*** The Official iPad (Early 2012) Thread ***

Soldato
My 78 year old father can even notice the difference clearly between my iPad 1 and 3 so I've no idea how most folk aren't. First thing he did was load up the bbc site and was confused at why he didn't have to zoom in. Then he noticed the clarity of the text compared to what he'd experience on the iPad 1.

Soldato
the thing is though using one in a shop, and using one on the sofa are quite different.

WHen browsing at home i woul wager you hold the screen closer than you would in a shop - at which point its clearly much better.

I gave the wife my ip1 and so get to use it still, and find it grainy when going back. If i had a 2, i on't think i'd upgrade though, with apple i tend to go every other iteration, and never once felt i needed the ipad 2 or the 4S.

mine weren't in a shop :) and were scrutinized - so verycloseviewing

I'm not saying the 3 is not better - it is - but not as much as the resolution difference would imply - IMO - I was expecting night and day difference

Soldato
I was expecting night and day difference
I get most of my tech gossip vai Leo Laporte's TWIT podcasts, and even he -- a self confessed iPad evangelist -- says the difference is not as immediately obvious as he expected.

I imagine browsing a text-heavy website is one area where a difference will be probably be more immediately obvious, but I still think the screen on an iPad2 is superb, and while using the one I bought my mother I never found myself thinking "wish I had more pixels", mainly because the whole pinch & zoom thing is so intuitive and effortless that zooming in a bit on fine text isn't an issue.

The iPad2, with its smaller energy footprint, mature technology (no yellowish screens), and lower price, is a very compelling purchase. It is, however, hard to stop yourself wondering what the newer hardware will eventually be able to do.

Personally I'd be happy to pay £400 but swap the higher res screen for a USB port, SD card slot, and microphone jack. But we all know how likely Apple are to add those. Why make the consumer very happy when you can make them mostly happy. :)

Man of Honour
I was expecting night and day difference

I think this is what I was expecting due to many of the comments on tech websites and here.

My 78 year old father can even notice the difference clearly between my iPad 1 and 3 so I've no idea how most folk aren't. First thing he did was load up the bbc site and was confused at why he didn't have to zoom in. Then he noticed the clarity of the text compared to what he'd experience on the iPad 1.

We a talking about 2 vs 3. There is a huge difference between 1 and 3.

Soldato
If you want to see a difference, load these forums, main forum list, view as portrait.

If you can't see a massive difference, I suggest an opticians ;)

This!

I used to have to view websites in landscape and even then had to zoom a fair bit to make things comfortably readable. Now I can view all websites in portrait without zooming and they're easily readable. Makes a massive difference to me.

Soldato
Personally I'd be happy to pay £400 but swap the higher res screen for a USB port, SD card slot, and microphone jack. But we all know how likely Apple are to add those. Why make the consumer very happy when you can make them mostly happy. :)
Buy a CCK, UCA202 USB soundcard and send me the remaining £330.

You now have a USB port, an SD card slot and audio in. ;)

Associate
Anyone else having problems with the wifi strength? My iPad 3 drops wifi intermittently where my iPad 2 & iPhone 4 doesn't have any problems. If I move to the same room as my router, the iPad 3 suddenly springs back to life. Noticed a few posts on Apples community site around this. Be interesting to know if anyone here has had any problems? Thinking of returning it but would rather not due to the hassle plus the fact everything else is perfect - no yellow screen etc.

Associate
I thought the difference between the iphone3 and the retina display on the iphone 4 was like night and day.
Ive gone from an ipad2 to a 3 and I must say that although good, the difference doesnt seem to be as great as that between the iphone models......maybe its just me, but others ipad 1 and ipad 2 owners i know have said they arent convinced......

Soldato
I thought the difference between the iphone3 and the retina display on the iphone 4 was like night and day.
I think that's because the iPhone really does have a retina display, whereas the iPad is only retina-ish. Our eyes are very sensitive to pixelation (it is, after all, completely unnatural) and although the iPad3 is a significant step up, it can't match the dpi of the iPhone. I think it's 266dpi on the iPad v 320 on the iPhone.

Either way, I'm hoping to be as impressed by the iPad3's screen as I was in 2002 by the poorly backlit, but otherwise very spacious 1400x1050 screen on my £1500 laptop. Still can't believe I talked myself into that... it had been a bad year, that's my excuse. :)

I am also hoping that Apple will inspire a movement towards higher resolution screens in monitors. The price gap between bog standard 1080p screens and proper hi-res screens has been too big for too long.

Buy a CCK, UCA202 USB soundcard and send me the remaining £330.
Practicality has no place in an Apple thread. ;)

Soldato
Think I'm gonna send mine back 'cause of the small defect. Love the device but not using it overly much at the moment and think it should be pristine considering the money paid for it. Just hope Apple don't assume I've dropped it and want a new one or something.

Back
Top Bottom