• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Didn't the South Thanet count start really, really late as well? I too think that nothing will come of this, or maybe it's a few hundred postal ballots that are dodgy i.e. not enough to have made a difference.

There is quite a stink in Stoke on Trent South at the moment along these lines, where similar dodgy practices have been allegedly going on, the Tory candidate (who narrowly lost) is bleating about it.....

Personally I see nothing other than sour grapes from the losing Tory because Labour narrowly beat him.

As for UKIP and their council / MP there is nothing unusual about an area electing a council from one party and an MP from another, it happens frequently.

Weird stuff around here too.. Apparently a ballot box went missing and after a while "magically" reappeared...

My Sister in Law was one of the "counters" for our Zone...

Here's a C&P

8 May at 03:37 · Peterborough ·

Still at the election count despite the fact I finished 1 hour ago. A ballot box was lost and has just arrived and we aren't allowed to go until the whole area has been declared. So so tired and fed up now. Really not happy with the result

Finally home. Was so so cold in there, not allowed a hot drink and we were there from 8.30

[Edit] She's Rank Labour that's why she wasn't happy !!

Soldato
Cameron today said this:

“For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone',”​

Er....

The problem is most people will understand this in the context of "fighting radicalisation" as "cracking down on the bad guys".

But this is literally Orwell's thoughtcrime (crimethink). We're actually living in 1984.

The powers are SO overreaching!

Under the proposals, ministers would be able to silence any group or individual they believe is undermining democracy or the British values of tolerance and mutual respect.

What kind of definition is that????

Also I wonder if scorza will have to put this in his big book of "cash cow legislation"

Even before the legislation has been drafted one can hear the excited whispers of lawyers who know that arguments about what "undermining British values" may be a valuable source of income for years ahead.

Soldato
The problem is most people will understand this in the context of "fighting radicalisation" as "cracking down on the bad guys".

But this is literally Orwell's thoughtcrime (crimethink). We're actually living in 1984.

The powers are SO overreaching!

Oh, was he really saying what it appears he was saying then? I figured it was out of context

I need to read up on this one

Caporegime
Also I wonder if scorza will have to put this in his big book of "cash cow legislation"

Well let's see what the actual legislation looks like, though I wouldn't be surprised to find any government writing a law full of loopholes for their mates in the legal profession to make hay with. David Cameron's brother is a QC isn't he?

I was reading the other day about the laws in Singapore and how they've actually made a success of a multi-cultural society rather than the complete mess we have. They have a zero-tolerance approach to any criticism of any faith/culture or the state - one young lad is facing 3 years inside and a £10k fine for criticising Christianity and the late Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew. Well I'm sorry but unless you want to see more rivers of blood on the UK's streets you've got to take a zero-tolerance approach to intolerance.

Caporegime
Cameron today said this:

“For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone',”​

Er....

That was my thought as well. It's out if context, like my quote of it earlier on, but still... I think the scriptwriter that wrote that should be "reassigned"... :D

Caporegime
Oh, was he really saying what it appears he was saying then? I figured it was out of context

I need to read up on this one

Nope, its not far off what he actually means. If you say or do something the government disagree with they will be able to arrest you or just force you to shut up entirely legally. Scorza will love it, the rest of the country will hopefully realise it is awful legislation and they'll have to scrap it before it passes!

Caporegime
Nope, its not far off what he actually means. If you say or do something the government disagree with they will be able to arrest you or just force you to shut up entirely legally. Scorza will love it, the rest of the country will hopefully realise it is awful legislation and they'll have to scrap it before it passes!

I didn't want a multi-cultural society, I was never asked if I wanted one. But, we have one and we have to find better ways of managing it than we are at the moment. People's lives are literally at stake.

Caporegime
I didn't want a multi-cultural society, I was never asked if I wanted one. But, we have one and we have to find better ways of managing it than we are at the moment. People's lives are literally at stake.

I'm happy with one, so that means our votes are cancelled out. :p

Soldato
........They have a zero-tolerance approach to any criticism of any faith/culture or the state - one young lad is facing 3 years inside and a £10k fine for criticising Christianity and the late Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew.

You don't see a problem with the highlighted parts?

So me saying Thatcher was scum for allowing establishment paedophiles to get away with it and Blair should be in court for war crimes should be punishable by prison time and a fine?

Soldato

I don't agree but you're entitled to this opinion.

Unfortunately it's a position slightly let down by the fact that the British Empire imposed itself on dozens of cultures for several centuries. Would you have preferred none of those citizens of the commonwealth ever came to the UK? Because if you don't like other "cultures" coming here then I'm pretty sure the feeling was mutual!

Also do you actually have no foreign friends, in-laws, or acquaintances? Which part of the country do you live in?

Back
Top Bottom