***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
Not sure if this is the right place but my son it turn 13 years old this May and is starting to get hair growth about his top lip, now I’m 43 and just use a beard trimmer so not wet shaved in years but I remember when I did it used to cause spot n pimples, same with an electric razor, is there anything model day I can use with him or just a straight wet shave!

I remember being embarrassed when I started to shave as I had a dark patch above my top lip but it’s a right of passage I suppose

Any advice would be great!

Associate
Not sure if this is the right place but my son it turn 13 years old this May and is starting to get hair growth about his top lip, now I’m 43 and just use a beard trimmer so not wet shaved in years but I remember when I did it used to cause spot n pimples, same with an electric razor, is there anything model day I can use with him or just a straight wet shave!

I remember being embarrassed when I started to shave as I had a dark patch above my top lip but it’s a right of passage I suppose

My dad bought my something similar to this when I was that age...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-El...FZZE8ZJBEWW&psc=1&refRID=SVE7TA3AQFZZE8ZJBEWW

Shawrey

Associate
Thanks, it’s an option I suppose anything touching his skin will irritate, his complexion is fairly good so hopefully it won’t get worse

Ensure he learns good face prep - even for an electric razor shave. Your son wont want to be shaving unclean and/or oily skin.

General rule of thumb; Hot Towel, Facial cleanser/exfoliate, Hot Towel again, pat dry, shave and moisturise. Perhaps introduce him to some post shave fragrance too - make him feel like a proper man!

Shawrey

Associate
Ensure he learns good face prep - even for an electric razor shave. Your son wont want to be shaving unclean and/or oily skin.

General rule of thumb; Hot Towel, Facial cleanser/exfoliate, Hot Towel again, pat dry, shave and moisturise. Perhaps introduce him to some post shave fragrance too - make him feel like a proper man!

Shawrey

Bit much for a teenager Oo

Soldato
OP

DE razor, it will prevent pimples.

Soldato
Spring is in the air! Anyone else dusting off their summer shaving soaps?

I dug out my tub of Nanny's Silly Soaps Citrus Zinger this morning. Roll on summer!

Associate
My last brush was THIS one. It has lasted a good 3 years.
However the whole bristle assemble keeps coming out of the handle and it not producing the great lather like it once did.
Been looking at some Edwin Jagger EJ87 brushes HERE
Has anyone got one that can comment or recommend something similar please.
Thank you.

Soldato
My last brush was THIS one. It has lasted a good 3 years.
However the whole bristle assemble keeps coming out of the handle and it not producing the great lather like it once did.
Been looking at some Edwin Jagger EJ87 brushes HERE
Has anyone got one that can comment or recommend something similar please.
Thank you.

I have a similar synthetic brush. Mine has "Plissoft" bristles which are quite highly regarded. The tips are really soft but the knot still offers good backbone. Very reasonably priced too, and it's still going strong after 3 years.

The one below has exactly the same knot (bristle type and size) as mine, but mine has the larger "barbershop" handle. A bit of a bargain at $10 and shipping was quite reasonable too IIRC.

https://www.italianbarber.com/colle...ts/razorock-plissoft-synthetic-shaving-brush?

Edit:

Here's a review.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a similar synthetic brush. Mine has "Plissoft" bristles which are quite highly regarded. The tips are really soft but the knot still offers good backbone. Very reasonably priced too, and it's still going strong after 3 years.

The one below has exactly the same knot (bristle type and size) as mine, but mine has the larger "barbershop" handle. A bit of a bargain at $10 and shipping was quite reasonable too IIRC.

https://www.italianbarber.com/colle...ts/razorock-plissoft-synthetic-shaving-brush?

Edit:

Here's a review.

For that price, I have chanced it and ordered one cheers. £19.85 delivered to UK. Worth a punt I think. If it's no good it can go in the collection :D

Soldato
For that price, I have chanced it and ordered one cheers. £19.85 delivered to UK. Worth a punt I think. If it's no good it can go in the collection :D

Good stuff. I'm sure they had a cheaper shipping option when I bought mine but even so, it's a very good brush for that price. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Associate
Good stuff. I'm sure they had a cheaper shipping option when I bought mine but even so, it's a very good brush for that price. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Thank you matey. I will let you know when it arrives and I have tried it. I certainly won't miss that new badger brush scent :D
That was the only shipping they offered at checkout $14.99 which was more than the brush :D I'm not fussed anyway. Good overall price if it turns out to be a good product.

Back
Top Bottom