• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Caporegime
That was an interesting snippet on ITV News just now, although Nigel Farage didn't win his seat in South Thanet, UKIP have in fact just won control of Thanet District Council - the first UKIP controlled council.

Caporegime
probably made 0 difference to your area anyone.

unless the guy lost by one vote.

I think FTP puts a lot of people off voting knowing there vote won't count unless it's for one of 2 candidates.

Well if there are a lot of them they should bloody well vote then shouldn't they, because then it would make a difference!

Soldato
But you are voting for a party. The candidate is largely irrelevant. They will still have to follow the party line.

Indeed and for local issues they have a surprisingly little influence, that's comes from the council and there are times when the council does things that the local MP cannot then pull rank.

That was an interesting snippet on ITV News just now, although Nigel Farage didn't win his seat in South Thanet, UKIP have in fact just won control of Thanet District Council - the first UKIP controlled council.

Which now effectively means that South Thanet is under UKIP control

Caporegime
"I have so much money that I keep frittering it away on a lavish luxurious lifestyle but god damn it I hate the conservatives and their austerity. I mean I certainly won't be redistributing my vast wealth to those much less fortunate than myself, but the government should make sure everyone else does, to the detriment of our economy so I can feel better about myself"

Soldato
The simple way I see as to why the vote turned out the way it did is simply that we do as a country seem to be in better shape than we were 5 years ago. Now how much that actually has to do with the ConDem's is debatable, the economy was showing signs of improvement as they came into power so a lot of it in the most part has just happened anyway.

The simple reason I voted Conservative is simply based upon this reality, so what would be the purpose of changing the government back to Labour and risk what is happening to the economy, which is the subject I feel the most strongly about?

Plus I have never really trusted Labour since Tony Blair went to war and Milliband comes across as a total tool.

Caporegime
Man of Honour
to be fair though its not like she has a particularly long term carer shes got around a decade to make enough to live out the rest of her life or else fall into the Vegas lounge circuit.

Or she could just get another job.
Just like when people say a footballer needs to make as much money as he can as it's a short career and he has to retire at around 35.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Looks like the EU are crapping themselves after the result, basically offering the UK whatever we want to ensure we stay a part of it.

I hope the in out referendum result is that we leave, I want to watch the chaos unfold.

Soldato
But you are voting for a party. The candidate is largely irrelevant. They will still have to follow the party line.
Not that I agree with you that often but this is a key point.

You can't just vote for your local candidate & ignore the wider policies of the party they are a member of. For me, national issues are more pressing than local - so vote according to national changes the party will likely enact (or the person I'm voting against won't in most cases).

Back
Top Bottom