Poll: *** The official iPhone 13 (mini/pro/max) thread (The Pro Max has 120 Hz and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Which iPhone 13 will you get?

• iPhone 13 mini

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • iPhone 13 Pro

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes: 77 41.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Disappointed (although not surprised) they didn't take the opportunity to switch to USB-C. Even if it was debuted on the Pro models.

Even the iPad Mini has USB-C now, leaving the iPhone the only device with USB 2.0 speeds. Good luck transferring ProRes video over USB :eek::(

iPhones will never have USB-C. It's a business decision to keep you in the ecosystem. They will keep Lightning until they go portless in a few years. I've given up the hope for USB-C iPhones.

Soldato
iPhones will never have USB-C. It's a business decision to keep you in the ecosystem. They will keep Lightning until they go portless in a few years. I've given up the hope for USB-C iPhones.

Agreed, and it's definitely something to criticise them for, a move to USB-C is a basic requirement, they should have adopted it years ago when they did on their Macbooks.

Soldato

If they go USB C it actually does the opposite and generates more money for apple as you now have to buy all new USB C accessories as your old lightning ones don't work

Soldato
Agreed, and it's definitely something to criticise them for, a move to USB-C is a basic requirement, they should have adopted it years ago when they did on their Macbooks.

What's funny is that Apple had a major role in the specs of USB-C, and never adopted it for iPhones :D

If they go USB C it actually does the opposite and generates more money for apple as you now have to buy all new USB C accessories as your old lightning ones don't work

Apple doesn't make a lot of phone accessories. Vast majority of accessories are third-party, with Lightning they need to pay Apple a licensing fee, with USB-C, Apple gets nothing. And being in the same accessories ecosystem as all other phones means switching away from iPhones is easier, as all your accessories will work with non-iPhones.

If you have a lot of lightning accessories, and Apple switches to USB-C, then you have to replace the accessories regardless of whether you get an iPhone or not, so you will also look at other options. If they all work with the newest iPhone, you'll likely just get the next iPhone. Apple cares a lot more about you buy a new iPhone than you buying another cable.

Soldato
I imagine the majority of users couldn't care less if it was Lighting, USB-C or anything else - It's just a charging adaptor.

Soldato
Got my 128GB Pro Max order in since I'm only using 40GB or so on my current phone. Arranged to sell my 12 Pro 128GB to Music Magpie for £600 last week before anything was announced which seemed to be a good move as they're only offering £505 now. Quote is valid for 3 weeks so I need to prep up to send that off next week.

Downside is that I'll have to use a spare iPhone 7 with a knackered battery for 2 or 3 days. Ah well.

Normally I'd say a £400 loss to get an upgrade after 11 months is pointless, and of course to some extent it is, but after being disappointed with the 12 Pro's battery life I wanted to go Max again to make sure I'm happy with it. I know the non-Max 13 Pro lasts longer than the 12 Pro does but I miss the exceptional battery life I used to have on my 11 Pro Max.

Soldato
I imagine the majority of users couldn't care less if it was Lighting, USB-C or anything else - It's just a charging adaptor.
It doesn’t bother me that’s for sure. I couldn’t honestly tell you the last time I plugged anything into my iPhone 12 (other than my DJI Mini 2). I have a wireless charger at my desk and one in the car.

Soldato
It doesn’t bother me that’s for sure. I couldn’t honestly tell you the last time I plugged anything into my iPhone 12 (other than my DJI Mini 2). I have a wireless charger at my desk and one in the car.

I agree in a way, I rarely plug mine in - but I also disagree with Apple for keeping the lightning port alive, it's proprietary and outdated now. For a company that is so focused on usability and continuity I think it's a gaping black hole where all of their other products (sans peripherals and headphones) are USB-C to have their main-stay using it. I also think it was a real shame that they used it on the AirPods Max too.

Soldato
Am I missing something here?

The iPhone pro 256gb costs £43.70/mo. or £1,049.00 from apple.

£58.45 x 12 = 701.40 (plus £70) down payment.

After 11 months you can upgrade but the phone only comes out every 12 months. So £771.40 for the year to have an iPhone.

Where as you can recycle the phone for a min £535 to one of those recycle places and just pop it in the post get the money the next day and probably get more on the market if you really want to have the hassle. Meaning you’re spending £665 per year for the phone (12 pro, originally cost £1199) as apposed to £771.40?

I fail to see the benefit of the upgrade program?

Associate
Am I missing something here?

The iPhone pro 256gb costs £43.70/mo. or £1,049.00 from apple.

£58.45 x 12 = 701.40 (plus £70) down payment.

After 11 months you can upgrade but the phone only comes out every 12 months. So £771.40 for the year to have an iPhone.

Where as you can recycle the phone for a min £535 to one of those recycle places and just pop it in the post get the money the next day and probably get more on the market if you really want to have the hassle. Meaning you’re spending £665 per year for the phone (12 pro, originally cost £1199) as apposed to £771.40?

I fail to see the benefit of the upgrade program?
It's 11 months (£643.5) +£70 and you have 9 months left x £58.5 to pay. So you are choosing after 11 months pay remaining £526 or give it away.

Soldato
What exactly are the benefits of usb-c over lightning? I know about faster data transfer but unification of cable types at home doesn’t strike me as much of a benefit. By the time everyone is on usb-c, there’ll be a usb-d and the whole process will start again, surely?

Soldato
What exactly are the benefits of usb-c over lightning? I know about faster data transfer but unification of cable types at home doesn’t strike me as much of a benefit. By the time everyone is on usb-c, there’ll be a usb-d and the whole process will start again, surely?

It's all about convenience away from home. I can travel with one charger and one cable for my headphones, power bank, laptop, tablet and phone. It's a minor thing.

Soldato
It's a minor thing.

Thanks for the explanation - there is lots of shouting on Reddit from people who “will not upgrade until iPhones have usb-c” and who totally ignore all the other upgrades from the 12 to the 13.

I don’t think I have a usb-c device in my house, except for my laptop which connects to my monitor via usb-c.

Back
Top Bottom