*** The official macOS Sequoia thread ***

mulitple ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR since updating, slow buggy videos on iplayer, youtube.... each OS update is worse until 2 or 3 updates later
Sounds a bit like the firewall/network issues around secure connections; if you have them, try disabling the built-in firewall and/or disabling or completely removing network filters and VPN connections.

Apple has 'mullered' the network stack in Sequoia and it's causing enough issues that the media is starting to pick it up - https://www.theregister.com/2024/09/23/security_in_brief/, https://hackread.com/apples-macos-sequoia-update-breaks-security-tools/, https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...breaks-networking-for-vpn-antivirus-software/.

No doubt someone will be along soon to say "i haven't got any issues" or that it's absolutely fine :cry:

Last edited:
Sounds a bit like the firewall/network issues around secure connections; if you have them, try disabling the built-in firewall and/or disabling or completely removing network filters and VPN connections.

Apple has 'mullered' the network stack in Sequoia and it's causing enough issues that the media is starting to pick it up - https://www.theregister.com/2024/09/23/security_in_brief/, https://hackread.com/apples-macos-sequoia-update-breaks-security-tools/, https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...breaks-networking-for-vpn-antivirus-software/.

No doubt someone will be along soon to say "i haven't got any issues" or that it's absolutely fine :cry:
Most people don't run any kind of filtering/security software, and those that do should really know to consult with the vendors about supportability prior to upgrade. Most of what's been mentioned applies mostly to corporate environments/managed Macs from what I see, not typical home use. I guess that's why my work have held out on the update though.

Always wait for the 3rd version before being a beta tester, lol

"This was reported to Apple before [Sequoia] released (by multiple people, to multiple teams/orgs within Apple) so Apple 100% knew about this, and shipped macOS 15 anyways," Wardle posted.

Last edited:
Most people don't run any kind of filtering/security software, and those that do should really know to consult with the vendors about supportability prior to upgrade. Most of what's been mentioned applies mostly to corporate environments/managed Macs from what I see, not typical home use. I guess that's why my work have held out on the update though.
It's a bit more widespread than that given the bug(s) in the stack affect it's own firewall as well as other related networking apps like VPN software.
It's still, allegedly, borked in the 15.1 beta but Apple have now acknowledged (to beta testers) this isn't intentional so that's at least something but let's be honest, Apple shouldn't have released it like this especially as it's now transpiring they were already aware of the issues during beta testing.

Always wait for the 3rd version before being a beta tester, lol

"This was reported to Apple before [Sequoia] released (by multiple people, to multiple teams/orgs within Apple) so Apple 100% knew about this, and shipped macOS 15 anyways," Wardle posted.
Apple's QA of releases has been pee poor for a while but i think a lot of this stems from Apple's current, imo, daft mindset of having to have a yearly major release which seems to be resulting in their developers rushing and failing, two years in a row i believe, to add headline features in with the initial release whilst letting reasonably sized bugs through.
I think they would do a lot better if they went back to the early OSX era of having a major released every few years or whenever it was ready.

Last edited:
anyone have password issues??

since turning on "login with Apple Watch"..my Mac opens up to no password or login, even when the watch isn't on???

It's a bit more widespread than that given the bug(s) in the stack affect it's own firewall as well as other related networking apps like VPN software.
It's still, allegedly, borked in the 15.1 beta but Apple have now acknowledged (to beta testers) this isn't intentional so that's at least something but let's be honest, Apple shouldn't have released it like this especially as it's now transpiring they were already aware of the issues during beta testing.

Apple's QA of releases has been pee poor for a while but i think a lot of this stems from Apple's current, imo, daft mindset of having to have a yearly major release which seems to be resulting in their developers rushing and failing, two years in a row i believe, to add headline features in with the initial release whilst letting reasonably sized bugs through.
I think they would do a lot better if they went back to the early OSX era of having a major released every few years or whenever it was ready.
15.0.1 has now been released and specifically mentions in the release notes "Improves compatibility with third-party security software"...if anyone here was experiencing anything like this, has this fixed it for you?

Well, the iPhone mirroring is great. I only use my Mac as a laptop atm so not had chance to use the window resizing that Windows has nailed for well over a decade.

Besides that, I know there are new features but I can’t notice anything different.

Upgraded MacBook Pro m1 yesterday, all fine so far, can't tell the difference other than the settings menu changes, which I must say I do like the layout a lot better, such as the settings>iCloud layout.

I'm tempted to reinstall macOS from scratch. I've been using this Mac Studio since 2022 and over time it has slowly built up a bunch of crap and I feel like starting again will free up a bit of SSD space (essential when you only have 512GB total). Not sure though. I doubt a new Mac Studio will be released before June 2025 so I need to make sure I'm fine until then.

What would you do?

I'm tempted to reinstall macOS from scratch. I've been using this Mac Studio since 2022 and over time it has slowly built up a bunch of crap and I feel like starting again will free up a bit of SSD space (essential when you only have 512GB total). Not sure though. I doubt a new Mac Studio will be released before June 2025 so I need to make sure I'm fine until then.

What would you do?
'Nuke and pave'; MacOS (like other OS's) leaves a lot of rubbish around, especially when you remove an app, so it's worth doing once in a while. Although whether you'll notice the difference other than (the marginal) storage increase...

Last edited:
Spotted one downgrade, if I go to save a file, I can't now drag and drop folders into my favourites. This is really ******* annoying.

Also, the 'snap' to screen region is really poorly implemented, bettersnaptool is still way better.

'Nuke and pave'; MacOS (like other OS's) leaves a lot of rubbish around, especially when you remove an app, so it's worth doing once in a while. Although whether you'll notice the difference other than (the marginal) storage increase...
Very minimal stuff, generally. Preference files, that’s about it. It’s not like a bloated windows registry where stuff hanging around impacts system performance.

I've never felt the need to do a wipe and reinstall, and the times when Iv'e done it just because, I've noticed no difference.
This.

Very minimal stuff, generally. Preference files, that’s about it. It’s not like a bloated windows registry where stuff hanging around impacts system performance.
It really depends on the app as something like MAMP or MS Office litters MacOS with crud and you'll find caches, logs, sandbox and various app support data even after you've remove it. Using a utility like App Cleaner massively helps things but it isn't perfect 100% unfortunately.

And other than using storage, the performance impact of old entries within the registry on Windows is negligible especially on modern systems. Hence why running a registry cleaner, like CCleaner, won't make much difference other than gaining a tiny fraction of storage.
And FYI, apps under Window do the same and litter it with crud which you'll find long after you've uninstalled them.

P.s - no need to get precious over an OS and turn this into a MacOS vs Windows slinging match; i nuke and pave any OS after a few years and i would have given the same answer if someone was asking about Windows :)

Back
Top Bottom