***The Official LG Nexus 4 Thread***

Soldato
My GS2 has been my favourite phone of all time, just trumping the HTC Hero, with the iphone 4 third. However, farting around with ROMs really irritates me, i need MHL for various reasons and only Stock ROMs have that feature; so you end up never getting the update.

Bring on Nexus!

Associate
My GS2 has been my favourite phone of all time, just trumping the HTC Hero, with the iphone 4 third. However, farting around with ROMs really irritates me, i need MHL for various reasons and only Stock ROMs have that feature; so you end up never getting the update.

Bring on Nexus!

I hate rom hoping too, such a false economy, bring a new feature to the phone to only lose or have broken something or things you need. Drives me mad. Would you not flash then with nexus 4 ? what does the MHL mean and do , just out of interest? ta was thinking about note 2 aswell

Soldato
I hate rom hoping too, such a false economy, bring a new feature to the phone to only lose or have broken something or things you need. Drives me mad. Would you not flash then with nexus 4 ? what does the MHL mean and do , just out of interest? ta was thinking about note 2 aswell

MHL is way of hooking the phone up to a TV or monitor.

Soldato

I wouldnt touch it and definitley not ROMs (I might change the launcher and root for backup)

Over the past month or so I have experimented with totally buying into the Google ecosystem- I have forwarded my mail from btinternet to gmail, I have set up drive, i intend to set up googl music. I have been hugely impressed. Whereas before I liked being able to do my own thing with esoteric setups, this is very polished. A nexus device should just compliment that.

edit- and i will be waiting for user reviews over the first month or so. I dont want to be an early adopter.

jelly bean might be on the GS2 soon so that will be fun

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, actually that's another thing I am REALLY looking forward to - not installing new ROM's every few days as I was with the GS2!!!

most of them where good and worth the time but you can spend a lot of time and at times it could get a little stressful being on the edge of not working 100% etc.

Associate
Yeah, actually that's another thing I am REALLY looking forward to - not installing new ROM's every few days as I was with the GS2!!!

most of them where good and worth the time but you can spend a lot of time and at times it could get a little stressful being on the edge of not working 100% etc.

So true... infact my nexus 7 runs so nice I dare not do anything with that and If I go N4 way I probably will feel the same...also the updates coming straight from google will probably satisfy the ROM/Updating habit anyway....

Cant help but assume the phone is going to get better and better with time, even my SGS 2 with 4.1.2 jellybean on it runs better than it ever did and its 18 months old..and obviously not even a pure google phone...

Was gonna ask ...with the buttons being in the screen on N4 as it were, will that reduce the actual real size of the 4.7" screen? Will it still be bigger than SGS 2's screen currently? I do need a bit bigger screen at least, thanks.

Soldato
For me ROMs are about improving battery life and speed (particularly in the early days when android was not utilising the full potential of dual cores and gpus).

Nexus devices should be free of bloat with an operating system designed specifically for their hardware. No need for ROMs! If there is a feature i need, there should be an app available.

Whereas before I would choose my phone based on the software provided with top quality hardware, this time is is vica versa and my evaluation will come once the hardware has been released for a few days.

I am also thinking of using these as enterprise devices (10 users), so I cannot afford to get flakey hardware.

Soldato
Same here, there was a time when I couldnt go without a funky as rom that promised X speed improvements, you had to do all this long SD card partition and changing to EXT4 to get the best speed, then doing other things.

With a Nexus device and 4.2 I don't need the hotkey in the notification area as it has that so the only thing I would really need is the expanded volume. I might change some Kernels but I basically stick with stock Google, as that's what I mainly put on my S2 anyways. A lot of the battery life and speed comes from Kernels and moving junk, so since we have no junk ;). But yes I look forward to a phone which is similar to something like the iPhone I had were apart from jailbreak and a few minor changes I didn't need to do much (I did change themes often as iOS is a turd in software design deparment).

Associate
Can anyone tell me if those sim card cutters are any good.
I have a normal size sim card at the minute and I am wondering whether to cut it down or order a new card.
Thank you.

Associate
Can anyone tell me if those sim card cutters are any good.
I have a normal size sim card at the minute and I am wondering whether to cut it down or order a new card.
Thank you.

I got myself a cutter for mine, had a practice on an old Orange sim and while it cut a little close to the actual SIM itself, it worked fine.

Associate
Cool thanks for that - I'm with 3 on a rolling monthly sim at the moment but it is a regular size and not a micro as the Nexus4 needs.

I'd like to change over to 12 month contract with 3 and get a micro sim or use a cutter to chop it down, not sure which way to go at the moment...

Last edited:
Soldato
SIM cutters are ace, but a small warning - make sure you don't angle the cutter as you press down, or the SIM can slip as you cut it, and you'll end up destroying it. Always keep your eye on the little "window" and make sure the entire area of the gold contact patch is visible - then make your cut quick and hard (TWSS :p).

Associate
An addition to Sumanji's warning - I just had a look at an old T-Mobile SIM of mine and one side of the SIM actually extends right to the edge. I couldn't manouvre it in the cutter in any way that would not cut off the bottom of the actual SIM and possibly destroy it in the process.

Most SIMs should be fine, but take a look at your SIM to make sure there's space around it.

Last edited:
Soldato
An addition to Sumanji's warning - I just had a look at an old T-Mobile SIM of mine and one side of the SIM actually extends right to the edge. I couldn't manouvre it in the cutter in any way that would not cut off the bottom of the actual SIM and probably destroy it in the process.

Most SIMs should be fine, but take a look at your SIM to make sure there's space around it.

There's only one way a sim card goes into a sim cutter - if it cuts a bit of the chip so be it...it will still work. The SIM just needs to be the right size and line up with the 3 pins in the phone, the rest is junk.

Back
Top Bottom