**** The Official Huawei P20 Thread ****

Soldato
I'm using the P20 lite and it's great, this one also has a headphone jack, may be worth looking at? Depends if you need the power of the higher models, this one is certainly fine for my needs.

I actually prefer EMUI over stock I think, got some cool little features I have never previously had. Even little things like the standard information icons at the top - battery, signal etc, fit really nicely in to the screen.

In general I do like the phone a lot, I really like the size - it's actually not a big phone, much smaller than I anticipated despite the screen size but that is due to how the phone makes so much use of the space with the bezels being so small, plus the "notch" which I love.

My only criticism so far are the charging speeds. It's got usb-c fast charge but... It's uses a weird charging standard, so it either charges at 5v/2a (10w) or 9v/2a (18 w) yet so far I have yet to see it charge at the higher rate (I've only had the phone literally a day and a half) but I need to do more testing.

Also need to find out what charging standards it's compatible with (QC 3.0, USB-C PD etc) for third party chargers, I have both so will test out over the next few weeks and report back. I can confirm though it doesn't charge anywhere near as fast as the Mrs Moto Z2 play which has the same size battery as this, and actually due to the way it switches up the voltage "when it feels like it" for lack of any better technical explanation now, it doesn't seem to charge as fast as my old nexus 5x either.

There doesn't seem to be any solid answers to this on the SDA forums, or internet in general that I could find, so I will do some testing over the next week and report back.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lot of headphone talk and not a lot about the phone :p

How is the EMUI software for those who moved from Samsung? I remember having a Huawei for a week or so a few years back (P8 I think?) and couldn't for the life of me get along with it.

Otherwise phone is ticking all the boxes for me and a cracking deal at the moment on EE, lack of headphone jack is a little annoying but then again that's the way of many flagships now.

I've come from OnePlus Oxygen and getting along nicely. Have put Apex Launcher on and it looks much nicer than stock.

Yeah lack of 3.5mm is annoying and the supplied adaptor is Flimsy.

Soldato
I'm using the P20 lite and it's great, this one also has a headphone jack, may be worth looking at? Depends if you need the power of the higher models, this one is certainly fine for my needs.

I actually prefer EMUI over stock I think, got some cool little features I have never previously had. Even little things like the standard information icons at the top - battery, signal etc, fit really nicely in to the screen.

In general I do like the phone a lot, I really like the size - it's actually not a big phone, much smaller than I anticipated despite the screen size but that is due to how the phone makes so much use of the space with the bezels being so small, plus the "notch" which I love.

My only criticism so far are the charging speeds. It's got usb-c fast charge but... It's uses a weird charging standard, so it either charges at 5v/2a (10w) or 9v/2a (18 w) yet so far I have yet to see it charge at the higher rate (I've only had the phone literally a day and a half) but I need to do more testing.

Also need to find out what charging standards it's compatible with (QC 3.0, USB-C PD etc) for third party chargers, I have both so will test out over the next few weeks and report back. I can confirm though it doesn't charge anywhere near as fast as the Mrs Moto Z2 play which has the same size battery as this, and actually due to the way it switches up the voltage "when it feels like it" for lack of any better technical explanation now, it doesn't seem to charge as fast as my old nexus 5x either.

There doesn't seem to be any solid answers to this on the SDA forums, or internet in general that I could find, so I will do some testing over the next week and report back.

Do you use a screen protector with your P20 lite I've not found a good one yet

Soldato
Blown away by the battery on the Pro.. Easily 2 days use from a charge.

Yeah, this is still amazing me. I'm now routinely doing a two-day charge cycle, but the other night I forgot to plug it in after two days discharging. Got to work, and mid-morning I noticed I'd not charged it. Impressively, it was still at 15% battery. Keeping use to the bare minimum for the rest of the day, it just scraped allowing me to get home with a few percent remaining. Night and day difference from any touchscreen phone I've ever owned before.

Soldato
I miss this phone from my s8 but I had to return it due to not working with Android Auto, real shame but it seems to be a widespread problem with Huawei phones.

Soldato
Received a reply regarding my headphones, maybe they’re trying to source more units .

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to inform you that we are expecting a little delay in the reward processing for this promotion.

This delay is due to the popularity of the promotion.

Unfortunately, we are unable to tell you when it will be sent but we can assure you that our accounts team are working very hard to resolve the delay as a matter of high priority.

You will be updated as soon as your parcel is dispatched.

You will receive an email from us and you should also be contacted by the courier with the tracking information.

We would like to thank you for your continued patience and apologize for this delay.

Soldato
From what's been posted on XDA, it looks like Huawei are making a right mess. They ran out of stock of the headphones. Then when they got more in, they fulfilled recent orders, rather than the earliest orders. Now they're working backward, fulfilling the missing orders from highest number to the lowest. So if you had the first order in after stock ran out, you're getting your headphones last.

Soldato
Seriously considering the pro.

I'm a long-term Samsung user, S2, S5 and finally the S7. I nearly had the P9 over the S7 but it's upgrade time and it's the P20 Pro vs the S9.

I'm a photographer but don't like carrying the DLSR day to day so this camera phone seems like a cracking deal. Anyone really pushed it photo wise and video wise?

Associate
Seriously considering the pro.

I'm a long-term Samsung user, S2, S5 and finally the S7. I nearly had the P9 over the S7 but it's upgrade time and it's the P20 Pro vs the S9.

I'm a photographer but don't like carrying the DLSR day to day so this camera phone seems like a cracking deal. Anyone really pushed it photo wise and video wise?

I'm not an expert with cameras, and this reply may not be helpful whatsoever - But my Mother also got this phone, she's a photographer and she loves the phone along with the camera.

Soldato
I'm not an expert with cameras, and this reply may not be helpful whatsoever - But my Mother also got this phone, she's a photographer and she loves the phone along with the camera.

Thanks. I'd watched a few videos and read some online comparisons with the S9 and the negatives about the P20 such as no image stabilization in 4k video mode was a little off-putting but I've seen several more and it appears it's more a case of getting to know the camera and manual settings.

Back
Top Bottom