• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
I find the backlash against Clegg astonishing really, I think Lib Dems did a really good job of bringing balance to the previous 5 years. He conceded one issue and has been crucified for it which is bonkers.

It's not just the tuition fees thing though.

The Lib Dems stood for nothing and for nobody at this election. They're a traditionally left-wing party that suddenly decided they were as happy propping up a Tory government as a Labour one. That is a monumental error of strategy. I think Nick just assumed a lot of their supporters would vote for them anyway.

Caporegime
So the fallout of this is what exactly?

Are Scotland going to vote for independence again?

No, something far more constructive, SNP knows there's no point as there hasn't been the time to strengthen their base, something the Tories will hand to them if they don't do what they said they'd do.

Caporegime
So, the great British public decide on more pain and misery. I think I was the only one to call a Conservative majority in this election (and if they only need support from the DUP then it's as good as a majority). I'm glad that collaborators like Danny Alexander and David Laws got their P45s, it's a shame about genuinely decent LibDems like Vince Cable though, the most economicly competent minister we've had in living memory.

Alec Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon will be laughing right now, they've got the Tory government they wanted. Ed Miliband ran imo the best campaign but as one labour pundit said on Radio 4 this morning, their policies on offer just weren't aligned to their target voters - particularly on immigration. UKIP look like they won't win South Thanet, politics will be a duller place without Nigel Farage :(

One last thought:

Rupert+Murdoch.JPG

Soldato
So the fallout of this is what exactly?

Are Scotland going to vote for independence again? We get a vote to leave the EU?

I think there's two red lines for Scotland:

1. The government fails to deliver the Smith Commission reforms.

2. The UK votes to leave the EU.

If either of these happens then they'll hold another referendum, and this time they'll be gone. Otherwise, the SNP won't over play their hand. They'll wait a while before trying again.

Soldato
Wrong. The Scottish people told us their view on separation in the referendum.

Exactly.

The SNP don't represent the Scottish people as a whole, they've just benefitted massively from the FPTP system.

They have 50% of the vote but 95% of the seats. Labour, Conservative and LibDem combined got 46.7% of the vote, or 93.4% of the votes that the SNP did, yet have one seat each.

The referendum result proved that the SNP doesn't speak for the majority of Scots on the issue of independence. On what other issues does it not speak for them on?

Granted that's just the way the FPTP system works and it's not their fault, but they'll no doubt spend the coming days and weeks ranting on about how the Tory government doesn't have a valid mandate for Scotland, when in reality they don't either!

Associate
I can't see any way out of this for Labour now. If they move to the centre right to get votes in England they wont pick-up any Scottish votes. If they lurch even further to the left they wont pick up any more votes in England. Royally screwed.

Soldato
It's not just the tuition fees thing though.

The Lib Dems stood for nothing and for nobody at this election. They're a traditionally left-wing party that suddenly decided they were as happy propping up a Tory government as a Labour one. That is a monumental error of strategy. I think Nick just assumed a lot of their supporters would vote for them anyway.

Its a misrepresentation to say they "propped up" a Tory government, I think they brought reason and balance to it.

Soldato
All the Scottish getting high ol'mighty on SNP

Funny how they said no to independence, they would have been stuffed with money if they did, thats all they are still here for, didnt have the balls and knew they would be in trouble if they did

(No offence to Scottish people)

Soldato
So, the great British public decide on more pain and misery.

Yep and what a glorious day it is and a likely majority. England doesn't want labour and Scotland definitely doesn't labour - I think that says a lot about how little faith people have in the red party.

This was coming for labour, they have relied on the Scottish vote for far to long and when that has gone they are nothing. Still I guess ed has the time to hang out with brand now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom