Poll: *** The official Mac Studio thread (it has Apple Silicon, lots of ports and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy an Apple Studio?

• Total voters
So the fan control apps (TG Pro, MacsFanControl, etc) can't set it lower than the default curve?

On the iMac (2019 was the last) you used to be able to, but the last one with the T2 (2020), no bueno. I had both 2019 and 2020.

It seems variable, some people are saying they can hear the fans, others are saying it's basically inaudible. It does seem consistent that the Max is slightly less silent than the Ultra though.

Ultra has a denser heatsink, so that could be it. Also means you can probably DIY the Max cooling into something better with better TIM, even using aftermarket heatsinks if one becomes available. With 3m thunderbolt cables should be alright to keep it at a distance.

Ultra has a denser heatsink, so that could be it.
Aye, reports saying that it's copper on the Ultra and aluminium on the Max. When I get mine, if I put it on the desk and it's noisy, I'll just mount it under the desk so it's away from me. Having said that, I really don't think it's going to be an issue.

Also means you can probably DIY the Max cooling into something better with better TIM, even using aftermarket heatsinks if one becomes available.
Having seen what's involved with the strip down, I'll be very surprised if anyone does that but yes, it's a good warranty busting option :)

MacRumours losing their **** over fan noise.

Screenshot-2022-03-21-at-15-19-29.png

MacRumours losing their **** over fan noise.

Screenshot-2022-03-21-at-15-19-29.png

Can't lie, I'm slightly worried. Apple's thermal designs are not great, and the aluminium heatsink isn't inspiring. Was thinking of 3D printing an airway to connect to the exhaust which fits one or two Noctua 140mm fan and removing the Apple fans entirely. Maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself, I shall wait and see how loud it is when it sits on my desk first.

Some users state that they do not see temps exceeding 60c, the cooling used far exceeds what is needed. I'm not worried about how loud, but the actual sound is like the majority of tiny fans.

Interesting.

TLDW:

He took two Mac Studios, took the SSD from one and inserted it into the second port of the other, it did not work.
He took one Mac Studio, took the SSD from one port and inserted it into the second port, it did not work.
He swapped the SSDs of the two Mac Studios, they did not work.

Yeah, as bad as it gets in terms of upgradeability. This nonsense has to stop. Imagine being the engineers who specifically developed the system that detects the SSD swap and stops the mac from working and thinking they're delivering actual value to customers.

How soon before delivery does the Apple Store app on your iPhone update to preparing to ship and the Mac Studio actually being delivered? I have a delivery range between the 24th and 31st of March and was kinda hoping to see that the Mac Studio had shipped at this point but it still says processing.

How soon before delivery does the Apple Store app on your iPhone update to preparing to ship and the Mac Studio actually being delivered? I have a delivery range between the 24th and 31st of March and was kinda hoping to see that the Mac Studio had shipped at this point but it still says processing.

Goes to preparing for shipment <48h before actual shipment. Could be minutes, could be a couple of days.

Can't lie, I'm slightly worried. Apple's thermal designs are not great, and the aluminium heatsink isn't inspiring. Was thinking of 3D printing an airway to connect to the exhaust which fits one or two Noctua 140mm fan and removing the Apple fans entirely. Maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself, I shall wait and see how loud it is when it sits on my desk first.

I got my Mac Studio with the Max CPU last Friday. I've only had it on my desk to set it up but it was sitting right next to me and I didn't hear a murmur. Obviously I wasn't trying to run Skynet whilst 3D rendering Toy Story 6 but still... It's been put away till my Studio Monitor arrives so can't double check.

I got my Mac Studio with the Max CPU last Friday. I've only had it on my desk to set it up but it was sitting right next to me and I didn't hear a murmur. Obviously I wasn't trying to run Skynet whilst 3D rendering Toy Story 6 but still... It's been put away till my Studio Monitor arrives so can't double check.

Thanks. Reading up peoples comments and some reviewers it seems like the concerns are massively overblown, typical for macrumours or /r/Apple audience. These are quieter than 27" iMacs at both idle and full load.

What should concern you is the M1 Max is power limited. May just get the Macbook Pro now, to be honest. They are the same aside from the chassis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI3iJFPQca0&feature=emb_logo

No it's not. The guy is just clueless and has no idea what he's talking about. You don't run Cinebench on CPU and then 3DMark to stress the GPU and get surprised it doesn't utilise the full GPU. It doesn't mean it's power limited, This is simply CPU being the bottleneck in 3DMark due to being busy with Cinebench.

Even the most basic reviewer/benchmarked should understand these things. These Apple-focused YouTubers are truly clueless. RIP tech journalism, this is what we're left with.

Interesting.

TLDW:

He took two Mac Studios, took the SSD from one and inserted it into the second port of the other, it did not work.
He took one Mac Studio, took the SSD from one port and inserted it into the second port, it did not work.
He swapped the SSDs of the two Mac Studios, they did not work.

Yeah, as bad as it gets in terms of upgradeability. This nonsense has to stop. Imagine being the engineers who specifically developed the system that detects the SSD swap and stops the mac from working and thinking they're delivering actual value to customers.

Turns out, this was also incorrect. Shame on me for trusting another YouTuber and not doing my own research.

Storage is in fact swappable.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...ble-ssds-and-why-you-cant-just-swap-them-out/

Those storage slots are just PCIe interfaces to pure NAND. The controller, cache and DRAM are on the M1 chips. You don't swap NAND in a SSD and expect it to work, that's not how it works. It will need to be wiped and the cache rebuilt. The lights on the Mac when the guy did this was telling him to go into DFU mode (recovery mode) to do exactly that. The guy was just clueless.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom