*** The official iOS 6 thread ***

Soldato
http://i.imgur.com/eTymj.png[IMG]

I have never noticed a battery usage meter on my iPad before. Is this a new feature of iOS6? Or was I just being blind?[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the percentage in the corner? I'm sure I've had that since I bought my iPad (before 6.0) :/

Associate
Incidentally, I find that standby time increases always, even during 'usage', so your total time is actually the standby time, and standby time is actually "standby - usage" as reported.. still, 12+ hours usage and days+ standby is good going, I get nearly 12 hours out of mine but with only about 2 days of standby.

Soldato
I'm amazed and so is Siri so he tells me, that Siri still can't activate or dis activate wifi or location services, hell, Siri is such a massive let down, hurry up google with the new app

Soldato
My 4s seems to get 'mini crashes' since the update. Every now and again the phone will freeze for 5-10 seconds, sometimes it goes black with the apple logo (like when you turn the phone on). Its a PITA.

Anyone else getting this?

Soldato
Mine seems better than ever? It's never brighter than it needs to be

The problem is the other way around. E.g. i was just out on my lunch and trying to text and auto brightness had set it very low, when it should be very high instead. I couldnt see anything

Associate
My 4s seems to get 'mini crashes' since the update. Every now and again the phone will freeze for 5-10 seconds, sometimes it goes black with the apple logo (like when you turn the phone on). Its a PITA.

Anyone else getting this?

I had this after I updated to iOS6. It seemed to go away once I closed all background program's and did a reset (holding down the home & power buttons until the phone turns off then turns back on again showing the apple logo)

Soldato
I thought Auto Brightness was borked too. Turns out it's been changed in terms of how it works and they didn't say. I think before you set what the maximum brightness you wanted was. Now it's the opposite?

Basically, turn it off, go in a dark room and set the slider to the minimum brightness you'd want in that room (i.e. all the way to the left or near it). Turn auto brightness back on.

It should work fine after that - I did the above last night after reading about it and when I woke up the thing had changed to about half way and it was much brighter. It changes more slowly than older iOS's as well.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Posted this in the iPhone apps thread, but worth posting here too i think. :)

iOS6 Maps alternative....

Just trying it out, its really good. :)

Soldato
Are apple still allowing 5.1.1 to be installed for those of us who don't fancy iOs 6?

I need to backup and restore my 3GS and it struggles with 5.0.1 so I doubt iOs 6 will be an improvement.

EDIT: It can be done on A4 devices. :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Here are my thoughts on iOS 6.0 now that I've had lots of time to play around with it...

Maps

The turn-by-turn feature is excellent and has been working perfectly for me! However, browsing manually around the map, you can see the flaws. The satellite imagery isn't good enough. If I had to rate it out of 10 in my area, it's a 1. This needs to be massively improved before I even consider using it properly. Many streets don't show on the map for me, however it navigates them well in turn-by-turn... bit weird :p

Nonetheless, this really could have waited another year and been a big feature for 7.0. It was announced as a big feature of 6.0, and I can't even use it properly at the moment. The flyover feature is awesome... if you live in the city. Otherwise, it's a pointlessly announced feature :p

Passbook

This is one that will no doubt grow in time... however, if I was Tim Cook, I would have made agreements with many companies to get this going from the get go. Opening Passbook gives you a link to the Passbook-enabled apps, and there are currently 4 apps - three airlines, and one hotel app. In its current state, it is useless for me. But from what I've seen of it demoed, it's promising and could be awesome later on. As I said, if I was Apple boss I would have helped companies along to get their apps enabled quicker, but I believe in time this app could be useful.

However, it's another app that is useless from the beginning... Not a great start...

Do Not Disturb, Phone etc.

Do Not Disturb is an awesome little feature, and works very well :) Would be nice to be able to schedule alternate timings through the calendar app, but currently it works well :)
The text message feature for phone calls is a nice addition also :)

App Store

They've turned the App Store into a slow, difficult experience with 6.0. Search queries need to be spot on before you get the app you're looking for. For example, typing in 1Pass won't get you "1Password" - You need to type the app name fully before it finds the correct one. And if you're looking for a specific app, you'll be trawling through other apps one by one before getting to the right one. It's a horrible system, and a complete step back :(

Being able to update your apps without entering your password is nice, but it should have been like that from the start :/

Overall, I feel the app store in 6.0 seems like a huge step back for what I've always enjoyed as somewhere to find new apps for my phone. In my opinion, it's currently slow, buggy and overly complicated - very unlike Apple.

Overall

Overall, it's a faster system. Everything is snappy... however, I've been using 6.0 mostly on my iPhone 5, which is a fast phone anyway :p
Maps has been an embarrassment, and I can only hope they make it better soon!
Passbook is a promising app, but should have been filled with apps - instead it's currently another useless app that I can't delete.
The app store is my worst complaint with this iOS update, but I doubt that'll be improved anytime soon :(
This is the most disappointing iOS update for me... I can only hope they have something big up their sleeve for the next major update to iOS...

Back
Top Bottom