Poll: *** The Official iPhone 16 thread (it has Apple Intelligence and everything!) ***

Which iPhone 16 will you be getting?

• Total voters
So I’ve deliberately stayed out of the thread until I see some reviews given the upgrades to the regular 16. I’m currently on a 13 pro but I’m not convinced the pro is worth it this round.

I’ve still not decided 16 or 16 pro. For a ‘normal’ person it basically seems to come down to:
60hz vs 120hz
Extra camera
Different build materials
Software features I’ll probably never use
And….

Am I missing anything?

Sticking with the 13 Pro is always an option, if I did upgrade this would go to Mrs Sk8 who is on an 11 Pro.

The regular 16 is the pick this year if you don’t need the 120hz. I do miss 120hz tbh on my regular 15, but the phone does phone things really well.

So I’ve deliberately stayed out of the thread until I see some reviews given the upgrades to the regular 16. I’m currently on a 13 pro but I’m not convinced the pro is worth it this round.

I’ve still not decided 16 or 16 pro. For a ‘normal’ person it basically seems to come down to:
60hz vs 120hz
Extra camera
Different build materials
Software features I’ll probably never use
And….

Am I missing anything?

Sticking with the 13 Pro is always an option, if I did upgrade this would go to Mrs Sk8 who is on an 11 Pro.
I also have the 13 Pro and don't feel it's worth getting the 16 Pro for a camera and battery upgrade.

From my perspective, the 16 feels like a fixed 15 (assuming the battery doesn't decay like it seems to on the 15). By the time any of the useful AI stuff comes out, we'll be half way to the 17. The 16 feels like a beta product for AI so if you can wait, the 17 would likely fix any deficiencies that the 16 has, and hopefully offer something more interesting on the hardware side instead of trying to convince us that we can be the next Spielberg.

The regular 16 is the pick this year if you don’t need the 120hz. I do miss 120hz tbh on my regular 15, but the phone does phone things really well.

I think ‘need’ for 120hz is a bit of a strong word for anyone, ‘want’ is probably a better description.

Most of my devices at >60hz but I can’t say I’m bothered when I’m not using a 120hz screen.

I mean my gaming monitor is 144hz and the side monitor next to it is 60hz. Can I tell, yes instantly, does it trigger me? No not at all.

The same probably applies to the extra camera and the few times I actually use it on the pro I have now which I think is only 2X.

I also have the 13 Pro and don't feel it's worth getting the 16 Pro for a camera and battery upgrade.

From my perspective, the 16 feels like a fixed 15 (assuming the battery doesn't decay like it seems to on the 15). By the time any of the useful AI stuff comes out, we'll be half way to the 17. The 16 feels like a beta product for AI so if you can wait, the 17 would likely fix any deficiencies that the 16 has, and hopefully offer something more interesting on the hardware side instead of trying to convince us that we can be the next Spielberg.
No chance of me being the next Spielberg that’s for sure.

The one thing that does attract me to the new devices is better battery life, I’m finding my 13 Pro very poor now and struggling to get though a day due to my long commute.

That said, if I don’t upgrade, I’ll put a new battery in this one as it is down to 85% health which is part of the problem.

No chance of me being the next Spielberg that’s for sure.

The one thing that does attract me to the new devices is better battery life, I’m finding my 13 Pro very poor now and struggling to get though a day due to my long commute.

That said, if I don’t upgrade, I’ll put a new battery in this one as it is down to 85% health which is part of the problem.
That and the fact that the OS and apps likely use more resources - still a very capable phone though.

I also think that 8GB of RAM and 128GB of storage (base) is a bit of a scam for the Pro models; can see this being upped on the 17.

I don't think there will be an increase on 8G of RAM. I have the 14 Pro and that only have 6G of RAM. It will be a few more iterations before they put that up to 12G of RAM (can't see them doubling it to 16G)
Agreed. It’s worth remembering that the base spec of their laptops is only 8gb.

RAM is one of those thing that enthusiasts tend to go overkill on as we couldn’t possibly use a swap file ever.

Normal people are less fussed by the relatively small performance impact of using a swap file, particularly given how fast flash storage is these days. iOS by all accounts does an excellent job of managing memory, suspending and flushing unused apps to main storage.

You mean where you bring the two phones together and it migrates all your stuff across? Been a while since I used it but if I remember rightly at the end of the process it will ask you if you want to keep your iCloud account on the old device or not and then if you want to erase everything or not.

Last edited:
Anybody used quick start before? Does it do everything including wipe find my and iCloud etc from old phone? If so that seems the easiest

I wouldn't wipe it just yet, the last time it did it (XR to 14Pro), it transfer 99% of things but not everything. The one thing it didn't do is the Authentication apps information. I recall I had to use the XR to retrieve stuff and do the transfer manually inside the Authentication apps.

Yes that's right, you still need to manually set up authenticator apps again so it's probably worth keeping the old device as-is for a day or two if you can, just to make sure you're easily able to access everything again after.

Back
Top Bottom