• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Why do you think the SNP didn't want a Tory government? Suits their narrative perfectly I would say. Also the Tories and the SNP are backed by the same man - Rupert Murdoch.

So Murdoch pays to help further favourable business environment. Not really hard with choice of labour or wasting money on a someone that will not win.

Soldato
It was a desperate, pathetic last minute bribe to try and stop the referendum voting Yes.

If we're a union, we should not be devolving more powers to Scotland, or NI or Wales.

It's all a bit of a mess, which is what happens when the lefties get their own way. Costly window dressing, more bureaucracy can't really help the masses but if your leftie you can simply live in denial and spend, spend, spend.

Caporegime
I'm curious what the confounding factors were. Combination of shy Tory voters, last minute undecided voters going Tory, and UKIP-leaning Tories staying Tory compared to Labour-leaning, perhaps.

not wanting to risk the thuggish left i think is the main skewing factor in the polls.

Soldato
I think it is more about keeping SNP out of government.

If that's the case we could have a tory government for a very long time as it's going to take a lot for Labour to recover north of the border. Bare in mind they saw a 35% swing to SNP in some constituencies :eek:

They'd actually need the SNP to screw up completely in order to win back many seats in 2020, so I doubt many tories will want the SNP to misbehave at westminster.

Soldato
Cameron won't be able to renegotiate anything worthwhile and will resign over it, but you won't get an in/out referendum.
I would say he has a better chance than Ed did if he managed to sneak in with a minority. He wouldn't have been able to do anything, so would have been pointless winning. The Tories on the other hand have every chance to get stuff done so long as the whips do their job.

Soldato
It really didn't. Even if Labour won every seat in Scotland, the Conservatives would still be heading for a majority.

Scottish vote rarely counts in elections, despite all the horrendously anti-Scottish rhetoric rolled out by both Labour and the Tories during the campaign. Scots typically don't get the Westminster government they vote for, we're use to it.

Caporegime
Excellent summary in the Telegraph reasoning why Labour lost, in a nutshell, the wrong Leader,elected by the Unions not the grass roots, a man who was unwilling to accept Labours past economic screw ups and instead chose to defend them, a man urged when elected to put a professions team around him, instead he chose ideological soul mates, he had to choose between the centre ground - where Blair succeeded - instead he went for the comfort zone of the left....

Ultimately, a man who made all the wrong choices and thank God he only made those wrong choices for the Labour Party and not for the country as our Prime Minister.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/gen...e-this-election-It-never-tried-to-win-it.html

Man of Honour
If that's the case we could have a tory government for a very long time as it's going to take a lot for Labour to recover north of the border. Bare in mind they saw a 35% swing to SNP in some constituencies :eek:

Or Scottish mps are barred from voting on English only legislation in return for more devolved powers.

Back
Top Bottom