Votes: 67 5.1%
  • Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Very busy at our polling station this evening, having to queue for the first time ever, so maybe turn-out will be good this time. My wife and I voted for different parties (Con/Green but won't say which way round) We are in a Tory stronghold here, so a vote for anyone else is pretty much pointless and symbolic only.

Over the years I have voted for different parties, so I can't say I have an allegiance to any one group, and just go on how things are at the time. Once in power there is little to define one from the other anyway, as there is little room for vast sweeping changes within our system.

I wish nobody would vote based on the opinion of others. Way too many do it.

Every opportunity over the past week or so I've been shown videos on how Farage is our saviour. Soley based on the immigration is too high tactic.

Was going to vote Labour anyway, but I tend to avoid political or religious 'debates' with friends for the obvious reasons :).

What a decade of growth? Improved public services? A rise in wages, a fall in child poverty and poverty overall, and a recovery underway when they handed over power? Compared to five years which include terrible growth, a failure to meet their promises, a sharp increase in poverty and a targeting of cuts against the poorest and most vulnerable in society.

The coalition has been the worst government this country has seen in decades. They failed to address every long term problem this country has and made some of them worse.

I hope we see the back of them tomorrow.

If I spend a crap load of cash I don't have on making my life better. It gets better in the short term. Long term I will suffer.

The same applies with Labour's policies.

In boom times, you don't ***** cash up the wall to make more people employed in newly created jobs. You consolidate and pay off debt.

Interesting fact - the deficit for FY 2007-2008 i.e. before the effects of the disastrous financial crash, was a mere 2.75%, well within what most serious economists would call sustainable.

Why were we even running at a deficit during a peak time? You're meant to be paying off some debt at that time.

Public spending increasing to extraordinary and unsustainable levels.

Except economists across the globe thought the deficit wad perfectly sustainable, and it was.

Running a country is not the same as running a household .

Why were we even running at a deficit during a peak time? You're meant to be paying off some debt at that time.

Says who? Debt gets paid off all the time, whether you're running a deficit or a surplus.

Investing i.e. borrowing when your economy is growing seems like a perfectly reasonable and good idea to me.

Why are people so reluctant to say who they voted for on a forum? Do they think people truly care? I can understand not admitting it in real life but keeping it secret when you're just another screen name in the masses?

Why are people so reluctant to say who they voted for on a forum? Do they think people truly care? I can understand not admitting it in real life but keeping it secret when you're just another screen name in the masses?

Who's reluctant to say? Seems most people posting in here said who they voted for.

Ok someone explain why running at a deficit as a result of expenditure on public services (which is circular finance) is going to promote exports/reduce imports.

You mean pathetic ?

Exercising my democratic right to state that none of the candidates on offer were agreeable to me. What's pathetic about that?

If there were a candidate I felt were up to the job, they'd have gotten a little X next to their name. Why would I vote for mediocrity and incompetence?

Last edited:
Ok someone explain why running at a deficit as a result of expenditure on public services (which is circular finance) is going to promote exports/reduce imports.

OK, I'm not exactly sure where you think you're going with this but yeah running a deficit will weaken your currency, which makes your exports cheaper and imports more expensive.

The huge assumption here is that increased expenditure actually improves services which then results in an improvement elsewhere.

Huge swathes of extra middle management and widespread salary increases do not automatically result in an improvement in the associated service.

That is one of the main gripes thrown at labour. The increased expenditure did not appear to result in improved services.

The problem for the electorate is the outrageous use of stats by all parties to back up their claims.

Public perception is very often contrary to a stat pulled from no where

Back
Top Bottom