**** The Official Huawei Mate 20/Mate 20 Pro Thread ****

Associate
A few more random thoughts after a week with the Mate 20 pro.

Face unlock is surprisingly brilliant... seldom use the finger print scanner at all.
Enabling dev options and reducing the animation factors to 0.5 is a must.
Camera is good but not really a noticeable improvement over the U11 for general point and shoot usage. The wide angle lens and the 3x optical zoom is very welcome though.
The curved screen and general "long phone" form factor I'm not massively a fan of but theres no denying it does make it easier to hold.
Performance and battery life is excellent - really is a bloody fast phone with amazing battery life.
EMUI isnt perfect but I get on just fine with the gestures and the notification oddities seem to have settled down (though gmail notifications are still hit and miss).

Have just read the change log for the latest chinese update and it allegedly address call issues which if true is music to my ears as thats really my only serious gripe with the phone. Lets hope EE roll it out soon.

After having for a while now - pretty much sums up my experience.

2 gripes for me though - first curved phone ...so sometimes hit the curved bit of screen when picking up etc..... just a bit of getting used to I suppose.
Watching youtube videos..... I hit the stretch to full screen .... why not screens beautiful! but then you miss some details that wrap around the screen....
If I was watching certain apps the screen would dim.... Sky sports ... goal videos.... sooooooo annoying... Have turned off a setting in the developer options that may have fixed it .. will see.

Other than that best phone and battery stamina I have ever had.... dont even charge up overnight anymore - usually give it a quick juice up in the car or leave it.

Soldato
One idea I had for testing both battery and charge speed was see how many days a phone could last with just 30 minutes charge each morning. The Mate 20 Pro is perhaps one of only two phones* that I think could go indefinitely. 30 minutes of charge probably would get it through 24 hours use for me.

* Mi A2 Lite being the other.

Caporegime
I recently joined the p20 pro club and so far after 3 days, I'm happy. I'm not overawed but its a decent phone.

1 major gripe i have and i hope it can be turned off or fixed.

When i finger swipe the background i get a search box fill the screen with the last 4 suggested apps i used?
I get this about 50% of the time i touch the bloody phone.
I guess i have incredibly fat fingers?
It's driving me mental how do i turn this off? I've gone through the settings for about 2h and i must have missed it.

Please help

Soldato
I recently joined the p20 pro club and so far after 3 days, I'm happy. I'm not overawed but its a decent phone.

1 major gripe i have and i hope it can be turned off or fixed.

When i finger swipe the background i get a search box fill the screen with the last 4 suggested apps i used?
I get this about 50% of the time i touch the bloody phone.
I guess i have incredibly fat fingers?
It's driving me mental how do i turn this off? I've gone through the settings for about 2h and i must have missed it.

Please help

https://forums-androidcentral-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/912338-huawei-p20-pro-can-i-remove-homescreens-scroll-down-search-screen.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&amp&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ==#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/912338-huawei-p20-pro-can-i-remove-homescreens-scroll-down-search-screen.html

Looks like you will have to install a different launcher, this 'feature' can't be disabled

Soldato
Just picked up a mate 20 pro as I was due an upgrade. Loving it so far shame I missed out on the wireless charger and watch though although I do qualify for the talkband 5B which I will never use so will sell that on and grab a wireless charger.

Defiently going to get a case as it's a fingerprint magnet also a decent screen protector any recommendations?

Soldato
Just picked up a mate 20 pro as I was due an upgrade. Loving it so far shame I missed out on the wireless charger and watch though although I do qualify for the talkband 5B which I will never use so will sell that on and grab a wireless charger.

Defiently going to get a case as it's a fingerprint magnet also a decent screen protector any recommendations?
I went with the Huawei clear case from Amazon. Does the job!
No screen protector though.

Caporegime
It can be removed via adb no root required. Have a look on the xda forums in the mate 20 pro section.

1) Download ADB
2) Enable USB Debugging on your device
3) Connect to computer and verify your device is listed with command "adb devices"
4) Type "adb Shell"
5) Type "pm list packages", this will show you all packages installed on phone.
6) Type "pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.search"

Thanks, i tried this and for some reason its telling me its not installed for User 0
I tried "other" users mostly numbers phone nick names etc, but nothing works... Very confused.
Says the file is not installed for user 0 but the gesture still sadly works.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Haha I've already thought that.
I'm starting to accustom myself to the screen better and it's becoming less of an issue.
Weird that it didn't work though.
I might factory reset when this gets pie and try again but for now I'll cope.

Caporegime
Ok I didn't think the software would be that different.
No harm I would just reflash.
I'll have a look through and take an educated guess which it will be.
Then ask again for moral support :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Grab yourself the edge gestures app. It allows left, right and bottom edge zones (configurable sizes) where you can add swipe (up/down/sideways) or tap commands.

I use it with a swipe down the right of the screen to bring down the upper bar without having to reach to the top of the phone. Then also swipe up for current apps open, double tap for calculator.

Bottom bar has various taps (1,2 & 3) to shortcut to various apps.

Very configurable, reliable so far and makes the phone much more user friendly. Plus it helps stop that stupid HiSearch thing form activating lots.

Caporegime
I carried this phone for 1 day in myinside jacket pocket and the screen got 5 scratches, 1 pretty deep. Unbelievable of the ten plus phones I've owned over the years, this one is made of marshmallow. Slightly gutted but own fault. Gorilla class? I should stop carrying loose diamonds in my pockets.

Associate
Just got this phone.
Really impressed, such a huge different (not just in size) from my Sony Xperia compact.

Can anyone recommend a clear cover (that doesn't suffer from yellowing)?

Associate
Does anyone know the shortcut for the screenshot where you can use your finger to draw an area to capture? I seem to do it randomly and can't find out how to do it :(

Back
Top Bottom