**** The Official Huawei Mate 20/Mate 20 Pro Thread ****

Associate
My mate has just had an update to 9.0.0.153 version which includes Dec security update, so far they are being pretty good with the updates. No mention in the release logs of any updates for the camera.

My one issue is using the front cam or portait, the pictures always look smoothed off even with beauty mode disabled. Please fix this Huawei, it's the only thing stopping this from being better then my Pixel Xl 3.

Soldato
The update test is when the new p30 Pro comes out and we'll see if they forget about their older phones.

On a side note, the only thing I miss going from the Mate 20 Pro to the Pixel 3 is the wide angle camera. For me that is a superb feature.

Associate
I have a Mate 20 X hopefully being delivered today.

Does that count in this thread?

Hi,

Don't see why not as the thread isn't overun with comments

Still pondering on whether to keep my mate 20 Pro or my Pixel XL 3. Both are really good devices to be honest which is creating the problem.

The Pixel upsides are obvious, my only reservation with the Mate 20 pro is whether it will receive updates in the future

Hardware wise the Mate 20 Pro beats it apart from maybe the screen.

I have a BOE screen and there is a slight tint of green on the screen edges. I don't believe this is gluegate or whatever they called it, think it's the curvature of the glass refracting the light. Brightness is better on the Mate 20 Pro.

Quick question for anyone, why is the Mate 20 Pro advertised as a 40mp camera but defaulted to 10mp and loses zoom if I change to the 40mp camera? Is it just marketing trickery?

Last edited:
Associate
It does indeed have a 40mp and a large sensor. The 10mp mode uses supersampling to get a better quality image vs a standard 10mp sensor.

Thanks, any ideas of why the don't enable 40mp by default? Any downsides to using this apart from losing Zoom. With AI on Macro etc still works. Not worried about storage, just want to get the best quality pictures I can.

Associate
H
Just got myself one of the cheap Mate 20 pro's from HUKD's - anyone else bite?
Bought a twilight one for £519, received it yesterday, it's in pretty good condition apart from a 1 inch hairline scratch on the back. I checked for the gluegate issue, but tbh it only shows in a darkroom with brightness turned right down. Also, it seems I was one of the lucky ones to receive a supercharger, a few people have posted on HUKDs that they only received a quick charger. I think I will keep the phone, I am coming from a Mate 8, so I'm used to EMUI and this phone is a massive step up and plus it was a great deal.

Associate
Where do I find this £519 deal? @Altaz?
Earlier in the week eBay were running a site wide 15% off promotion, at the same time a seller had listed Grade A Mate 20 Pros for 699 with an additional 15% off. The listed stated the seller was away, so maybe they forgot to turn off their own promotion. It was a risk, but apart from the scratch the phone seems fine for now. It also has a warranty until November 2020.

Soldato
Yeah I missed the twilight one so got the black one for a bit more
Also received the supercharger and mine was pristine with no scratches etc
Has a case and screen protector now and I couldn't be happier
Genuinely the best phone I've ever had and the camera quality is insane! It's a quality piece of kit.
Other than the usual adblocker and launchers, any other apps people have got that are worthwhile?

Back
Top Bottom