• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
A haven for the rich is what they've made it. If you're earning under 150 grand your destined to be royally screwed by the tories.

That's more than a bit strong.

Can we close this thread now, all you right-wingers have said enough rubbish to last a lifetime.

People are entitled to their opinions (however strong) on each side, if you don't like it, don't read it.

Soldato
Can we close this thread now, all you right-wingers have said enough rubbish to last a lifetime.

Can the mods start removing useless posts like yours then... Everyone has a different opinion, some are more passionate about their opinion. Which everyone has a RIGHT to have, it's pretty bloody obvious there are going to be conflicts of opinion especially when it comes to matters which affect the whole country...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ahh, I see what you mean.

Is there explanation yet for getting it so wrong?

Always interested in these things...

No explanation yet but there will be an official inquiry into the polling.

All the pollster sites are extremely quiet this morning with egg on their face.:D

Soldato
I earn well below the national average and still voted Conservative, and so did quite a few in my area. Mainly low earners.

The 5% Help To Buy scheme and positive tax changes have helped people setup a life for themselves for once.

Last edited:
Suspended
Wow we're going back to fundamentals here. :)

If life were fair and everyone had exactly the same prospects then it might be fair to tax everyone the same. In actual fact we have very low social mobility in the UK.

I don't accept this and I have already explained why.

The result of this is "the rich get richer and the poor get children", which leads us to require wealth redistribution to keep a lid on inequality for three reasons. First the obvious moral reason, that we should treat other humans with dignity and ensure a good quality of life for everyone. Second, it is better for the entire economy if inequality is kept small, because then markets have more purchasing power. Economies grow faster when inequality is small. Third, social problems are correlated with unequal societies.

If you can't afford to raise children properly then don't have them in the first place. I don't see that inequality is an issue, I am fine that I am paid more than 98% of the population but less than the top 2%. Social mobility is too often used as a crutch to explain a lack of drive and ambition.

A progressive income tax system is a simple way of redistributing wealth, but in this era of high inequality it needs more bite, IMO.

A progressive tax system unfairly penalises those who have been successful. I have no interest in my wealth being redistributed thank you very much.

Soldato
I earn well below the national average and still voted Conservative, and so did quite a few in my area. Mainly low earners.

The 5% Help To Buy scheme and positive tax changes have helped people setup a life for themselves for once.

You shouldn't need to use the 5% help to buy scheme though.

Soldato
Redistribution of wealth needs to happen by those not working getting to work. Or those working and wanting more working better/harder/changing jobs.

Redistribution of wealth where schemes are put in place to rob the hard working middle classes to support the poor are never going to be popular nor are they going to work. You get to the working middle class where your income is comfortable by not wallowing in self pity and jealousy.

C64

C64

Soldato
I think they won for the following reasons

Euro sceptic (ish) only viable party as people don't trust or have faith in ukip and you don't have to feel like a racist voting tory
inheritance tax cut
help to buy scheme
pension freedom (people licking their lips at cashing in that pension then demanding the state looks after them after they blow all the money)

All four of these play right in to old peoples desires, bet they are licking their dentures at the thought of all this new council stock that's going to end up in their buy to let portfolios

Back
Top Bottom