*** The official macOS Sequoia thread ***

So it appears that USB sticks aren't working with Sequoia.
If the external drive is shown under Disk Utility but is greyed out, then you might be able to mount it using diskutil, ie -
Code:
diskutil list
diskutil mountDisk "disk identifier here without quotes"

You can also see if it's flagged the 'Allow accessories to connect' prompt within Setting > Security & Privacy (https://support.apple.com/en-us/102282) and enable it if so. Saw this back with the Sonoma release and a particular models of external drive (was a Seagate, iirc) we had in the office.

Edit - Thinking out loud, it could be a power issue with the USBx port; only way to check is to use a powered USB hub though.

Last edited:
Ok managed to sort it.. but in searching it appears others have issues too. Also had issues with usb connection for a walkman too.

Ok managed to sort it.. but in searching it appears others have issues too. Also had issues with usb connection for a walkman too.
What was the solution? Just in case someone else stumbles on these posts...

Edit - One of the techs at work mentioned there were issues around power draw on USB3 ports, which caused a some issues with external drives when Sonoma was released; so i wonder if it's the same issue. As you say, there's a few posts dotted around the Apple forums and Reddit with others having the same problem so you're definitely not alone.

Last edited:
It was something todo with the flash drive itself I think, I ended up with a different drive and reformatting. It's formatted FAT to transfer data from an oscilloscope to the computer.

It just didn't seem to even acknowledge the drive presence (even in diskutil). It seemed that others had issues (FAT flash drives) but no idea why as non of them could provide any diagnostics except "it worked before" but I'm now putting that down to the drive. Funny I never had an issue before with Somona but then.. Somona doesn't work either.. so either there was a USB patch or the drive died.

I'd expect some USB activity (the drive powers itself) but doesn't seem to hand shake USB properly to get on the USB tree. I've written some low level USB Audio class 2 drivers for the Mac before and the Mac USB a bit specific what I will support and not support.

The walkman has a security hole as the software requires you to allow accessibility .. which enables control of the computer.. so that's only on the disposable free MB laptop. It actually required a restart so I'm concerned it's made some driver changes.

Removed Logitech+ or that Options software from my Mac Mini as it just hasn't been working these past few days. Upon firing up the app, which I rarely do it asks me to enable it in the Login options however there is no entry there to enable. I think it just needs updating.

It is odd because its been working fine since upgrading to Seqouia. Only since yesterday I noticed my side wheel on my MX Master not controlling the OS Volume which it is set to.

Back
Top Bottom