Poll: *** The official iPhone 13 (mini/pro/max) thread (The Pro Max has 120 Hz and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Which iPhone 13 will you get?

• iPhone 13 mini

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • iPhone 13 Pro

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes: 77 41.0%

• Total voters
Commissario
Are you suggesting people don't need cases for these new iPhones ? Would they survive a drop from a pocket onto concrete without a broken screen?
I managed to do that with my original 12 Pro Max, in fact it was higher than pocket level, it hit face down and wasn't even marked. I was on a call, moved the phone from one hand to another and it just slipped out of my grip.
Plenty of tests on YouTube where people have had to go up to well above head height in order to break the screens when dropped.

Still rocking an 11 pro but recently cracked my screen so figure I may as well upgrade.
Genuinely the first instance I've heard of anyone breaking an 11 or 12 screen.

Soldato
I managed to do that with my original 12 Pro Max, in fact it was higher than pocket level, it hit face down and wasn't even marked. I was on a call, moved the phone from one hand to another and it just slipped out of my grip.
Plenty of tests on YouTube where people have had to go up to well above head height in order to break the screens when dropped.

Genuinely the first instance I've heard of anyone breaking an 11 or 12 screen.

Just really unlucky. I've dropped it a hundred times but this time it hit a piece of metal directly on the notch (the only part of the phone not protected).

Soldato
When's the last time you saw anyone with a broken screen? The 11 and 12 have had fantastic screens which are far, far stronger than anything before and they very rarely break now. That's not just me saying it, that's based on threads on this forum and elsewhere.

The people who don't own the 11's and 12's, we have plenty of them in my work place. I'm talking about people who are clumsy, not the quality of the iPhone screen.

Soldato
...since there's no new tech to come aside from foldables..

....and under-screen finger print readers and camera(s). Arguably the latter, whilst it works OK-ish, still has a way to go but under-screen finger print readers are fairly well established and work well which is why i'm surprised Apple haven't adopted that for all the Touch ID fans.

I have a mount in my car which is specific for the phone model. I want to be able to use that for as long as I can without having to faff about changing it.

But I, and the majority of people, use sleek universal mounts, so design changes aren't a biggie ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In five years time, Apple will invent the foldable. You read it here.

"We've made the best folding phone, EVER™®©!!!"

When's the last time you saw anyone with a broken screen?

The other day in the office with a 12 after a tumble off a desk, they were part of the "smart" crew with no case or screen protector though, so go figure....

Soldato
Been into the Apple store this morning and had a quick play with the iPhone 12 Mini. I'm currently using a Google Pixel 3 XL.

Man that Mini is the perfect size for me. My only small gripe is the keyboard feels slightly cramped. But other than that, I really like the form factor.

Soldato
Not much going on about A15, without benchmarks and going by Apple's own numbers (which get more confusing every year), it looks like major GPU upgrade (They said ~50% faster than competition, which I assume is Snapdragon 888, which itself ties with A14). 50% improvement on the same node (not sure if it's N5 or N5P) is quite impressive, even more relevant because the same GPU uarch will be used for next-gen laptops and iMacs, where Apple has some serious catching up to do with Amd/Nvidia.

On the CPU the gains are likely smaller. They said 50% faster than competition (I assume SD888), and they also said last year that A14 was 50% faster than competition (SD865), so I'm assuming the gains are similar to the gains from SD865->SD888, so in the ~10-15% range. So they're just maintaining their performance lead against ARM cores. A 10-15% per-core improvement is probably inline with what we see next from AMD, so competition for the fastest core will remain tight, probably no winners again.

Associate
Points to consider:
Last year's Pro had 6gb RAM, compared to 4Gb on the non-Pro. If that continues this year, the Pro might feel snappy for longer than the non-Pro.
When you come to resell, you'll get more for the Pro. Figure on getting 50% of the purchase price difference back in increased resell value, depending on when you sell of course.
The screen is your only portal into the phone. Every day you use the Pro, you'll be getting value out of that 120hz.
This year, the Pro’s have 8GB of RAM.

Soldato
Been on an XS 256gb since September 2018, the battery feels like it's struggling (even though battery health is at 86%). It doesn't feel particularly slow like my 6+ did when I jumped from that to the XS, but I seem to be going in to low power mode around 5pm most days, earlier when I'm out and about and need satnav and such.

Going to get the 13 pro 256gb mainly so I get the super detailed video format they were talking about, but I use about 66gb of space on my 256gb XS at the moment, so not sure how much more space I'll use on this one...

Soldato
Going to get the 13 pro 256gb mainly so I get the super detailed video format they were talking about, but I use about 66gb of space on my 256gb XS at the moment, so not sure how much more space I'll use on this one...
10 mins of 4k ProRes video is about 100GB.
Probably why they limited it on the 128GB versions to 1080p

Soldato
The standard 12 (or 13 in this case) is as small as I would be prepared to go with a phone. Up until now (save for the Samsung S10e) I've always chosen the biggest screened phone possible. I only went with the 12 because I didn't require the Pro features and as much as I would have liked the bigger phone it just wasn't worth the cost for a bit of extra screen alone.
The 12 is a very good size and provides a great balance between a decent sized screen yet fitting comfortably in both my hand and a pocket.
Admittedly it helps that I have an iPad Air which I can use when I need a larger display.

A mate of mine still has the 11 Pro Max and that thing does feel like a brick (both in size and weight) in comparison. Although I know if I did go Pro Max in the future I'd quickly adjust.

Soldato
On a 12 Pro at the moment so arguably it doesn't make sense to upgrade. However, I've never been particularly impressed with the 12 Pro's battery life, especially having had an 11 Pro Max before which was pretty impressive on the battery front.

Last year I made the decision to drop from the Pro Max to a standard Pro because of size and weight but this year I'm debating getting the Max again. Primarily for the battery life, plus with a larger form factor it'll actually feel like a more substantial change. I just don't know :D

Back
Top Bottom