*** The official iOS 6 thread ***

ah jailbreaks for girls u big pansy! go on do it! :D

You're right - My iPad is currently updating :p Shame Passbook isn't available on the iPad, that's definitely a feature I want to play with more... But I'm not up to giving up my jailbreak on my iPhone just yet :p

I've only just scratched the surface of iOS 6 on the iPad - but here are my 15 minute thoughts...

1. Although the Maps app looks good, and the text style is very nice and easy to read - The images aren't good enough in areas outside major cities. The areas around my house are a complete blur, whereas on Google maps it is clear. This is quite disappointing, but I imagine it'll improve with time. The POI information on the maps are very well done, and although I can't fully test the Turn-by-turn on my iPad, it looks very nice and clear.

The 3D is quite a nice feature, and does look very good in the city. I'm just hoping that this will continue to be improved by Apple, as the quality of images aren't as good as Google.

2. The extra information Siri can give is very helpful! I might actually end up using Siri in this update! Being able to just ask Siri what films are on, and have it bring up a list with times is so helpful! However, I'm disappointed that it would appear, football information won't work if your team isn't in the Premier League. It showed me the results for the Premiership, but wouldn't give me any information on any teams or scores in other leagues :(

3. The App store does look nice - Not quite sure I like how the top charts are listed at the moment, but the App pages are definitely improved for the better :)

All in all, it looks like a solid update - However, the maps are a little disappointing, if you don't live in a major city...

I asked this before but no one responded. Maybe you dont know but I would like to know.

Turn by Turn directions are Siri's UK gayman voice! I want the female which Siri is set up for. How does it know to use the males voice? Apart from maybe detecting the mapping solution is within the uk?

Edit. Nevermind. Was a region setting that did it.

Last edited:

Plus the podcast app isn't great and now there's no choice. I don't want it to show me all episodes that it knows about, I just want the unplayed ones. That's how it's selected in iTunes but doesn't seem to be syncing well. It's also not syncing played podcasts back to iTunes, so I've listened to one, it's showing played in the podcast app but iTunes still shows it as unplayed.

Which podcast app are you using?

Quite impressed by iOS 6 maps app.

I was using it last night as a friend drove me home. It showed two icons on the map, which when tapped on stated that a particular road was closed. I was dubious as to it's accuracy (even if TomTom does supply the data) so we went that way anyway. Lo and behold there was a closure there due to some accident.

Zooming in and out of the vector maps on the ipad3 was very smooth and quick I must admit.

So who's going to update over the air vs downloading and updating on your computer?
I want to do it over the air but I don't want to get a briked iPhone if the connection drops haha, thoughts?

Connection is only needed when it downloads though, so worst that will happen is it won't download properly, therefore won't even get to the stage of attempting to install

Very true, still havent woken up properly haha.
I don't know, I always think a computer download is always a 'cleaner' install.

I'll probably download it over the air, and steal my uni's wifi haha

I'm going to download and sync for update. The servers will inevitably be swamped tonight again so it's probably not worth the risk to do it over the air. I'm going to update tomorrow night instead. I'm travelling friday so I really want to try the 'sat nav' out :)

Back
Top Bottom