• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
If you're better off and would rather your money or time went towards things you prioritise over your happiness/wealth, you're more than welcome to support charities and other projects financially, or with your time and/or skills. Big society, yo ;).
I already donate time & money to a number of charities, but there are limits to what charity can achieve for problems which require legislative changes or are systemic.

Besides, charity should not be used as a cover for other structural problems or to enable parts of society to abandon responsibility to the people who enable them garner wealth.

Soldato
TTIP is outside of Westminster's control. It's the EU negotiating after all.
How much challenge do you expect Cameron to put up on the matter?, considering he actively wants it.

Agreed, this is what needs to happen.
It's a poor of at least 15 million voters who due to the income & age bands who would on average be voting for centre left/centre/nationalist political entities.

Whoever the next leader of the opposition is, there has to be real strength - the Conservatives will have to perform better & try harder if they have a strong opposition leader to contend with. The last thing anybody wants is complacent leader.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't suggest the withdrawal of financial support, I just don't think that giving more money to those not working going to improve anything. We need to make it more beneficial to work. Labour seem to suggest that giving more money to those on benefits will help, I don't believe that for a second. They claim that people are on so little money that it effects the upbringing of their children.

We need to incentivise work and make it far more preferable than being on benefits. Overall I think its a hard problem to solve. We are moving towards a future where more and more manual jobs and being automated. Companies make cutbacks to staff when instead of making 6 billion profit they only make 3.

Bottom line is that giving those that don't work another £500 a month wouldn't suddenly lead to any change in their attitudes or behaviour.

Indeed working should be made to be financially beneficial. It remains to be seen whether the Tories make their £12billion of benefit cuts by attacking benefits for those in work - such as working tax credits or child tax credits.

It's difficult to see where else it will come from, given legal commitments to cutting child poverty and their vaunted "triple lock" on pensions.

How does that fit in with the idea of making work pay?

Caporegime
Yeah, I'm aware of the headlines, but the Devil's in the detail and I'm wondering if it's actually something to worry about, or if it's just being spun by spastics who don't understand.

You clearly haven't read anything about it then, or the numerous cases where ISDS has already been used.

First result from Google:

http://www.globaljustice.org.uk/blo...d-be-nightmare-look-what-just-happened-canada

Many countries have now been sued (successfully) for daring to pass legislation which puts national interest ahead of multinational profits. It's reality, not scare-mongering.

Soldato
Good luck paying for your own uni fees in 2015 when it costs 9k per term and set to rise in the near future.

Believable story back when tuition was 3k per term, but not any more! Try saving 27k (minimum) on a low income whilst renting. Just not possible today.

well considering the weight of most degrees today it doesn't matter anyway.

Soldato
And TTIP?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transatlantic_Trade_and_Investment_Partnership#Controversy

"In December 2013, Martti Koskenniemi, Professor of International Law at the University of Helsinki, warned that the planned foreign investor protection scheme within the treaty, similar to World Bank Group's International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), would endanger the sovereignty of the signatory states by allowing for a small circle of legal experts sitting in a foreign court of arbitration an unprecedented power to interpret and void the signatory states' legislation."

The other aspect is, do you want to have US style laws regarding food standards, environmental hazards or the concept of 'assumed safe' - if you take into account how often previously considered safe compounds & chemicals produced in the US turn out to be highly carcinogenic.

Soldato
just don't mention how much better the Scottish NHS is either :)

or the free prescriptions

To be fair it was costing just as much to administer the prescriptions service charging as it did to make it free in Scotland.

Not sure I'd say the Scottish NHS is better either (and I work in it) but I'd say it was far more stable and secure than NHS England is sadly.

If charges come in for GP visits in England and Wales I'd expect Scotland to have to do it - as the budgets are linked.

Soldato
I voted for the incumbent, because he is a hardworking MP who works for all sections of the constituency. There was little other choice.

I am pleased though that his party won the national vote by a majority and that there is a good chance that they will improve the country.

I personally would not mind paying a penny or two in additional tax if it was targeted properly towards worthwhile activity like the NHS. However I still believe that there is waste and inefficiency in the system which needs to be eradicated before significant additional investment is made.

Soldato
I don't understand how the Conservatives only got 330 seats. Who in their right mind would vote Labour? :p

I'm Scottish, don't look at me :p

Well maybe if they actually get some new people in with decent ideas for a change. Haven't voted labour in a very long time, I usually waste my vote on the lib dems.

Back
Top Bottom