• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Caporegime
You don't need a qualification to be good at a job.

Right, and exams aren't a great way of showing who the intelligent kids are either. But nobody has come up with a workable alternative, so until someone's at a point where they have experience and references, the ability to gain a qualification at least gives an indication of the quality of the candidate.

Man of Honour
How is that a criticism of STV? Besides, it's already used in a bunch of countries for various purposes.

I'm not arguing that the party with the biggest proportion of the vote shouldn't be able to form a government... usually. I'm arguing that FPTP leaves most voters represented by someone they didn't vote for.

You must be a proper nuisance when going out for a meal with mates.

5 of you, 2 vote for pizza, 1 for curry, one for indian and 1 for a chinese.

You then spend the rest of the night crying about how 60% of you VOTED AGAINST PIZZA and how it's just not democracy.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28019213 said:

You then spend the rest of the night crying about how 60% of you VOTED AGAINST PIZZA and how it's just not democracy.

Well, i'd like to point out that how you decide where to go for a meal isn't a great basis for how you decide who should run a country. But also, yeah, that's a terrible method of choosing somewhere to eat because quite often most people will end up unhappy. Much better to ask who's okay with each option and allow people to vote more than once :p

Soldato
^ That is quite funny actually Fox that you chose going for a meal as your example. In reality a group of friends would make allowances to maximise satisfaction. E.g. a few people want pizza but are OK with curry, and nobody else agrees but are all so-so with a curry, you'd go for a curry, because it's the best result when considering weighted preferences.

Soldato
But what's actually wrong with 'unqualified teachers'? If they're so bad, how come private schools like them? Why not trust senior management teams to hire the best teachers? Sometimes that'll be people with a shiny certificate saying they can teach, sometimes that'll be people who don't.

Would you want an unqualified surgeon operating on you? Would you want someone without a pilot's license flying you? Qualifications maintain basic minimum standards.

If someone is a great teacher, they should fly through teacher training.

In terms of introduction of a 'Victorian era curriculum', why criticise that now? Aren't outcomes pretty important when judging something like that? Was what we had before better?

Outcomes are important and that's why modern teaching has moved away from Gove's ideas. They do not work.

What we had before was drawn up by people with experience in the education sector. It was based on evidence and research. Gove swept all of that away because apparently he knew better.

Again - if he and his changes were so bad, why weren't Labour going to roll them back? If it was the case, that would have been sensible in of itself and a massive help politically :confused:.

Labour would have changed the curriculum and the coalition backtracked on ditching GCSEs. It wouldn't be practical to demolish free schools though.

If Gove did such a great job, why was he effectively sacked?

Caporegime
Would you want an unqualified surgeon operating on you? Would you want someone without a pilot's license flying you? Qualifications maintain basic minimum standards.

who would you think would make a better maths teacher someone with a masters degree in maths, or someone with a teaching degree?

Caporegime
Any deliberate vandalism of a war memorial should carry a mandatory five year jail sentence.

Think that over. I don't think you really would want that. It's just not proportional to the crime.

Emotion should never be part of sentencing. Defacing a war memorial should be treated no differently to defacing any other building.

Caporegime
Think that over. I don't think you really would want that. It's just not proportional to the crime.

Emotion should never be part of sentencing. Defacing a war memorial should be treated no differently to defacing any other building.

but defacing a church or a mosque should be treated much more harshly than any other building?

Caporegime
but defacing a church or a mosque should be treated much more harshly than any other building?

They signifies a hate crime, which its own sentences.

A war memorial is symbolic piece of stone no less, it hasn't been knocked down and can be cleaned/repaired. Why they chose a memorial though, i dunno, not exactly respectful, but the news would pick that up much quicker than anywhere else, so the logic is there i guess.

The BBC has amazingly ignored most of this, not a smart thing and the nationalists are already grumbling.

Soldato
How many do you need? You claimed they didn't exist.

No, i asked you to show me them. Point being that they're uncommon. Yes, they exist, but does their existence justify the rest of the seats where the majority of voters actually voted against the incumbent, or the fact that even with a 60% majority, 40% of the voters are completely without representation in the commons, or the fact that you can change the outcome of an election completely just by changing where the constituency borders are drawn? STV can solve all of this, and i really don't see how you can be idealistically opposed to that no matter where you are on the political spectrum.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;28019213 said:

The person voting for curry, did he not want Indian...

On a serious note I think that your example does highlight the problem with FPTP. But the real issue is that people have underlying different preference so unless you can get them all to agree then you can't have a fair democratic system, which is mathematically proven. The late ative is you actually just don't bother giving the public a vote anyway since it is inevitable a horrible mix of selfish interest (don't want to pay tax/want loads of benefits), psychological bias (parents vote for this so will,X is evil capatalists/communist), media manuipulation, misunderstanding, decision making without facts/experience/knowledge/relevant education, and just plain ignorance/stupidity/racism etc. So I don't really care what democratic system is in place but it fails on the the fact that it requires humans to vote, however FPTP has some advantage in mitigating the extreme wackos from getting anywhere but suffers from the need of parties to appease the mob rather.

Man of Honour

Doesn't mean they are a good teacher though sadly - I had an electronics lecturer who was an absolute genius at electronics, highly qualified and an absolute disaster at teaching :S

Caporegime
The BBC has amazingly ignored most of this

A police investigation is also under way after graffiti referring to "Tory scum" was daubed on a war memorial.

The graffiti was sprayed on the Women's War Memorial, in London's Whitehall, which is yards from where a concert to commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day took place on Saturday.

A Downing Street spokesman condemned the graffiti as "a despicable display of disrespect for those who fought and died for their country".

BBC.

Back
Top Bottom