***The Official LG Nexus 4 Thread***

Can't say I'm remotely concerned about the benchmark results. It's never anything I've paid much attention too, if I cared about them I'd be looking at the iphone. My current phone the Galaxy Nexus certainly has hardware that is inferior to the competition, yet for me it's the best phone I've used.

All the reviews state that N4 flies and performs better than benchmarks suggest, not that they're bad benchmarks, just not as good as they could be.

The only question mark I had was the camera, and it seems it's on par with the other flagship phones which is perfectly adequate.

Release date can't come soon enough for me.

Nice colour saturation on the Nexus 4 :cool:

Not soo great on the Nexus 10...

Nexus-4-10-4697_575px.jpg

I don't think Orange or Tmob have rolled out their DC-HSPDA networks yet, and the gs2 is not capable of DC-HSPDA anyway. O2 and Three are the two companies furthest along with the rollout of the standard I believe.

Nice :cool:

Bonded, in cell IPS LCD with great contrast - should be good. Proof is in the pudding though, can't wait to get my hands on one.

I'm getting good speeds on 3G EE. 7AM this morning I managed 20Mbps, was downloading an app at 2MB/s :cool: Though at peak times 6ish Mbps.

I'd be happy with 10Mbps everywhere, all the time!

that is really useful to know thank you.

Also comes down to:

- price, big difference between £450+ and £280
- nexus phone VS non nexus phone
- stock android VS touchwiz
- 16GB VS 16GB + SD slot
- LTE VS non LTE

Although iirc you rooted and flashed the Gs 2, so probably would do the same if you got the note II, meaning points 2 and 3 aren't worth worrying about :p

Last edited:
Easy question to answer, do you want a phone as large as your GF's Note II? Or do you want a smaller more traditional sized phone like the N4?

Well the Note II seemed massive and a bit ridiculous in store when she was buying it, but if I use my sgs2 after using the Note II for a few mins it feels too small:o

Yeah got cm10 on the sgs2 so it's actually running newer software than her Note II, but the Note II screen is so good..

Well the Note II seemed massive and a bit ridiculous in store when she was buying it, but if I use my sgs2 after using the Note II for a few mins it feels too small:o

Yeah got cm10 on the sgs2 so it's actually running newer software than her Note II, but the Note II screen is so good..

Well the Nexus screen is in a similar league to the Note II's so you won't be disappointed in that regard. It's also larger then the SII so should seem a bit more reasonable then your SII :)

Although iirc you rooted and flashed the Gs 2, so probably would do the same if you got the note II, meaning points 2 and 3 aren't worth worrying about :p

I root and flash my phones however Nexus phones still always get the latest versions of Android a good few months before others. Even the mod community is usually hand tied till they get hold of some leaked manufacturer sources.

So not having a user replaceable battery is a 'design issue' ?.

That article is a load of *********, everything he mentions is a standard technique used by all manufacturers

*my old company used to make 400k phones per month for Vodafone ....

Yeah it's a bit overly dramatic, lots of industry standards in there.

At this price point you can't expect leading-edge standards of material etc.

Key point to take away from the article, don't keep dropping your bloody phone and leaving it in direct sunlight for sustained periods!

Yeah it does seem to be a bit OTT, but I would be pretty concerned with this:

Spring Antenna Connections - The problem with Spring Antenna Connections or simply Spring Connections in general is: When tension is lost, signal is lost. Loss of tension between the back plate and the board can occur when a tab breaks or the back plate is warped. Warping of back plates can occur easily, and is quite frequent as devices age from stress, dropping, impact, or even a day in a hot car. You may notice some old devices such as remote controls or phones will squeak and creek when you press on them. This noise is generally attributed to warping or breakage of tabs, which would be critical for the WiFi/NFC/data/GPS/Bluetooth connections on the Nexus 4.

Just how hard of an impact are we talking about here?

Especially when this also seems to be done poorly:

Lack of impact zones - Many current devices including Samsung’s entire lineup include impact areas around the bolts and the edge of the device. This allows the device to sustain impact without altering the physical structure of the board, causing components to come lose. The absence of impact areas causes a device to be more fragile and less resistant to impacts. This also increases a device’s warpage risk, which can alter device dimensions and cause the Spring Connections to fail.

And plus as someone else said, having pretty much all glass could have a "greenhouse" effect.

BTW he isn't bothered about the battery not being removable, but more so what could happen if you ever needed to replace it yourself (not everyone wants to send their phones of for repair and be left with some crappy device for like a week or 2)

Bolted in battery - The defining line between “Operator Replaceable” and “Qualified Service Technician” is the use of tools. The Nexus 4 not only requires a screw driver, but the plastic tabs on the edges will break if removed improperly. Once those tabs are broken, signal quality will be lost from the connection with the Spring Antenna Connections.

Although thankfully problems with the battery are rare and being non removable is actually better than removable in terms of life span etc.

Also don't forgot when devices are put together cheaply there could be more issues than what he mentioned i.e. look at the nexus 7 tablets and all their issues and any other cheaply made device.

I guess will find out in the first month or 2 after users get theirs :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom