Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Permabanned
Capitalism?

We've always lived in a capitalist system, but over the last 10 years people have become more selfish and unable to tolerate those less fortunate, it's sad!

You know what this government is going to be like when the first thing they talk about is a repeal of the fox hunting ban, that's who their masters are and who they represent

Last edited:
Soldato
We've always lived in a capitalist system, but over the last 10 years people have become more selfish and unable to tolerate those less fortunate, it's sad!

You know what this government is going to be like when the first thing they talk about is a repeal of the fox hunting ban, that's who their masters are and who they represent

Because over the last 10 years, population numbers increased, work has become scarce, housing more expensive and there's less time and money to keep picking people up by their bootstraps. So to speak.

Soldato
I find our final poll results rather interesting, with the exception of labour, we were actually % wise very representative of the country as a whole when they voted.
To get the labour % you seem to have to add in the spoiled/won't vote numbers.
(Actual) figures in brackets : OcUK poll after

Conservative Party (36.9%) 39.45%
Labour Party (30.4%) 18.35%
UK Independence Party (12.6%) 12.03%
Liberal Democrats (7.9%) 7.54%
Scottish National Party (4.7%) 5.10%
Green Party (3.8%) 4.95%
Spoiled/Didn't Vote (Not represented) 10.36%

Yeah i noticed that and it surprised me. It seems more a lack of lefties, than a huge amount of right wingers as assumed

Soldato

By that logic, Labour's master is foxes.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense.

Man of Honour

If the problem started to really show 10 years ago, it wasn't the fault of the Tories.

Perhaps the root of the problem was in creating a client state that gave a lot of money to people who didn't really need it by taking more from people who needed it more but didn't fit random criteria (think working tax credits) has put people off helping the 'vulnerable'

Permabanned
If the problem started to really show 10 years ago, it wasn't the fault of the Tories.

Perhaps the root of the problem was in creating a client state that gave a lot of money to people who didn't really need it by taking more from people who needed it more but didn't fit random criteria (think working tax credits) has put people off helping the 'vulnerable'

The issue of working tax credits was because largely private companies weren't paying enough and rather than upsetting big business the idiots thought the tax payers should subsidise wages to keep up with inflation of housing etc.

Man of Honour
The issue of working tax credits was because largely private companies weren't paying enough and rather than upsetting big business the idiots thought the tax payers should subsidise wages to keep up with inflation of housing etc.

Tax credits (working and child) were originally available to all household with an income of up to £58k. That was not a case of money going to those who need it.

Soldato
I don't think people can afford to care about others, I think labour will win an election when people feel good again. Or maybe people just expect a lot more these days.

People feel the balance has swung too far the way of claimants , I doubt that is true for all cases, but it certainly is for a few.

Soldato
Good reading by one of the worlds top economists on why austerity has failed and we need to increase sending for there to be a recovery
http://www.theguardian.com/business/ng-interactive/2015/apr/29/the-austerity-delusion

Finally got around to reading this thoroughly, and I can't stress enough what a good economic history it is for a general audience.

At the very least everyone in the country should glance at Chart 2. More austerity = less economic growth in times of low demand.

Labour were so foolish to let the Tories get away with dressing up austerity has anything but radical and downright damaging. In the short term everyone has lost out - not just those receiving less in benefits but everyone who would have enjoyed an economic recovery in the 2-4% GDP p.a. range, where we probably would have been otherwise (with Germany and the USA).

The real shocker is that the upcoming budget is going to contain more cuts! Despite all the evidence that it suppresses growth in times of low interest rates!

Soldato
I don't think people can afford to care about others, I think labour will win an election when people feel good again. Or maybe people just expect a lot more these days.

The thing is that's what we did last time and we eventually got burned for it. Once bitten twice shy, the likelihood of Labour winning 2020 are slim unless they find a Tony Blair Mk2. in the next few months. They need a longer time to be out of power before a new generation of naive youngsters eventually emerge from school after indoctrinated by the teachers not knowing what it means to have a Labour government.

People feel the balance has swung too far the way of claimants , I doubt that is true for all cases, but it certainly is for a few.

Only for a few, this is a first world country and absolute poverty does not exist here, and unless we have scores of people dying in the streets from starvation it's not going to change anyone's mind. If you look at a vast majority of people who whine about making ends meet. I bet you can look into there lives and make significant changes to vastly improve there lives. Yes there will be exceptions to the rule and of course you will be able to pull examples, but mercifully these will be a tiny amount.

Soldato
They need a longer time to be out of power before a new generation of naive youngsters eventually emerge from school after indoctrinated by the teachers not knowing what it means to have a Labour government.

Absolute nonsense. Teachers don't indoctrinate children to vote for a particular party. Do you never the filter the things you think ? Seems like it just spews out completely unregulated.

Only for a few, this is a first world country and absolute poverty does not exist here

Again more nonsense. Almost 1 in 60 people have used food banks in the UK in the last year. If people can't even afford food, how is that not 'absolute poverty' ?

http://www.trusselltrust.org/foodbank-figures-top-900000

Soldato
Absolute nonsense. Teachers don't indoctrinate children to vote for a particular party. Do you never the filter the things you think ? Seems like it just spews out completely unregulated.

You're naive if you think Teachers do this directly, they aren't stupid to do that, it's very suitable and disguise it user 'social studies' or 'history lessons'

Again more nonsense. Almost 1 in 60 people have used food banks in the UK in the last year. If people can't even afford food, how is that not 'absolute poverty' ?

Again you have a failure in comprehension. Absolute poverty is not going to a food bank, in fact the very existence is a another in a long chain of safety nets in the UK that does not exist outside of the 1st World. You want to see real Absolute poverty? I suggest you look at the 3rd world. We don't have that here, why do you think so many immigrants want to come here? Even the poorest in this country is richer than vast majority of the rest of the world

RDM

RDM

Soldato
You're naive if you think Teachers do this directly, they aren't stupid to do that, it's very suitable and disguise it user 'social studies' or 'history lessons'

I have never indoctrinated a student either directly or indirectly. I don't even mention my political views in class.

Soldato
You're naive if you think Teachers do this directly, they aren't stupid to do that, it's very suitable and disguise it user 'social studies' or 'history lessons' .

Calling you out on this crap right now. Sources please showing schools with teachers indoctrinating children to follow a political party.

Again you have a failure in comprehension. Absolute poverty is not going to a food bank

Yes it is. If you can't afford to feed yourself you ARE in absolute poverty. Stop talking utter nonsense.

Associate

Teachers absolutely indoctrinate children, its part of their jobs? Most of the time it isn't bad, but its a fool that thinks education is anything other than melding people into a particular view. Children are highly impressionable and are very susceptable to influence from an authority figure.

I would HIGHLY recommend this TED talk by Sir Ken Robinson.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

Soldato

The reason food bank usage has gone up under the last government is because the Labour government before it had caps on food bank usage which have been removed.

And Rob is right, we don't have absolute (aka real) poverty in the UK, we have relative (aka fake) poverty, its another type of poverty that charities invented so they could talk about poverty and potential donors would think of starving Africans. In reality it means that somebody is earning below average.

Soldato

To be honest I'm not sure whether it's because people have enough problems of their own not to be bothered about others any more, or peoples mind-sets have been changed/manipulated to a large extent by the media. Just looks at benefit fraud, it's measured at less that 1%. Yet look at the coverage it gets, and people love a good rant at "benefit street" You can guarantee any story in the news is about someone milking the system. Yet we never see the stories of people really struggling or the ones that have been pushed over the edge. It's easy to just label everyone on benefits as a scumbag/scrounger and push through ever more cuts that are more to do with ideology than financial savvy. It kinda works though, if you can get everyone on benefit taking the blame for the countries woes and the reason why there needs to be such severe cutbacks. People soon forget about how fraudulent, incompetent and greedy the financial industry was in getting us here.

I have a friend who has recently started volunteering for the CAB. New to it, worked for the tax office before. (so has left the darkside, so to speak LOL) Has been taken aback by the number of people that are really struggling and desperate having almost fallen through the cracks. I don't doubt there are some chancers that abuse the system. But the amount of coverage/attention is disproportionate because it doesn't suit the political landscape being created at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes it is. If you can't afford to feed yourself you ARE in absolute poverty. Stop talking utter nonsense.

You're trying to shoe-horn your definition of poverty into a debate when its completely wrong

Absolute poverty was defined as: a condition characterised by severe deprivation of basic human needs, including food, safe drinking water, sanitation facilities, health, shelter, education and information. It depends not only on income but also on access to services.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...s5ew3fiVA2BamNdVE=&docid=C6dSYaRJWkKmzM&itg=1

Food Bank provide food and people in this country has access to all the rest in one way or another.

Back
Top Bottom