***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Associate
If it's giving you cramp then I suggest you're gripping it too tight (wahey). Like I said, release the whole handle from your hands and JUST hold it between the tips of your index finger and your thumb. Hold it out in front of you and balance it there. This is how you should hold it to your face, without pincer pressure, just let it fall against your face.

I find resting the base of the handle on my pinky helps massively too with heavy brass DE razors like the EJ89.

Shawrey

Associate
@Yadda It's here. Will be trying it tomorrow night. It looks very nice indeed. Loads of backbone, which is what my old brush has none of. :D
Under 2 weeks from Canada is not that bad really.
Cheers.

Soldato
@Yadda It's here. Will be trying it tomorrow night. It looks very nice indeed. Loads of backbone, which is what my old brush has none of. :D
Under 2 weeks from Canada is not that bad really.
Cheers.

That was quick, great stuff. Bear in mind that you might take some time to adjust to it, especially how wet to make it before loading up - it's a bigger knot than your old brush and synthetic fibres are non-porous. You'll get there in no time though, it's a great brush.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Soldato
Been using the EJ89 with supermax and finally got to the last blade.

Ordered about 100 blades - 70 in the sample pack, 20 feather hi-stainless and 10 muehule. Also a metal waste blade container.

Will see how I get on.. should last me for a while!

Soldato
OP
Been using the EJ89 with supermax and finally got to the last blade.

Ordered about 100 blades - 70 in the sample pack, 20 feather hi-stainless and 10 muehule. Also a metal waste blade container.

Will see how I get on.. should last me for a while!
Once you're on the feathers you won't use anything else.

Soldato
Once you're on the feathers you won't use anything else.

I've been working through my SuperMax (India) 10 blades. Being the first DE blades I have got used to them, I get about 3-4 shaves but only 1-2 shaves seem to be pristine cuts and require against the grain to get really close. With this razor I found that a Boots sold shaving gel (B men of something like that) worked best with a good glide and no irritation (unlike W/S soap with the same) but for the last two weeks it's been a W/S soap in a pot..

I received the well packaged set, so I now have enough for the next two years:
5 Treet Platinum (Pakistan)
5 Gillette Silver Blue (USA)
5 Gillette Platinum (Russia)
5 Gillette 7'oclock sharp edge (Russia)
5 Astra Superior Platinum (UK, made by Gillette)
5 Big Ben Super stainless
10 Persona Platinum
10 Super Plus Platinum (Israel)
10 Derby Extra Stainless
10 Wilkinson Sword (black pack)
10 Muhle Stainless
30 Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum

Tried a Feather this morning. Using the same W/S soap and EJ brush. Hard to describe but felt very different, cut through the 4 days of growth really well, no need to go against the grain to get a very close cut. With the W/S soap - no irritation.

Initial impression better than the SuperMax with fresh blade cuts. Will see how the next cuts go.

Soldato
I find I'll get 3 shaves with a Feather blade and only 2 with other blades, once I've finished my Personna MediPreps I'll only buy Feathers.

Soldato
Looking for something similar to the Harry’s 5 blade razor.

Don’t shave enough now to warrant even the cheapest subscription and Harry’s don’t ship to France anyway.

Replacement Harry’s blades are available on Amazon, but they want silly money for them.

Query for you fellas here.

I'm a lazy ol' bugger and I wet-shave in the shower. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone and all that.

I recently inherited a Philips 5000 Series (S5530) electric razor, a continuation of the old Philishave range. Still looks similar with 3 razor heads. It's advertised as both wet and dry shave. Can this be taken into the shower or will it short it? If not in the shower, how do you wet-shave with it?

Associate
Query for you fellas here.

I'm a lazy ol' bugger and I wet-shave in the shower. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone and all that.

I recently inherited a Philips 5000 Series (S5530) electric razor, a continuation of the old Philishave range. Still looks similar with 3 razor heads. It's advertised as both wet and dry shave. Can this be taken into the shower or will it short it? If not in the shower, how do you wet-shave with it?

If it's a wet and dry shaver you can take it into the shower no issues (works best with foam/gel/lather to help the head glide over the face). Just make sure you dry it thoroughly and occasionally drop a spot of clipper lubricant or spray a bit of clippercide on it.

Shawrey

Associate
I am currently waiting for all my kit to arrive which is the Edwin Jagger DE89 and lathering bowl (bowl has arrived), ToBS Sandlewood shaving cream (2 tubs of 150ml for £18) and a new badger brush (also Edwin Jagger). Fairly expensive starter set but from I can tell it should be pretty good and should last me the rest of my life (except for buying blades and shaving cream).

Finally gotten round to looking at this thread again and I can't believe it has been 12 months since I switched to DE shaving! Where has the time gone! I am in love with my kit though it was expensive to begin with but the money I have saved over the last 12 months just in blades alone has made it worth it by a mile!

Stoner81.

Associate
Yes, DE shaving is a money saver and does a better job.

You might next time look at the quality synthetic brushes now available - they are excellent.

Are you in UK, Stoner? Your use of the past participle "gotten" suggests you may be North American, but if in UK Google "Connaught Shaving" for a mail order firm offering good prices. I have used them for years but have no personal connection with them.

Back
Top Bottom