• iPhone XS Max - 512Gb

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • iPhone XR - 64Gb

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • iPhone XR - 128Gb

Votes: 32 6.8%
  • iPhone XR - 512Gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 107 22.7%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 122 25.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
Now that the iPhone is dual-sim Apple really needs to think about allowing us to have duplicate apps. I need two instances of Whatsapp running, personal and business, but there is no legit way to do it without using something like Tweakbox.

Soldato
I imagine that would be more down to What'sApp allowing multiple profiles and user switching from the same app, especially seeing as it's not 'true' dual sim in the UK version, just a physical sim and a software sim.

Soldato
Because you're limited to the pre-approved e-sim plans available through Apple and local providers for one of them.

In the Chinese version you have two sim slots so you can put any sims you like in.

Soldato
I think going forwards, eSIMS will probably be the way most companies go. I kinda like it, my personal number is on my eSIM and I use my work SIM in the phone. If I go on holiday I'll just try and grab cheap data SIM only deals.

I still want multiple instances of apps though, for this reason.

Soldato
I've figured out the reason behind the battery drain I think - I use Spotify connect to control music on my AVR, and because of the the way iOS functions, Spotify have to use a silent audio track to keep the controls open in the background when nothing is playing on the device. For some reason, however, this really hammers the battery, to the point where I can go to bed with 80% and wake up with 20%. I went to bed with 78 last night, and woke up with 67, so much better

I still don't think stand by is anywhere near as good as the latest versions of Android, however.

Soldato
Interesting to see there only 23% votes for "Too expensive,, I won't be getting one." with the very high prices these days...

WOW it was exactly the same at 23% for the first iPhone X :eek:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/poll-the-official-iphone-x-thread.18792905/

Wonder how many votes there would be for "It Too expensive,, But am still getting one." :D;)

I originally voted for it being too expensive, but then when my contract came up for renewal just before black Friday, I was able to get the iPhone XS for 15 a month less than my Pixel 2 XL with 4 times as much data. Pretty crazy.

Soldato
I think going forwards, eSIMS will probably be the way most companies go. I kinda like it, my personal number is on my eSIM and I use my work SIM in the phone. If I go on holiday I'll just try and grab cheap data SIM only deals.

I still want multiple instances of apps though, for this reason.

Oh yeah, it is pretty cool and definitely convenient.

But it's still results a locked in ecosystem for the esim with plans that will likely not be the best value because Apple will want a cut of each sign up.

Plus most airports or just any phone shop in another country have places you can buy cheap 30 day or PAYG sims these days.

Soldato
Oh yeah, it is pretty cool and definitely convenient.

But it's still results a locked in ecosystem for the esim with plans that will likely not be the best value because Apple will want a cut of each sign up.

Plus most airports or just any phone shop in another country have places you can buy cheap 30 day or PAYG sims these days.

I don't know what you're meaning by a locked in plan. I just joined EE on one of their sim only deals and asked to be switched to an eSIM. I mean, sure, at the moment in the UK it's only EE and Vodafone which offer eSIMs but it's not like you are only locked into certain plans. Any plan they offer is available on eSIM/SIM. I think more networks will soon start being ready for eSIMS.

And that's the point. Main sim set to the eSIM and just grab a regular SIM when you go away

Something I'm glad to have back since moving to EE is visual voicemail. I've missed than feature since the iPhone 5

Soldato

Has anyone had any experience with these earphones? my Airpods seem to be on the way out (battery life doesn't last very long any more) and I've gotten really used to them at work. Think i may spend a little extra and get some really good sounding ones or wait and see what the new Airpods will be like.

Switching between phone, pad and watch is really nice but wouldn't mind something that sounds a bit better.

Commissario
OP
Has anyone had any experience with these earphones? my Airpods seem to be on the way out (battery life doesn't last very long any more) and I've gotten really used to them at work.
Mine did this, I went to an Apple store and first they replaced the case and then a few weeks later replaced the AirPods themselves. All out of warranty, it's EU law.

Soldato
Mine did this, I went to an Apple store and first they replaced the case and then a few weeks later replaced the AirPods themselves. All out of warranty, it's EU law.

I’ll try that on tuesday! Thanks!

Booked in for tomorrow now. What did you say to them? I feel like they will try and weasel out of it and not fix mine

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thinking of switching back to iOS, anyone moved from the iPhone X to XR?

I had the iPhone X and loved it.
I have an X and my mrs has an XR. The screen on the X is better but that's only if you're looking for the difference. The XR is a superb phone IMO.

Why did you switch away if you loved the X?

Soldato
I have an X and my mrs has an XR. The screen on the X is better but that's only if you're looking for the difference. The XR is a superb phone IMO.

Why did you switch away if you loved the X?
I go through phases where I love iOS and then I want to try Android and vice versa :p

Soldato
Sorry, only just seen your edit so I'm a bit late replying. I explained it here. How did you get on?

I should've said. I went in on Friday and they just switched it out no problem. I guess it depends on the person you get serving you, the last guy said there was no way to test them and I'd have to buy a new case.

Back
Top Bottom