• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Mock as much as you like, but anyone today can still achieve it - the genuinely poor can still get help towards education, whereas the latest iphone owning, designer clothes wearing "poor", don't deserve it.

No they can't.

As pointed out above who is going to do the millions of low paid jobs?

There will always be a lower class no matter how hard everyone works.

Caporegime
Good luck paying for your own uni fees in 2015 when it costs 9k per term and set to rise in the near future.

Believable story back when tuition was 3k per term, but not any more! Try saving 27k (minimum) on a low income whilst renting. Just not possible today.

It's called a student loan... You pay it back in a capped tax over years of work, or you don't pay it back if you don't make the threshold.

While a large tuition fee isn't brilliant the fact is you don't "pay" it in the normal sense of the word. It's that, or they increase tax for everyone, to pay for some to go to uni.

Soldato
I don't think people blame labour for the global economic meltdown but as one of the largest players in world banking it was on their watch that it happened and it wasn't like some of it wasn't preventable.

The banks were behaving like a bunch of cowboys in every aspect of their business and as the party in charge of the country they should have done more to prevent it.

Labour didn't cause the economic crash, they just looked on as the banking sector ploughed money into the economy for labour to spend whilst ignoring the dangerous practices that delivered them.

We are part of a huge global economy but don't downplay our say in matters.

And the Tories were the ones who, pre-crash, were calling for less banking regulation, you think they had the country's best interest in mind when crowing for that?

Man of Honour
This attitude is precisely why the Country is knackered. The attitude that we should be helped. How about helping yourself? Honestly, this entitled, grasping mentality needs consigning to the bin.

Put it this way - I've worked as hard as my dad did upto my age (who didn't have it easy as such), I've taken advantage of the opportunities as much as he did, etc. I don't have half the house buying power he did at my age, I don't have half the pension potential to show for it, etc. etc. none of which is down to my doing and if the Tories have their way that is only going to get worse.

Last edited:
Soldato
The future with the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (public service privatisation & the removal of power from the UK to US business), the provision of care for the sick & disabled, the reintroduction of bloodsports (a socially regressive move) are all signs of us taking steps backwards.

As somebody mentioned earlier, most people fear the SNP or the EU having control over our laws, but seem utterly indifferent to us being over-ruled & directly by the whims & desires of a series of transnational corporations.

It's a shame a number of the population, the most vulnerable will pay the price for the wants & desires of the public.

I'll be better off economically under this government, which seems somewhat unfair - as in my income bracket wages have already risen consistently through the recession - I've felt no burden or hardship.

Why should I be getting more breaks?.

Associate
Mate, you prove my point exactly, you people are so scared of entitlement that you'd rather cut your nose off to spite your face not not help anyone, it's typical Tory tunnel vision, if your in poor situation it's your own fault, no other environmental factors exist do they?, Tories campaign slogan of been "Vote for us and help yourself but not others".

What a load of rubbish, absolute nonsense. This is the type of trash which gives people an unrealistic view of any party whether its tory, labour, lib dems etc

You sound like the one with tunnel vision :rolleyes:

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Good luck paying for your own uni fees in 2015 when it costs 9k per term and set to rise in the near future.

Believable story back when tuition was 3k per term, but not any more! Try saving 27k (minimum) on a low income whilst renting. Just not possible today.

But you don't have to save anything as you pay nothing up front.

Soldato
The future with the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (public service privatisation & the removal of power from the UK to US business), the provision of care for the sick & disabled, the reintroduction of bloodsports (a socially regressive move) are all signs of us taking steps backwards.

As somebody mentioned earlier, most people fear the SNP or the EU having control over our laws, but seem utterly indifferent to us being over-ruled & directly by the whims & desires of a series of transnational corporations.

It's a shame a number of the population, the most vulnerable will pay the price for the wants & desires of the public.

I'll be better off economically under this government, which seems somewhat unfair - as in my income bracket wages have already risen consistently through the recession - I've felt no burden or hardship.

That pretty much echos my situation and I feel a little embarrassed when you put it like that if I'm honest.

C64

C64

Soldato
You can work it out from the bbc results page - its something like 20 million off the top of my head.

(EDIT: Its almost 30 million actually).

it's probably 25 million OAPS landlords and rich people

they need to make it illegal not to vote

Soldato

You do realise there is a pretty good student loan system in place, whereby you don't pay anything in advance, and get your further education, and only have to pay back when you're earning above a threshold, paying back a relatively small amount per month. A loan wherein the repayments change if your circumstances change both upwards and downwards, unlike other loans where the repayments are fixed. And also a one where it get's "written off" after x amount of time. Pretty good trade off to allow you do optional further education, which is ultimately done to better your working position I would say.

Soldato
You can work it out from the bbc results page - its something like 20 million off the top of my head.

That probably means its not just 34% of people in the country didn't vote. There are probably a few more million who have lost all care of who runs the country and are not even on the electoral list?

Last edited:
Soldato

Because you're a wealth creator, a go-getter, your what keeps the country afloat, anyone not like you is scrounging scum that doesn't deserve any help or a leg up because it's all their own fault.

Caporegime

I can't believe I'm going to actually defend tuition fees but this is completely inaccurate. No-one has to pay tuition fees up front, they are paid back after graduation on fairly generous terms.

Most students will still be paying off their loans when their own children go to university, of course, but apparently we're not supposed to be bothered about that.

Soldato
Oh I completely agree but that doesn't change the fact that it happens and that it is the reality of the situation. No child should suffer the consequences of their parents actions is a nice idea but you cannot raise a child well without good parents.

My mum worked at a school where many of the parents greatest interest in their education came when they went down the school or phoned them to swear at the staff for disciplining their child.

I don't think the children want to have a **** childhood but the values and ideas that their parents instil in them are horrendously detrimental to their future.

So what good do you think withdrawing financial support will do?

I would suggest it would aggravate the factors I outlined - which would make the outcome worse. How would such cuts improve the picture?

Back
Top Bottom