****The Official Mountain Bicycle Gallery Thread****

Associate
mmmbop.jpg

New to me Ragley Mmmbop. Loving it! :)

Caporegime
TdlnqiS.jpg
Kinda annoyed .

750 watt battery, but came out the shop with 1 bar charge... barely managed to get home on eco...
They saw when I ordered the bike I'm at the max height limit for the frame, but handed it over with the dropper fully inserted and no extra inches on the cable so it as like buy a new cable or live with it...

I never had a dropper post before so didn't realise I had to look out for that, I just assumed I could alter it at home.... so I need to buy a new inner wire and fix it my self properly....
you'd think the shop would have the dropper stuck in at least at the half way mark and leave inches on the wire so they can get it right at the hand over....

the riding position was like that squat legs... not much fun... I'll fix the seat perma to my inside leg length until I can pick up a wire I guess

The only adjusting they did for me was the shocks
super expensive bike IMO but they can't make sure it's "good to go" wouldn't buy from them again.
bike seems awesome though, stuck it in turbo for the last hill near my house and flew up it with ez

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
@arknor I would suggest talking to the bike shop and mentioning these things. I assume it was brand new when you bought it?

Not going to lie, I find it hard to support local bike shops because they simply aren't that good in my experience. I can fix anything on a bike myself which doesn't help but far too many of them in the UK aren't run by people with a passion for bikes. You are a customer first and foremost and extracting money is all they care about.

Sounds like in the US its far more common to form a good relationship with your local shop than it is here.

Caporegime
@arknor I would suggest talking to the bike shop and mentioning these things. I assume it was brand new when you bought it?

Not going to lie, I find it hard to support local bike shops because they simply aren't that good in my experience. I can fix anything on a bike myself which doesn't help but far too many of them in the UK aren't run by people with a passion for bikes. You are a customer first and foremost and extracting money is all they care about.

Sounds like in the US its far more common to form a good relationship with your local shop than it is here.

Found most lbs useless sadly, and extremely over priced.

Droppers being slammed is a bit of a strange thing anyway never seen the need, normally done for astehtics.

I'd take it back and get them to put a new cable in though.

Caporegime

yea brand new and the best part of 6k which is cheap for an EMTB but still an incredibly expensive bike in most peoples minds.... you'd think they would do a bespoke setup on collection instead of making changes that are impossible to alter.

The dropper post had the tag on it with the QR code for the instructions on altering it, the guy even mentioned that but said you probably won't need to alter it... he didn't mention I'd need a whole new inner wire to actually raise it.
The frame is for 5"10 - 6ft2 and I'm like 6"3 , the dropper only has 170mm travel so obviously unless your 5"10 your going to need at least a few inches showing.

I ordered an inner wire from amazon and some cheap wire cutters that get delivered Monday
Found most lbs useless sadly, and extremely over priced.
yea pretty much every job/service on price lists is usually 2-3x what it would cost for some good quality tools to just do it yourself, and you only need to buy the tools once so...
maybe some people think "time is money" but if it's time you wouldn't spend working anyway...

I just plonk my bikes in the front room and do work on them whilst I'm watching a movie or football match.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
yea brand new and the best part of 6k which is cheap for an EMTB but still an incredibly expensive bike in most peoples minds.... you'd think they would do a bespoke setup on collection instead of making changes that are impossible to alter.

That’s not cheap for an eBike at all. That’s bang in the range of very very nice e-bikes. I would expect the shop to be fawning over me if I am dropping that much.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
3d2Er2q.jpeg

Well as I now live 6 miles from work I thought I could try this biking lark. Nukeproof Scout 290 Comp in XL. It actually turned up damaged, annoyingly. Seemed ParcelFarce were oblivious to the "This way up" markings all over the box so it's been upside down and dragged which ground the stem a little bit, so much so one of the securing bolts had worn down and was useless. Quick email to where I bought it from and they sent out an upgraded part straight away which turned up this afternoon. Fitted that and gave her a test run to work and back - great fun!

Caporegime
That’s not cheap for an eBike at all. That’s bang in the range of very very nice e-bikes. I would expect the shop to be fawning over me if I am dropping that much.
Yea, it's a very very nice bike don't get me wrong.
But for an EMTB Enduro bike it seems to be pretty much Entry Level.
They seem to start around 4.5-5k for a full fat motor and the most expensive EMTB go all the way up to mind blowing £10k+

How large these bikes are is crazy too, massive wheelbase compared to my gravel bike and the handle bars like twice the width :D, I'm only ever going to use it on waggon ways and hiking paths too so massively overkill for my needs lol... I saw hard tails are the same weight anyway so why not just go for a full suspension monster :D

Have you seen the new Giant?
only 15,000USD :cry:

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yea, it's a very very nice bike don't get me wrong.
But for an EMTB Enduro bike it seems to be pretty much Entry Level.
They seem to start around 4.5-5k for a full fat motor and the most expensive EMTB go all the way up to mind blowing £10k+

How large these bikes are is crazy too, massive wheelbase compared to my gravel bike and the handle bars like twice the width :D, I'm only ever going to use it on waggon ways and hiking paths too so massively overkill for my needs lol... I saw hard tails are the same weight anyway so why not just go for a full suspension monster :D

Have you seen the new Giant?
only 15,000USD :cry:

The thing with mountain bikes, like most things is that once you hit the point of diminishing returns you can keep going for a long time price wise without adding much.

The £10k ebikes just have super high end carbon frames, wireless AXS top tier which performs the same as the bottom but costs 3x as much and shaves a few hundred grams off...an ebike that weights 20kg. You get an AXS dropper which costs £700 instead of a normal one that costs £200. You get Fox kashima forks which adds another £500. You get carbon hoops and high end hubs which most don't need. At that price range they just have a blank cheque almost and boy will they try to spend it.

The fundamental performance between your £6k and the £10k will be minimal. The difference between an entry level £3.5-4k and yours will be quite large though.

Make no mistake though, £6k on an ebike is a lot of cash and you should be treated like someone who has dropped a lot of cash. I wouldn't spent £70k on an Audi and expect Dacia service just because I didn't buy a Porsche.

Back
Top Bottom