The Official My Console Died What Should I Do Thread?

Soldato
My Elite just died with the 3 red lights. I went on to the Xbox site and requested a repair and I've received an email with the shipping label. Is this all I need? What's all this business about an invoice as well? And, what do i need to send back? Just the Xbox and power cable minus the HDD or does that need to go as well?

Edit: Come to think of it I bought it from a high street retailer less than a year ago. Am I covered by them? (I have what I think is the receipt) If I do it this way what do I need to take back to the store? The Xbox and all the cables that came with it or just the Xbox and power cable. What about the HDD, does that need to go back as well and if so does that mean I lose all my saved games?

Thanks for any help to the multitude of questions, lol.

Yep under 1 year and you have the receipt the responsibility lies with the retailer to swap your unit with a new one. I believe some stores argue about it but the vast majority just do it no hassles. Mine was 6 months old with a highstreet station of gaming. Took it in with receipt and swapped it over. You can get away with taking in just the box itself, minus harddrive. They should just take whatever you didn't bring down out of the new box. Ie don't bring your controller, they'll take the new one of the replacement box.

Soldato
Another one bites the dust. :(

Falcon model, was actually thinking I might get a year out of this one, wasn't to be.

No red rings or disc read error this time though, console has stopped outputting video/sound (after first having the screen go purple all of a sudden, next time I turned it on - nothing).

Does anyone know if Microsoft transfer all the DRM to the replacement? (assuming it's a refurb I get back). I only transferred everything a couple weeks ago which means I'm ****ed if they don't as I believe you can only use the DRM tool once a year.

Soldato
I took mine upstairs to the bedroom last night, it started up fine but then I thought I'd play with my headphones and the USB line and phono leads are short so I lifted from the floor to vertical next to the TV. I turned it back on a RROD :(

I think i picked it up with one hand so probably the slight flexing caused the failure. Id suggest if you move them use both hands, Im always having a go at the missus for holding the laptop one handed aswell as you can hear it flexing. Its my brothers old one and been in regular use for over 2 years.

Just before the COD4 double XP weekend aswell, typical!

Associate
My DVD drive has decided to pack in now on my nearly 2 year old 360 :( all it does is make a horrible grinding noise when a disc is inserted.

How much am i looking at for microsoft to replace the drive? or am i best just buying a new console?

Soldato
My DVD drive has decided to pack in now on my nearly 2 year old 360 :( all it does is make a horrible grinding noise when a disc is inserted.

How much am i looking at for microsoft to replace the drive? or am i best just buying a new console?

Isn't there a three year warranty on 360s as standard now? Should be able to send it of for repair/replacement.

Last time mine went wrong I just went back to the shop I bought it from and they swapped it out. Didn't have a receipt either!

Associate
The support line was a complete waste of time for me they wanted £60 + £20 for pick up and delivery, so i basicly told them to stuff there warranty and i've now fixed it myself :D

The magnet on the dvd drive had come loose so i super glued it back in place and it now works great again :D

Soldato
OP
The support line was a complete waste of time for me they wanted £60 + £20 for pick up and delivery, so i basicly told them to stuff there warranty and i've now fixed it myself :D

The magnet on the dvd drive had come loose so i super glued it back in place and it now works great again :D

A common problem that causes the drive to make a nasty grinding noisy, easy to fix though.

T.

Soldato
Thought Id post this in here rather than start a new thread...

Just had mine returned to me today after the RROD and it came back with a 1 month gold membership card.
Ive already prepaid for 12 months not long ago - can I put the code in and will it just add another month to my existing subscription?

Cheers.

Soldato
Thought Id post this in here rather than start a new thread...

Just had mine returned to me today after the RROD and it came back with a 1 month gold membership card.
Ive already prepaid for 12 months not long ago - can I put the code in and will it just add another month to my existing subscription?

Cheers.

Yep :)

Associate
Just wanted to thanks for the information contained within this sticky thread.

My 3 red ring 360 is on its way to Microsoft next week - fingers crossed

Associate
Well after 23months & 15 days my 360 has finally subcumbed to the RROD. Rang Microsoft up earlier and they couldn't have been more helpfull. Just got to wait for the delivery ticket and arrange for the courier to pick it up.

Baz

Baz

Soldato
Yay, got mine back from Microsoft today (would have been sooner, thanks UPS :rolleyes:

Looks like a refurb or a new one, maybe new as it's whisper quiet :D can actually hear myself think :p

Associate
I'm wondering if mine does have the RROD. Was playing Fallout 3 today and suddenly the picture froze and a few white lines appeared vertically, about 6 of them kinda fuzzy white lines. Game stopped, nothing moved and I had to restart. Switched the console off and back on again and it worked for a few minutes then the same thing. Off and on again and yet again it broke. Then came the 3 red lights. Wasn't too happy as I was looking forwards to Fallout 3. Then left it for 30 mins, put in PES 2008 and started playing that until 5 mins later the same thing happened.
The thing is, it intermittantly shows the RROD but can never get more than 5 mins play time from it. Is this how the RROD looks? If so, I'm only 1 year in so should be able to get it swapped.

Cheers

Associate
Not sure of your specific error but theres loads of different codes for the RROD which could mean anything if it continues happening just get Microsoft to sort it.

Associate
Gave up on trying to fix it, gonna send it back to MS. Thinking of sending it back in a large jiffy bag, this will be OK won't it? I can see it getting smashed around in a large cardboard box

Associate
Hey all, i got the red ring and itcame up with "error 34" or something, any idea what would cause this and if it is not a good sign for the future :S. All i can think is i did turn on my xbox via pressing the "open" button for the disk. Thanks in advance, Melon

Back
Top Bottom