Poll: *** The official iPhone 13 (mini/pro/max) thread (The Pro Max has 120 Hz and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Which iPhone 13 will you get?

• iPhone 13 mini

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • iPhone 13 Pro

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes: 77 41.0%

• Total voters

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I think they did a good job with the 13. They improved pretty much every aspect of an already good phone.

The 13 pro for example:
  • Battery - added some more hours.
  • Screen - 120hz, variable refresh and brighter.
  • Cameras - Macro on the ultra wide, 94% more light on the ultra wide, more zoom on the telephoto, more light on the wide, Cinema mode, photographic styles.
  • Price - Dropped it by £50 (I think?)
I have a 12 mini and I'll be going for the 13 pro. I like the mini but when I'm out for a day trip and taking lots of photos and videos the battery tanks.

Associate
I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and use it for photos/videos a lot. Overall I’m happy with it however I have a couple of niggly gripes:-
  • Ultra wide is quite dark/grainy for my liking. Bought an ultra wide lens+case to use on the wide camera and works brill but it’s a faff carrying/setting up the combo.
  • It’s a little big for my liking but I can live with this
Im looking at the 13 Pro (not max) - are the cameras on the 13 Pro and Pro Max the same this year (unlike last year where the Pro max cameras are upgrades)? Is £700 a reasonable price to sell my 12 Pro Max 256gb in spotless condition?

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and use it for photos/videos a lot. Overall I’m happy with it however I have a couple of niggly gripes:-
  • Ultra wide is quite dark/grainy for my liking. Bought an ultra wide lens+case to use on the wide camera and works brill but it’s a faff carrying/setting up the combo.
  • It’s a little big for my liking but I can live with this
Im looking at the 13 Pro (not max) as an upgrade… thoughts?

Well they have addressed the ultra wide issue you have by making it 94% brighter. Going to the non-max should fix the size issue you have.

Commissario
Because people keep on breaking their iPhone screens and just replace it with another iPhone.
When's the last time you saw anyone with a broken screen? The 11 and 12 have had fantastic screens which are far, far stronger than anything before and they very rarely break now. That's not just me saying it, that's based on threads on this forum and elsewhere.

Soldato
Still rocking an 11 pro but recently cracked my screen so figure I may as well upgrade.

I think I'm going to go with the normal 13. There is nothing at all I need from the pro, except for the 120hz screen which would be really nice. Not sure I can justify spending the extra for it though. Decisions.....

Soldato
I think I'm going to go with the normal 13. There is nothing at all I need from the pro, except for the 120hz screen which would be really nice. Not sure I can justify spending the extra for it though. Decisions.....

Points to consider:
Last year's Pro had 6gb RAM, compared to 4Gb on the non-Pro. If that continues this year, the Pro might feel snappy for longer than the non-Pro.
When you come to resell, you'll get more for the Pro. Figure on getting 50% of the purchase price difference back in increased resell value, depending on when you sell of course.
The screen is your only portal into the phone. Every day you use the Pro, you'll be getting value out of that 120hz.

Soldato
Points to consider:
Last year's Pro had 6gb RAM, compared to 4Gb on the non-Pro. If that continues this year, the Pro might feel snappy for longer than the non-Pro.
When you come to resell, you'll get more for the Pro. Figure on getting 50% of the purchase price difference back in increased resell value, depending on when you sell of course.
The screen is your only portal into the phone. Every day you use the Pro, you'll be getting value out of that 120hz.

You're not helping my bank balance! :) All good points.

Do we know when they're being delivered if you pre order on Friday?

Soldato

IMO 120 Hz isn’t really a selling point.

I own a OnePlus 8T which has a 120 Hz display and I’m never really fussed switching to my 12 Pro Max.

It was great to begin with, but I wouldn’t choose one phone over another for 120 Hz.

Commissario
Do we know when they're being delivered if you pre order on Friday?
24th.

IMO 120 Hz isn’t really a selling point.
But if you read the threads in here over the last couple of years, 120 Hz is massive, it's the thing which stopped people upgrading to the 12, there were many very vocal posts about it :cry:

(personally, it's not even on my radar when I'm considering an upgrade, that's how unimportant I consider it).

Soldato
When's the last time you saw anyone with a broken screen? The 11 and 12 have had fantastic screens which are far, far stronger than anything before and they very rarely break now. That's not just me saying it, that's based on threads on this forum and elsewhere.
Are you suggesting people don't need cases for these new iPhones ? Would they survive a drop from a pocket onto concrete without a broken screen?

Two posts down :cry:

Still rocking an 11 pro but recently cracked my screen so figure I may as well upgrade.

Soldato
24th.

But if you read the threads in here over the last couple of years, 120 Hz is massive, it's the thing which stopped people upgrading to the 12, there were many very vocal posts about it :cry:

(personally, it's not even on my radar when I'm considering an upgrade, that's how unimportant I consider it).

I just had a mess about on my Brother's 120hz Galaxy and can barely tell the difference. The quality of the screen seems far more important and they are the same between the 13/13pro?

The only thing making me consider the pro is FOMO. Haha.

Soldato
Are you suggesting people don't need cases for these new iPhones ? Would they survive a drop from a pocket onto concrete without a broken screen?

Two posts down :cry:

It will always depend on the drop, they're not uncrackable, but I've had naked iPhones since the 6+ and I dropped that one down 4 flights of stairs whilst leaning against an opening, that did not survive uncracked haha. But I've dropped my current XS on to my laminate flooring a few times and it's survived - the technology has definitely gotten better in terms of drop resistance.

Soldato
Apple having to drip feed upgrades, same as most companies as we have hit a plateau. Kinda want a better night camera and bigger battery sounds good, although probably even’s out with the 120 screen… Meh pre-pre ordered one.

Tis new and shiny!

So weak :o

Soldato
Never tried one but on a phone is 120hz just a pointless gimmick?
I wouldn’t say it’s a pointless gimmick however it is, in many cases, an unnecessary luxury IMO.
I had two 120hz Android phones before changing to my iPhone 12 and while there is a small noticeable difference early on (or when using side by side) I very quickly got used to the 60hz and I don’t miss the high refresh at all.
I’ve mentioned before that iOS animations and general browsing is so smooth (whatever trickery they’re doing) that 60hz on an iPhone is still plenty smooth.

Now obviously, given the choice I’d take 120 over 60, who wouldn’t? But it’s not worth the price of the pro models and certainly not worth the loss in changing from a 12 series or even X/11.

Back
Top Bottom