• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Yes it is. If you can't afford to feed yourself you ARE in absolute poverty. Stop talking utter nonsense.

LOL.

People don't go to food banks because they can't afford to eat, they go to food banks because if they buy food then they will have trouble paying their rent, gas, electric, water, etc and food banks are an easier way for the government to lighten their load than setting up some bloated government department to figure out who needs help with what.

People don't go to food banks because they are starving, they do it to save money because they need it in other areas. That's the big difference between them and somebody in absolute poverty who doesn't have a home to pay bills on.

Soldato
I was taught not indoctrinated and so was everyone else I know. Madrasas indoctrinate and other religious schools.

How do you know? People don't tend to realise when they've been Brainwashed ;)

Thanks for finally admitting that using food banks is a sign of absolute poverty. Pathetic how you tried to wriggle out of the obvious.

ah-hum!

Food Bank provide food and people in this country has access to all the rest in one way or another.

Therefore food has been provided and they are not without food. LOL. Whats pathetic is how you're trying to claim we have poverty like Africa!

Last edited:
Soldato
LOL.

People don't go to food banks because they can't afford to eat, they go to food banks because if they buy food then they will have trouble paying their rent, gas, electric, water.

So they go to food banks because they can't afford to eat then otherwise their utilities get cut off. Stop talking rubbish.

Soldato
So they go to food banks because they can't afford to eat then otherwise their utilities get cut off. Stop talking rubbish.

If you were having trouble paying the bills, which tend to be relatively fixed (rent, council tax, utilities, etc.) wouldn't you look for savings, like on the food bills by getting handouts at food banks? Seems like an obvious thing to do to me.

Probably nobody lives exclusively off food banks. Nor do people reduce their expenses strictly in order from most frivolous to most essential (cutting utilities before touching the food budget).

Soldato
That's blown over now (as i predicted), All the detractors have either been removed or left. Douglas Carswell has backtracked his earlier statements in yesterdays Sunday Politics and and all but Patrick O'Flynn have come out to back Farage now

Patrick O'Flynn is either going to back-track like the rest (And to a extent already has) or just leave the party. It's business as usual at UKIP now

And as if they heard me :D

https://twitter.com/DouglasCarswell/status/600250080734621698

Soldato
Yes it is. If you can't afford to feed yourself you ARE in absolute poverty. Stop talking utter nonsense.

I think you are confusing absolute poverty with relative poverty my friend.

Absolute poverty was defined as a condition characterised by severe deprivation of basic human needs, including food, safe drinking water, sanitation facilities, health, shelter, education and information. It depends not only on income but also on access to services.

So absolute poverty isn't dependent on "not having enough money to buy food" it would be having no access to food at all, which given they have access to food banks means they aren't in absolute poverty.

Relative poverty is the condition in which people lack the minimum amount of income needed in order to maintain the average standard of living in the society in which they live. Relative poverty is considered the easiest way to measure the level of poverty in an individual country. Relative poverty is defined relative to the members of a society and, therefore, differs across countries. People are said to be impoverished if they cannot keep up with standard of living as determined by society.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whats pathetic is how you're trying to claim we have poverty like Africa!

This lol.

So they go to food banks because they can't afford to eat then otherwise their utilities get cut off.

That doesn't mean that they can't eat or even that they cannot afford to eat, it means they spend money they could could use on food on other stuff and STILL get to eat, because they live in a first world country without poverty.

Clearly it's crazy day at OCUK. All the tin foil hatters are on this thread right now.

Technically speaking, you don't constitute "hatters" by yourself, you will need to find another to team wih you.

Have at it guys. I've had enough trolling for one morning thanks.

But your trolling was so funny :(

Soldato
^ Several people here need to engage brains.

Saying 'but "they've" got food banks, they can't be in poverty' ignores the fact that food banks typically hand out small quantities of cheap, long-life food. Tins of beans and packs of rice, that kind of thing. Anybody struggling that much to buy food is probably going to be short of nutriment - fresh fruit and vegetables in particular.

Just think for a moment what it would be like to not even be able to afford food for nutritious meals day to day! Brushing the use of food banks off as "people aren't literally starving to death so it's fine" is just ignoring the elephant in the room - we shouldn't need food banks at all in 21st century Britain!

Soldato
:rolleyes: won't do much good if society crumbles, we either have to live in a decent society where the vulnerable get care and support or we live in one where the rich rule and we have shiny weapons. It's says a lot about people who say oh we can't not have nuclear weapons we won't ever use over and above social security!

What has happened to the sense of society, community and compassion?

I think that around 10 years ago there was a shift into thinking those that had done well from there selves had somehow be tax dodgers or part of the rich gang. Generally the feeling of aspiration in this country to try and climb your way up the ladder and make things better for yourself and family changed to a mood of jealousy of anyone with any sort of money what so ever. With that in mind the voices of the left had free reign to shout whilst most of those just doing OK kept quiet whilst this change was taking place.

The election results I think was the two finger salute from those that have had to quietly put up with it all these years. That is where the society, community and compassion has gone.

Soldato
That doesn't mean that they can't eat or even that they cannot afford to eat, it means they spend money they could could use on food on other stuff and STILL get to eat, because they live in a first world country without poverty.

Real life is not how you imagine it. For example, in a survey of single parents a couple of years ago 2/3 said they skipped meals just to feed their children. Nobody skips meals unless they absolutely have to. These people aren't ****ing their money away, they're living hand to mouth.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/dec/17/single-parents-skipping-meals-welfare-cuts

Caporegime
At the very least everyone in the country should glance at Chart 2. More austerity = less economic growth in times of low demand.

I'm in strong agreement with the overall argument on austerity - it's been a disaster for our economy and for the Eurozone - however, that chart is kind of useless.

The problem is that it shows only correlation. Now, can you think of any chain of causality other than austerity causes reduced growth that would explain that pattern? Might it be that countries which are in a worse economic state have both more austerity and worse growth? It's arguably a confirmation of the result if you've already been convinced by the evidence but it is, in no way, a killer argument on its own.

Soldato
^ Several people here need to engage brains.

Saying 'but "they've" got food banks, they can't be in poverty' ignores the fact that food banks typically hand out small quantities of cheap, long-life food. Tins of beans and packs of rice, that kind of thing. Anybody struggling that much to buy food is probably going to be short of nutriment - fresh fruit and vegetables in particular.

If you're referring to my post than you misunderstand. The definition of ABSOLUTE poverty is you have NO access to food (including food banks), that doesn't mean people that use them aren't in relative poverty, it just means you shouldn't use superlatives like "absolute poverty" if we want a realistic discussion on the issue.

Soldato
If you're referring to my post than you misunderstand. The definition of ABSOLUTE poverty is you have NO access to food (including food banks), that doesn't mean people that use them aren't in relative poverty, it just means you shouldn't use superlatives like "absolute poverty" if we want a realistic discussion on the issue.

Exactly, whereas even after the difference was explained to him Sliver still maintained that the were tens of thousands in absolute poverty in the UK.

Soldato
Real life is not how you imagine it.

You have jumped into an ongoing discussion and misunderstood what people are saying, we're not talking about "relative" poverty but about "absolute" poverty, the poster we're arguing with believes "absolute" poverty is rife in the UK affecting thousands lol.

Back
Top Bottom