*** The official iOS 6 thread ***

Soldato
Just updated my iPad to iOS 6. Regarding the map issues, despite the obvious problems, I think it has the potential to be spectacular. I think the 3D rendering (of city centres etc) really impressive.

The design is definitely very nice :) The font and colours used make for very easy reading - if only the data were up to scratch...

Associate
No issues like that with mine, wifi is behaving exactly as pre-upgrade.

What isn't behaving quite right is the ~30 seconds freeze that can occur when I open up Settings in order to turn wi-fi off when I don't want to sign into the office wifi/vpn and just use 3g instead. It's happened a few times since the upgrade (which isn't a huge percentage - 5-10% perhaps), and I happened to notice it because I access it a couple of times each work day, and it never did prior to the upgrade.

Associate
Would you say its worth upgrading my ip4?
Are there huge speed increases? I would like to keep google maps hence why I'm a little dubious to update.

Do you think apple will roll out a big update for the maps anytime soon?
Would really like to know if the battery on the ip4 has been effected, i.e is the performance better/worse, is the overall performance (speed) better for the ip4?

Cheers,
Em

Man of Honour

Em

It doesn't need a big update, there is zero wrong with the software.
There is an issue with the data, that they are already working on. Many many errors have already been sorted and I expect that to continue as fast as they can.

I also wouldn't expect any speed increase. just the new features, like do not disturb.

Soldato
did a wipe and reinstall and now working....

still maps is not as good as what it replaced.

That's amazing. A wipe and restore fixed an online database.

I still call shenanigans.

Would you say its worth upgrading my ip4?
Are there huge speed increases? I would like to keep google maps hence why I'm a little dubious to update.

Would really like to know if the battery on the ip4 has been effected, i.e is the performance better/worse, is the overall performance (speed) better for the ip4?

Cheers,
Em

Generally, it's the same as 5.1.1 in my experience. Safari is a bit quicker.

Maps is only a portal app. The problems are with the database which is on Apple's servers.

Associate
Soldato
Like apple innovates. :rolleyes:

The fact that they hold patents, the infringement of which by Samsung was just upheld by a US court to the tune of $1bn says they do.

Apple basically invented the smartphone as we currently know it. Give it a rest with the "Apple don't innovate" crap already :rolleyes:

Soldato
Anyone with a new iPad having wifi problems with iOS6?

I have to reconnect it to the wifi after it's been on extended lock, previously would auto-join. :(

Yes, but with my ip4, I ended up setting my wireless network to visible, changing the SSID, changing the encryption then changing it back again as that broke Airplay (I **** you not).

Soldato
Ios6 seems to have broken auto brightness on my ip4s and ip5.
It doesnt dim now for some reason - or it does, just when it feels like it

Soldato
iPad users;

I've just downloaded 2 free apps. "Worldtubehd" which seems to play YouTube videos just as before although the searching interface is a bit rough, but once you're watching your video, it's just the same as it always was. "Live street view free" which seems to let you use street view but only in a small window. Don't flame me if I've missed something, I've only just tried them myself.

Associate
I'm using someone else's recommendation that was given for Jasmine as a replacement for a Youtube client until Google gets theirs out. Apparently the author's other Reddit app, "Alien Blue", was quite well received (though I don't use reddit) and this one seems quite good quality too.

Man of Honour
I'm not a massive fan of the layout, but it's so much b tan the YouTube app we lost. For a start videos continue to play in background.

Soldato
Eric Schmidt, Google's executive chairman, has said the firm has not started work on a new Google Maps app for iOS, despite a clamour from iPhone owners disappointed by Apple's home-grown replacement.

link

Back
Top Bottom