Poll: *** The official Mac Studio thread (it has the M1 Max, the M1 Ultra and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy an Apple Studio?

• Total voters
Soldato
Hi all, hope you can help with a little question...

I picked up a used Mac Studio last week to replace my iMac, but am finding it a bit noisy. There's a fairly constant coil whine type sound, and a deeper whirring - presumably the fan. This is at idle at desktop so not under load.

Is this normal? I have the option of returning it if need be.

Thanks

You can use Macs Fan Control (free version would do) and set fan speed to 1100 (instead of 1300). Kills all noises.

Commissario
OP
Yeah, it's not fan noise. When I got mine, I had it mounted on the desk and I could just about hear the fans, even at the default speed. I did slow them down to test but even the sound I could hear didn't bother me. I've now moved it to an under desk mount and to all intents and purposes, it's utterly silent.

Some people who are getting this whistling that's around 2.4kHz are solving it by putting some tape over some of the holes on the back which suggests it's airflow, rather than actual coil whine.

But that's not a solution really, yes, I'd return it.

Man of Honour
I will buy a Blu-ray / DVD / CD drive so I can rip my music and film collection. It seems you can rip 4k Blu-rays as well, but I'll need to buy an external SSD.

I'm guessing any drive will work?
I have an LG Blu Ray external drive. It's in the loft though, I can download films faster than it takes me to rip, and someone else has done the hard work for you of remuxing the best audio track onto it.

Soldato
I have an LG Blu Ray external drive. It's in the loft though, I can download films faster than it takes me to rip, and someone else has done the hard work for you of remuxing the best audio track onto it.
Ah, thank you. It has been a while since I've done something like that. Plus, some of the films and music I want are pretty rare.

Soldato
Figured I’d use this thread instead of creating new one, anyone have any recommendations for a decent webcam which has software compatiable with the M1 chips?

Reading reviews of various webcams and people are commenting on buggy or no software support for them. Would be great if someone could recommend one who acutally owns a decent quality one. Currently have a 720p one which is showing its age :p

Soldato
Figured I’d use this thread instead of creating new one, anyone have any recommendations for a decent webcam which has software compatiable with the M1 chips?

Reading reviews of various webcams and people are commenting on buggy or no software support for them. Would be great if someone could recommend one who acutally owns a decent quality one. Currently have a 720p one which is showing its age :p
I got a Logitech C920 years ago. Works perfectly for Zoom / Microsoft Teams and streaming on Twitch with OBS Studio.

Man of Honour

I use a Logitech Brio 4k thing, works perfectly and very good IQ.

Soldato
I need an external USB-C SSD with either USB4 or Thunder Bolt 4 with at least 2TB of space. Are there any recommended brands?

Another option is to buy an M2 enclosure and then buy your own M2 drive. That's what I do for all my external SSDs. They'll be about £25 if you want 10Gbps USB but if you want thunderbolt they'll be £100 or more.

Commissario
OP
Another option is to buy an M2 enclosure and then buy your own M2 drive. That's what I do for all my external SSDs. They'll be about £25 if you want 10Gbps USB but if you want thunderbolt they'll be £100 or more.
I did that recently.

6KiUPqG.jpg

As you can see, I returned them. Performance was utterly awful. Carbon Copy Cloner was estimating 27 hours for the initial backup. I tried different ports and cables on my Studio.

Back
Top Bottom