• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Caporegime
This is what I don't understand perhaps someone can explain it.

When Scotland was voting for independence it was asked many times on this forum how will they cover the "black hole" in finances?

But doesn't the UK as a whole have a similar black hole in it's finances or is the UK actually making more than it spends?

the uk isn't planning on turning round to the people it borrows money off and going "heh yeah we ain't paying you back...oh btw can we borrow some more?"

Soldato
Why do people think he's going to sell off the NHS?

Cameron? Privatisation in the NHS increased substantially since the Tory led Health and Social Care Act. Rather than fund it properly (i.e. similar % of GDP to other European countries) they decided it would be better to sell services to private health companies. Which many Tory MPs sit on the boards of, I might add... :rolleyes:

Soldato
It's an outstanding result for the SNP, who now have an overwhelming mandate to request another referendum for Scottish freedom. Bring it on!

No they don't, didn't include it in their manifesto, didn't ask for it at any point during the campaign. There would be a riot in Scotland if they demanded it.

Suspended
He never should have been there in the first place anyway 5 years too late.

Agreed, with him and balls gone Labour would have done better but it's too late now.

It was clear neither of them were liked, it's just a shame it took 5 years and a general election to get that message across. :(

Caporegime
Nicola Sturgeon has been on BBC News saying the opposite.

I'm sure she'll come round over the next 24 months. :)

They can if England decides it wants out of Europe.

^^ This. Which could be why Cameron has been dragging his feet over the EU referendum. Nobody wants to be the PM who presided over the destruction of the Union.

Caporegime
:D You can't beat the smell of bacon cooking hmmmmmmmmmm

gas man is round servicing the boiler...guess its only polite to offer him one too >.<

cant cook bacon literally 5 feet from someone and not offer them some, i think that's pretty much illegal.

Soldato
It's a disaster 56 useless back benchers, and shame on Labour in England for a poor showing.

Disaster? Maybe from Labour perspective but the SNP will be chairing several UK wide committees now, they'll have an opportunity to show the Scottish electorate they can behave and work well with all parties at Westminster. If they screw this up you can expect them to be annihilated in 2020.

SNP have been given an opportunity, they better not think for a moment they can abuse it and they have no mandate for a referendum.

They've worked with the Tories in Holyrood, people seem to forget that.

Soldato
This is what I don't understand perhaps someone can explain it.

When Scotland was voting for independence it was asked many times on this forum how will they cover the "black hole" in finances?

But doesn't the UK as a whole have a similar black hole in it's finances or is the UK actually making more than it spends?

It's all about borrowing as a percentage of GDP, how that money is invested and the size of the resulting deficit.

The concern with an independent Scotland was that it might have to borrow every year (even in the good times) to keep public services at current levels. Their ability to then borrow for investment would be diminished. What could happen is that over say, 20 years, they run up a large debt with little investment and little GDP growth.

Soldato
They can if England decides it wants out of Europe.

What makes you think that? We are a Unitary state, there is no England or Scotland when it comes to such decisions. Plus, given the oil prices and the way the EU is going right now, leaving the UK to join it would be comically stupid.

Even so, it seems the polls are saying we'd likely stay in the EU if there was a referendum.

Soldato
Ironically the Scottish vote actually significantly helped the Conservatives - exactly what the SNP didn't want!

I don't think that bothers them. They now have enough seats in parliament to kick up a fuss. And if the Tories aren't promoting any policies that will benefit the Scottish people, the SNP will just call for another referendum. Something that probably couldn't happen if Labour/SNP were in power.

Back
Top Bottom