldato
I get what you mean about the gaps but since HTC have openly admitted that this is an issue I might aswell get it sorted for free. Plus the thought of there being perfect handsets out there would annoy me.

I only noticed the screen not being flush by feeling it. I know its a minor issue but my first handset didn't have this issue at all. Plus the way I hold the phone sideways watching shows and playing games means I would feel it constantly which got quite annoying tbh.

Soldato
Yeah they picked it up yesterday. I've checked tracking on their site and they've received it. Should be 5 working days now.

What have you done since then btw ? Did you get a 3rd handset or are you waiting for new batches ?

That's pretty good. Did HTC say that they were going to repair the faults or give you a new phone? Be interesting to see how they deal with your issue.

I'm waiting for the new batches which will supposedly be around the 23rd April and have ordered a 3rd phone from P4U which should be getting some of the new batch stock.

I'll just keep trying until I can get a decent HO with no faults I guess. There's no other next gen phone I want ATM to be honest.

It really annoyed me with the screen not being flush at the top, my finger would catch the screen when dragging the notification bar down and I got fed up with it. My first HO didn't have this problem either.

Last edited:
Associate
I am unsure if I should be thinking about sending my handset back to try and get another with the newer batches too. I do have some very minor gaps on the top and bottom of the phone, on the screen side and a tiny bit of overhang on the top-right screen side aluminum. The screen is also minutely misaligned with the aluminum at the top: on the right side the aluminium is raised from the gorilla glass, on the left it is the other way around.

However all of these are incredibly minor: I can barely get a bit of paper in to the gaps and when I can it is only the tiniest amount. Am I becoming paranoid thanks to all this talk of problems or should I just send it back anyway?

Caporegime
Entirely up to you.

If it where me and the gaps, over hang etc. are very tiny i.e. to the point that it isn't noticeable unless really looked for then I wouldn't bother.

I suppose there is no harm in getting it exchanged though.....

Last edited:
Soldato
That's pretty good. Did HTC say that they were going to repair the faults or give you a new phone? Be interesting to see how they deal with your issue.

They said on the email it would be a repair although I doubt how they would manage to fix all the issues especially the screen not being flush. Kinda hoping for a replacement tbh.

Also found my serial started with FA33VW btw.

Soldato
They said on the email it would be a repair although I doubt how they would manage to fix all the issues especially the screen not being flush. Kinda hoping for a replacement tbh.

Also found my serial started with FA33VW btw.

Yeah there's a fair few things that need to be fixed, they might as well give you a new phone instead and save themselves the hassle! The screen not being flush especially annoyed me.

Same serial as my second phone, manufactured on 22nd March 2013 which would account for the defects.

Apparently the batches in mid-late April will not have the defects that we have been experiencing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine is FA33YV, noticed a slight overhang top right, literally half a millimetre, if that, everything else is perfect. I think if I sent mine back I'd feel less of a real person and more of I'm turning in to my dad.

Btw, love it, bit tricky getting used to it but its growing on me.

Associate
Actually I do have another issue - when I plug in my earphones I can hear a fairly regular ticking sound
Which I am finding very annoying. There doesn't have to be any sound playing for it to happen. Does anybody else have the same issue / know how to fix it?

Associate
Just a heads up regarding stock. I ordered the Black HTC One on contract from Phones4U on the 11th of April. I was told that the delivery date would be the 24th on 2 occasions, the last being Thursday evening. I got a Royal mail delivery note yesterday, went to pick it up and it was my phone!

So they do have stock but obviously have a bit of disconnect between their departments.

On the phone front, all I can say is wow. What a quality phone. I haven't noticed any manufacturing defects on mine either. Maybe the black colour covers them up better than silver.

Associate
Mine arrived yesterday. I've customized my home screen a little, put all my music / spotify playlists on it and downloaded a few games, but as of yet it feels like I'm just doing all the same stuff I did on my old phone (Desire HD) and not utilizing whatever makes it one of the best phones on the market. Not to say it's not really impressing me regardless, but I feel maybe I'm wasting the potential of it by just browsing the web and playing sudoku!

Any advice on some nifty apps / anything else I should get? And would this TV remote thing work with an old (at least 10 years) Sky+ box, or does the age of the thing not matter at all?

Last edited:
Soldato
What do people think about this?

Free HTC One Black
400 minutes
Unlimited text
750mb data
£28 per month
18 month contract

Total price after 18 months is £504. That's cheaper than buying the phone and paying £10 a month on a 30 day rolling contract!!

Thoughts?

Soldato
What do people think about this?

Free HTC One Black
400 minutes
Unlimited text
750mb data
£28 per month
18 month contract

Total price after 18 months is £504. That's cheaper than buying the phone and paying £10 a month on a 30 day rolling contract!!

Thoughts?

Where's that from? I can only find similar for £36 a month on orange.

Back
Top Bottom