• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Given the SNP steamrollering happening here, but their effective lockout if it's (likely) a Tory government, what does this mean for the future of the UK. Could the UK start to break up? Could there be another referendum on Scottish Independence?

A very scary future.
A separated Scotland, EU referendum which will probably end up leaving. And all of us knowing what Greece feels like.

Soldato
Look at the vote share and seats of the top three parties.

While its a small sample at the moment it's consistent with previous elections. Inner city (generally labour) and non English seats generally have far fewer people in their constituencies than those in generally conservative seats (small towns and countryside.

It's one of the reasons Labour were/are so against boundary changes and the conservatives wanted changes to make them more even, it benefits Labour and harms the conservatives consistent.

That's how FPTP voting works. It's not to do with boundaries that big difference you have shown. Labour seats have just given their results first.

If it was the other way around and we started off with Conservative seats, you'd have more seats for them with Labour vote share not too far behind.

Soldato
Given the SNP steamrollering happening here, but their effective lockout if it's (likely) a Tory government, what does this mean for the future of the UK. Could the UK start to break up? Could there be another referendum on Scottish Independence?

Wouldn't think so for another couple of elections anyway. Labour will hope it's a protest vote against them siding with so many government policies ("bedroom tax" etc) and the poor have sided with SNP.

Best hope for SNP would be that it divides the UK with the Tories becoming even more nationalist, so depends how the votes for English-only policies go.

Caporegime
That's how FPTP voting works. It's not to do with boundaries that big difference you have shown. Labour seats have just given their results first.

If it was the other way around and we started off with Conservative seats, you'd have more seats for them with Labour vote share not too far behind.

It's a mix of both, which is why I added in the PR comment. Inner city constituencies have consistently less people in them that countryside/suburban seats, look it up. :)

Edit: An article from around the AV time

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12230663

Labour MPs tend to represent more of the urban or inner-city constituencies which have fewer voters. Increasing the size of the electorate in these seats would mean there being fewer of them overall.
Some in the Labour Party fear boundary changes could cost them up to 20 seats - or that it could even result in the party being shut out of power at Westminster for good.

20 seat loss by evening the constituency populations, just think what that would have done in 2010 and what it may have done at this election...

Last edited:
Caporegime
So what will happen in Scotland when they all moan about not getting the powers they wanted because they can't strike a deal with the Tories or effect change in Parliament yet half don't want to split from the union?! :confused:

Caporegime
So what will happen in Scotland when they all moan about not getting the powers they wanted because they can't strike a deal with the Tories or effect change in Parliament yet half don't want to split from the union?! :confused:

I think that half who didn't want to leave will decrease. Nicola will stir them all up again for another referendum in 2017.

Soldato
It's a mix of both, which is why I added in the PR comment. Inner city constituencies have consistently less people in them that countryside/suburban seats, look it up. :)

The problem is if you start changing boundaries, it's very subjective. As you said any changes favour one party over another.

How can can anyone make that call? If you let me do it I'll just make it favour what I want.

Also I believe there are arguments that the electoral register numbers don't properly reflect population numbers. So it depends which you base it on.

Back
Top Bottom