****The Official Mountain Bicycle Gallery Thread****

Soldato
Its a scott spark 930. Most people have the same reaction but i like the clean lines. The only problem is the bb is low on this bike and i have found issues with small tracks

Honestly would say, that back in the day when I rode XC, this would have tempted me.

Shame the low BB can cause issues though, although I guess you adjust your riding style now to suit.

img

img

Associate
Honestly would say, that back in the day when I rode XC, this would have tempted me.

Shame the low BB can cause issues though, although I guess you adjust your riding style now to suit.
I am getting up hills that i was failing on my previous bike so the new geometry is defiantly worth it. with 130 fork its plenty for most things really for me small jumps. I hear the new term is down country.

Soldato
Looks like that drink would have last at least 200k :D

Hats off for getting out right now though, when many, myself included have the bikes wrapped up for the winter..
Heh yeah i don't drink much while riding, used half a bottle when i did a 90k ride a few months back.

I built this bike for winter so my Vitus Sommet can stay wrapped up warm :D

Caporegime
Heh yeah i don't drink much while riding, used half a bottle when i did a 90k ride a few months back.
I barely drink on a ride, or I'll get the urge to pee :cry:
On a ride in the summer I did about 40 miles on dirt trails, about 10miles in I realised I must have carried all my stuff to the bike but left the bottle on the floor at my door...
I'm with EMTB though so 40 miles is probably more like 20 miles of effort if that.

seeing bikes with the tiny bottom bracket area and a skinny downtube just seems wrong to my mind now.

respect for getting our their in this weather though! far too much wet mud for my liking, I've done a few local rides and even with gloves my hands started to feel a bit cold and numb.

TBH though the muds not really the problem, it's how much of it fat MTB tyres kick up even if you ride at 5mph, and on any bumps you get like 2kg of crap falling from the front mud guard :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
After 9 years off the bike I finally decided to get back at it. Used to ride full suspension bikes back in the day having had a few Specialized bikes, Bighit, SX Trail and Demo 8.

A lot has changed will be learning a lot too as I go.

Decided to go for a hardtail nothing too expensive to start with decent spec.

Saracen Mantra Elite,
20240229-123619.jpg

Soldato
After 9 years off the bike I finally decided to get back at it. Used to ride full suspension bikes back in the day having had a few Specialized bikes, Bighit, SX Trail and Demo 8.

A lot has changed will be learning a lot too as I go.

Decided to go for a hardtail nothing too expensive to start with decent spec.

Saracen Mantra Elite,
20240229-123619.jpg

Have had a similar history.

That looks fun and well chuckable

fez

fez

Caporegime
So far so good need to cut down the bars are they are 820mm wide! I used to ride 760mm.

Bloomin eck! I know we are riding wider bars than ever but thats silly. What size is the bike? I haven't been super into MTB bike tech for the past few years but when I bought a new set of bars I think they were 800mm stock and very few people kept them at that.

Soldato
Bloomin eck! I know we are riding wider bars than ever but thats silly. What size is the bike? I haven't been super into MTB bike tech for the past few years but when I bought a new set of bars I think they were 800mm stock and very few people kept them at that.

I've kept my Slash bars at 800mm
They are great for clearing people out of the way.

Associate
Bike is a Medium, I'm 5ft 8 felt like if I took the bars off they would be taller than me :p . Cut the bars down 770mm today and feel much better.

Tried a wheelie and failed, not as young now plus I forgotten how to manual although the bike is much longer then what I used to ride.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Bike is a Medium, I'm 5ft 8 felt like if I took the bars off they would be taller than me :p . Cut the bars down 770mm today and feel much better.

Tried a wheelie and failed, not as young now plus I forgotten how to manual although the bike is much longer then what I used to ride.

Long and slack my friend. Long and slack. The amount of suspension on many bikes is ridiculous as well now. 160-170mm on bikes people largely do XC loops on. I think the majority of MTBers don't understand what a proper trail looks like. I wouldn't fancy doing some of the black trails at BPW on my 140/120mm rig but that largely because I am not good enough to clear the features without dying. I can do all the reds there quite happily on it. A bit more squish would be nice but for the average stuff I deal with down local trails its absolutely plenty.

Back
Top Bottom