• iPhone XS Max - 512Gb

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • iPhone XR - 64Gb

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • iPhone XR - 128Gb

Votes: 32 6.8%
  • iPhone XR - 512Gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 107 22.7%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 122 25.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
I go through phases where I love iOS and then I want to try Android and vice versa :p
Never quite understood people that flip flop between iOS and Android every year, especially if you have other Apple Hardware, iPad, Apple TV, Apple Watch etc. I started with iPhone's with the 6 and I'm pretty much locked in to Apple for life now, not that I mind, I much prefer the OS and the ecosystem. Everything just works together so nicely.

Soldato
Yeah same. It was the first smart phone I had (iPhone 3G) and I've had one of every generation since. I feel no need to change.

I do always eye up the competition though. They do a lot of things I really like

Soldato
Like steal your data and send it to China/Samsung/Google etc? :p

Haha, especially that!

I do think the Android side of things seems to innovate more than Apple these days. I just find that the iOS side gives a better user experience. Jack of all trades but a master of none. Really annoyed there isn't a split screen function, especially on the XS Max.

I think once a iOS 12 jailbreak is out, i may dabble back into tweaking my phone.

Soldato
I owned a 3GS, then went to Android for the Galaxy S2, then multiple Androis devices (mostly Sony), OnePlus One, then an iPhone 6S Plus to see what iOS was like, and it was just horrendous in comparison at the time. Doing everything felt so much slower compared to the android on the OnePlus. Sold it, and got an S7 Edge, which I disliked equally due to touchwiz being super duper slow, crashing all the time etc,

Went back to iPhone with the 7, and things had improved somewhat - iOS was more fluid, but Apple's customer service was severely lacking, which forced me to go back to Android with the Pixel 2 XL.

Camera was awesome, and I much preferred the logic of Android - having a back button and settings within apps made doing things on my phone quicker. I spent more time doing the things I wanted to rather than switching apps all the time for settings etc, or trying to find the back button. But after numerous quality control issues, I ended up phone less, as Google flat out told me they couldn't fix the problems I was encountering (slow charging when the phone was cold, poor screen viewing in darkness)

Bought the XS and I finally feel like iOS has solved it's identity crisis - removing the home button is the best thing to happen to it. The whole interaction between the user and device is through gestures, not switching between gestures for back one minute, trying to find the button on the UI the next. It just works.

Completely sold on the device from that stand point, but I still really hate how odd some gestures feel (Samsung are the same). It's as though you have to swipe perfectly straight to get the expected outcome during some gestures, or press perfectly on a spot - they've not built in any room for error. YouTube time scroll is a good example - it's really finicky to press at times, whereas on Android the detection zone is much bigger. Makes one handed use easier.

I like iOS - 12 is very responsive. It's quick and generally works pretty well. The gesture system on the pixel 3, after trying it on my 2, put my off buying the phone. It's simply rubbish.

So I'm left with iOS and it's strange UI choices for now, but I'll inevitably buy another Android device at some point - probably a OnePlus.

Oh and lightning earphones suck. Software doesn't ever recognise them properly.

Soldato
I have an iPhone XS on the way, for the sake of £149, it's worth going for the extra screen etc.

I have been reading people having issues with flickering on the oled screen? Can anyone comment on that?

Soldato
Never quite understood people that flip flop between iOS and Android every year, especially if you have other Apple Hardware, iPad, Apple TV, Apple Watch etc. I started with iPhone's with the 6 and I'm pretty much locked in to Apple for life now, not that I mind, I much prefer the OS and the ecosystem. Everything just works together so nicely.
I'm weird so.. :p

Soldato
I have an iPhone XS on the way, for the sake of £149, it's worth going for the extra screen etc.

I have been reading people having issues with flickering on the oled screen? Can anyone comment on that?

Not had any such issues myself, and I'm one of those people that will experience everything that can go wrong with a device....

Soldato
Not really sure why you would want split screen on a device as small as an iPhone.

You would get hardly anything on the screen exactly like the screen shot above. I mean what the hell are you meant to do with that browser window in the bottom right? It would be like going back to an iPhone 4.

Soldato

Had mine since day one. No such issue here. I heard it only effects people who are sensitive to oled screens.

Soldato
Not really sure why you would want split screen on a device as small as an iPhone.

You would get hardly anything on the screen exactly like the screen shot above. I mean what the hell are you meant to do with that browser window in the bottom right? It would be like going back to an iPhone 4.

That's an interesting point actually, if they scaled the smaller sections down to a different viewport size to fit more content in compared to the screen on the left, so it was more like a complete screen from a separate phone it would be way more usable than my screenshot above.

If the small sections above where separate phones, the content would be scaled way smaller to make it usable and readable.

Soldato
Indeed but I remember having to pinch to zoom on an iPhone 4 because the text would be too small. If you have to pinch to zoom on a 7” device something has gone wrong.

Same with YouTube on the left hand side, the video is pinned right to the top and the rest of the left side of the screen is completely wasted by recommendations.

The reality is in the above screen shot they are only using about 1/3 of the screen (video and messaging app) the rest is just pointless waste of space.

Soldato
The scale is still way off on that demo from the screenshot compared to my iPhone X resolution.

On my X the What'sApp head bubbles are natively half the height of my thumbnail, in that screenshot everything looks way bigger than it needs to be to still be easily readable and more usable. The scale doesn't look right. Maybe they're still working on the UI, which is why no demos have been made available yet.

Soldato
Got my new iPhone Xs, how do I transfer my chats from WhatsApp from my galaxy S9 to my Xs?

WhatsApp through iOS doesn't give a restore from Google drive option so is my chat history gone now? :(

Back
Top Bottom