• iPhone 12

Votes: 39 13.4%
  • iPhone 12 Pro

Votes: 93 31.8%
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max

Votes: 109 37.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
Do you use Waze? It's happened once or twice to me, where it looks like Waze has shut down, but seems to be still running in the background.
Nah, wasn’t using anything intensive at the time. Just WhatsApp and then put the phone on the side as it was getting uncomfortably hot!

Soldato
Would like to upgrade my iPhone soon, currently have the iPhone SE (2016), I read that this will have software support dropped later in the year for ios15, but thats not the reason I would like to upgrade, but it is a factor as well, I would like a bigger phone also.

For someone that doesn't really have an interest in all the camera capabilities of the 12 pro is there any other reason I would regret getting the standard 12 over the 12 pro?

I could also wait for the iPhone 13, but Im not fussed about that, I normally keep my phones for quite a while anyway, I have had the SE since 2016.

Buying outright as well so getting the standard would save me some money.

I would also likely get 128gb storage space.

Advice welcome.

Thanks

Soldato
More RAM and nicer build quality.
Is it? The build quality is pretty much the same save for the material used on the rails. Having seen both I'd take the matte aluminium side rails of the 12 over the glossy Stainless steel rails on the Pro despite the steel being the slightly tougher material. There is a matte/frosted back on the Pro vs the glossy on the 12 which is merely down to personal taste at this stage.

Advice welcome.

Thanks
If you're settled on having 128gb storage then the Pro is better choice as by the time you step up to 128gb on the 12 it's only a £50 difference and you do at least get the extra 2gb RAM as well as the added camera tech even if, as you say, you don't really need it.

I got the regular 12 myself however I am more than content with 64gb storage so the extra cost for the Pro just wasn't worth it to me.

Soldato
If you're settled on having 128gb storage then the Pro is better choice as by the time you step up to 128gb on the 12 it's only a £50 difference and you do at least get the extra 2gb RAM as well as the added camera tech even if, as you say, you don't really need it.

I got the regular 12 myself however I am more than content with 64gb storage so the extra cost for the Pro just wasn't worth it to me.

Thanks, I likely am ok with 64gb as well, just checking my current phone and got tons of space still!

Soldato
Was the extra 2Gb RAM ever proven to make a difference? When the 12 series first came out, people on reddit were saying it didn't and that 2Gb was used for the extra camera capabilities on the Pro models. It seems strange that Apple would reserve ram specifically for that purpose, so I imagine there must be some difference.

Either way, 4gb is starting to be too low an amount on the top end iPhones. Even the word games I play need to reload regularly.

Soldato
So I'm having trouble deciding between a S21 Ultra and an Iphone 12 Pro max, keeping in mind Ive used Android from day 0 and closest I've got to an iphone is the old Ipod Touch back in the day.

Anyone fancy trying to convince me to hit the buy button / help me make up my mind.
If it helps most of my usage is internet, youtube and some moderate photography.

Thanks for your time!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So I'm having trouble deciding between a S21 Ultra and an Iphone 12 Pro max, keeping in mind Ive used Android from day 0 and closest I've got to an iphone is the old Ipod Touch back in the day.

Anyone fancy trying to convince me to hit the buy button / help me make up my mind.
If it helps most of my usage is internet, youtube and some moderate photography.

Thanks for your time!

If you buy direct from Apple you have 14 days to change your mind. Should be plenty of time to make an assessment. I’ve found this is the best way to make a decision.

Soldato
So I actually recently picked up an iPhone 12 Mini to head back into the Apple ecosystem since a fairly consistent android run after being rather underwhelmed with the Pixel 5 despite its fantastic battery life.

While I actually had concerns over the Mini’s battery life from what I had been reading the experience is completely opposite. The phone is easily lasting a day with around 6-7 hrs SOT which for a handset of its size is terrific.

Also the new iOS is much better now and I feel it’s much more organised an streamlined than before and it makes for a much better experience.

Overall the phone is just a fantastic little thing and it’s brilliant to have a top of the line phone of this size with an actually fairly decent sized screen. To me Apple have absolutely nailed what smaller handsets should be.

Soldato
Samsung also has a no quibble return period if you buy direct. The S21 Ultra looks a beast and it’s a shame there’s no 120hz iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Associate
Was the extra 2Gb RAM ever proven to make a difference? When the 12 series first came out, people on reddit were saying it didn't and that 2Gb was used for the extra camera capabilities on the Pro models. It seems strange that Apple would reserve ram specifically for that purpose, so I imagine there must be some difference.

Either way, 4gb is starting to be too low an amount on the top end iPhones. Even the word games I play need to reload regularly.

I would be surprised if you notice a difference in use now as the iOS ram management is quite aggressive regardless of how much ram you have. But in a few years IOS updates time RAM could end up being a bottleneck (or an excuse for Apple to stop supporting your device).

Associate
Is it? The build quality is pretty much the same save for the material used on the rails. Having seen both I'd take the matte aluminium side rails of the 12 over the glossy Stainless steel rails on the Pro despite the steel being the slightly tougher material. There is a matte/frosted back on the Pro vs the glossy on the 12 which is merely down to personal taste at this stage.

Agree it is down to personal taste, but having both pro iPhones and standard 12s in my house in my opinion the pro models definitely have a more premium feel to them. Although I agree about the fingerprints and you would struggle to tell the difference once you have a case on!

Associate

Thanks for your time!

Probably worth giving iOS a go if you are on the fence and haven't used an iPhone before. Although you might get frustrated in some of the odd ways iOS does certain things compared to Android. Photo file management might be one of the bigger differences you will notice immediately. Youtube/internet browsing are much of muchness.

Associate
Would like to upgrade my iPhone soon, currently have the iPhone SE (2016), I read that this will have software support dropped later in the year for ios15, but thats not the reason I would like to upgrade, but it is a factor as well, I would like a bigger phone also.

For someone that doesn't really have an interest in all the camera capabilities of the 12 pro is there any other reason I would regret getting the standard 12 over the 12 pro?

I could also wait for the iPhone 13, but Im not fussed about that, I normally keep my phones for quite a while anyway, I have had the SE since 2016.

Buying outright as well so getting the standard would save me some money.

Advice welcome.

Thanks

How much of a bigger phone do you want? Coming from the original SE you might find 12 Mini quite appealing?
And no, you won't regret the regular 12 purchase, the screen is as good and if you don't care about the camera as much then no reason really.

Soldato
How much of a bigger phone do you want? Coming from the original SE you might find 12 Mini quite appealing?
And no, you won't regret the regular 12 purchase, the screen is as good and if you don't care about the camera as much then no reason really.

Thanks, I can get the pro for £899, which is swaying me towards that, and I will be keeping it for a good 5 years or more. The size of the SE is quite small for my hands really, I just liked the compact size for carrying around at the time.

Associate

Thanks for your time!

I’m also torn between the S21 and iPhone 12 Pro Max. I had an iPhone 3GS but android since then. Picked up an iPad Air 4 and really like it, problem is I have to use Windows at work.
Main worry is the battery life on the iPhone, how does it compare to the Samsung?
Also, any tips on how to make windows and the iPhone/iPad work well together (am using edge to share bookmarks/collections etc)?

Soldato
I’m also torn between the S21 and iPhone 12 Pro Max. I had an iPhone 3GS but android since then. Picked up an iPad Air 4 and really like it, problem is I have to use Windows at work.
Main worry is the battery life on the iPhone, how does it compare to the Samsung?
Also, any tips on how to make windows and the iPhone/iPad work well together (am using edge to share bookmarks/collections etc)?
I've switched from Android to my first iPhone with this generation.

The battery life is very good - I'm using the 12 Mini so obviously when the screen is on it drains as the battery is tiny (you wouldn't have this issue with the Pro Max), but when the phone is not being used there's barely any drain at all, which coming from Android is fantastic.

What do you want to work together between Windows and Iphone? If you want to share bookmarks, the easiest way would be to use the same browser on both platforms. Emails can be dealt with in most platforms. I'm not sure about sharing contacts, but I'm sure it can't be too tricky. I've had no issues, but then I've never used my phone "with" my laptop, so have no expectations in this area.

Back
Top Bottom