*** The Official macOS Mojave thread ***

Commissario
Launch day for macOS Mojave is tomorrow, 24/09/2018

sCYPmoD.jpeg

It has the new 'dark mode' which people are getting excited about. I have to say that I'm not particularly interested in that but I'll give it a try. The dynamic desktop looks interesting (but possibly just a gimmick). Stacks is irrelevant to me as my desktop is empty for 99% of the time.

I'm interested in the News app - But then I thought the same with the News app when it hit iOS and I never use it.

This seems more of a point upgrade than a full new OS from what I've read and I'm looking forward to the Ars Technica detailed review that normally appears on release.

fez

fez

Caporegime
There has been a bit of debate on developer forums about whether this will be delayed or not. The last beta was the 12th Sep and had most of the beta stuff removed that happens when the GM candidate is released to beta testers but there are still things in there that suggest its a beta. Its a bit confusing. Overall reports say its good though.

Personally, iOS12 has been solid and stable from b2 and its made a big difference to the performance of my iPhone 7. I'm hoping Mojave is similar in performance. Its been a good idea taking a year out of pushing features to focus on performance IMO.

Commissario
OP
Excellent, I guess it just takes a few minutes for the store to update because it wasn't there when I did a search. It's not the fastest download in the world but that's not too surprising. I'll be doing my usual trick of creating a bootable USB stick before I actually do the upgrade.

Commissario
OP
So an upgrade will not be much more “problematic “ than a fresh install?
Not as far as I'm aware. Quite a few years ago I did a rebuild on my old iMac simply because I wanted to try it and there was no difference in performance that I could notice from a machine that had been through five or six major OS updates.

One thing to remember, when the point updates come out, always download the combo update rather than the delta. The combo is just a more belt and braces way to update. However the .1 update is never a combo, by definition, it can't be ;)

Back
Top Bottom