• Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters

C64

C64

Soldato
Because you're a wealth creator, a go-getter, your what keeps the country afloat, anyone not like you is scrounging scum that doesn't deserve any help or a leg up because it's all their own fault.

people working for low wages keeps the country afloat not go getters

Caporegime
To the four of five people who said, "Duh, stundent loans!": (edit: about 20 now!!!)

The guy I quoted/responded to was talking about how he came from a council estate and paid his own way through uni. The suggestion being that you don't need state help even if you and your family are poor.

I would say you do need state help, or you aren't going to uni these days.

Caporegime
What's the issue with TTIP? I mean, outside of scaremongering. What are the issues for concern from an objective standpoint?

That's the one where private corps can take govts to special closed courts if their govt policies hurt their profits.

It's already happening in Oz - tobacco companies suing the govt over anti-smoking legislations.

That's in your TTIP. Amongst other genuinely bonkers things. Corporations have almost ultimate power in the US, and are now able to use that to make inroads into US trade partners. Think about it, and you're bound to conclude it's frightening.

What a load of rubbish, absolute nonsense. This is the type of trash which gives people an unrealistic view of any party whether its tory, labour, lib dems etc

You sound like the one with tunnel vision :rolleyes:

If you say so, but since when has the Tories ever supported the underprivileged? they want to completely dismantle the welfare system, universal credit is going to hit a lot of poor working people hard, and they are going to push for no benefits for under twenty fives, do they honestly expect everyone just to stay at home? If you believe the Tory party aren't out for anyone but upper middle class and above then your deluded.

Last edited:
Soldato
That probably means its not just 34% of people in the country didn't vote. There are probably a few more million who have lost all care of who runs the country and are not even on the electoral list?
15.7m didn't vote.

Most of those on average are younger or poorer

UK data
BV0is7F.png

US Data
0S4dYf9.png

http://www.ippr.org/assets/media/im...ided-democracy_Nov2013_11420.pdf?noredirect=1

It shows quite clearly in the above study that political disengagement of the poor results in governments who cause further cuts targeted at the politically inactive. This of course makes logical sense but further exasperates the problem.

If the opposition really want to win against the incumbent entities engaging the politically absent would achieve it easily.

Soldato
I didn't come from a wealthy family or anything like that. My parents divorced when I was a kid and I was forced to live with a man I despised and who in some cases was violent towards me. I used that to make myself a better person and I worked hard at school, college and work to ensure that when I have my own family, I can provide everything I can.

People need to stop blaming the Government for all their problems. Only you can change the way you live by working to better yourself be that by getting a better job, going back in to education and growing yours skills that way.

Whilst I can't really criticise the general point you're trying to make - it isn't as simple as 'if I can do it anyone can'.

Should we all be billionaires? Because if someone can do it we all could? And the only reason we're not, is because we're just too lazy to try?

Opportunity arises in many guises, some people will make the right decisions and reap the rewards, others may spend years working equally as hard, but for whatever reason their life decisions turn out to be less well rewarded.

Likewise, you may have put in a lot of hard work to get where you are now and fair play to you. But you did this in a country where we're all (mostly all) given the opportunity to get a decent education. But when you start to offer more opportunities to those who 'have' and those who 'haven't', then it becomes more and more difficult for people to 'just work hard' and make something more of their life.

I don't at all buy into this 'I voted Conservative, because I believe in rewarding hard work'. At lot of people in here seem to be of the opinion that by voting conservative, they are a better class of person, because a vote for the conservatives is a vote against the lazy scrounging chav scum.

And for reference, I'd actually say that I've done pretty well over the last few years too, mostly through hard work. So you can put me in the 'I'm alright jack' camp too, but that doesn't mean I can't see the bigger picture - where the gap in opportunities for those who have and those who haven't, will undoubtedly get bigger and harder and harder to bridge. But maybe I should just think of myself and count myself to be lucky to be on the right side of that gap just now?!

fez

fez

Caporegime
So what good do you think withdrawing financial support will do?

I would suggest it would aggravate the factors I outlined - which would make the outcome worse. How would such cuts improve the picture?

I don't suggest the withdrawal of financial support, I just don't think that giving more money to those not working going to improve anything. We need to make it more beneficial to work. Labour seem to suggest that giving more money to those on benefits will help, I don't believe that for a second. They claim that people are on so little money that it effects the upbringing of their children.

We need to incentivise work and make it far more preferable than being on benefits. Overall I think its a hard problem to solve. We are moving towards a future where more and more manual jobs and being automated. Companies make cutbacks to staff when instead of making 6 billion profit they only make 3.

Bottom line is that giving those that don't work another £500 a month wouldn't suddenly lead to any change in their attitudes or behaviour.

Back
Top Bottom