***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
Just black but someone said his white shipped so I think they got white too (but didn't mention quantity). Black was the most popular colour. They'll have info on the other colours and the next wave of black 920's tomorrow, which probably means they'll have them Thursday.

Caporegime
Tempted to get onboard with WP8. Currently have an S3 but fancy the camera on this one.

But low and behold, no listings anywhere for sim free handsets. Madness.

Sim free handsets don't exist in the UK just yet. Basically you'll be able to get one from Phones4U at some point in time, but it'll be locked to EE (T-Mobile & Orange).

Though if you order from Germany (Cyberport) like a few people on here have, then you'll get a proper sim free unlocked handset.

Associate
I have a picture from p4u giving the sim free price. if they change that then I have the right to say and make a fuss that it was advertised as that and they must sell it to me (consumer act/watchdog etc....)

if you go with EE, then I spoke to a rep and she said to me that when you get the contract, call up EE and they will unlock it for a small fee immediately so no hanging around x months before you are eligible to have it unlocked

Associate
I've said it before but I'll say it again; I have a feeling that anyone hoping to walk into Phones4U and pick up a sim-free 920 will be disappointed, especially if they want red or yellow. So far, both me and my girlfriend have been refused a blue HTC 8X saying they were only willing to sell us a black one, saving the blue for contracts. Given that P4U have said on Twitter that the red and yellow 920 will only be available in select stores, and also given that they are an exclusive (and will be advertised at so), I believe the chances of being allowed to buy one sim-free will be very, very low. If they ever arrive in store of course!

Associate
I've said it before but I'll say it again; I have a feeling that anyone hoping to walk into Phones4U and pick up a sim-free 920 will be disappointed, especially if they want red or yellow. So far, both me and my girlfriend have been refused a blue HTC 8X saying they were only willing to sell us a black one, saving the blue for contracts. Given that P4U have said on Twitter that the red and yellow 920 will only be available in select stores, and also given that they are an exclusive (and will be advertised at so), I believe the chances of being allowed to buy one sim-free will be very, very low. If they ever arrive in store of course!

Is anyone handy at animation?

That advert Nokia did to mock the iPhone's choice of two colours, I think an updated version needs to be done to mock how rubbish this whole launch has been.

Perhaps a scene showing a potential buyer of a Nokia 920 and about 1000 hoops they have to jump through to get a phone would be an accurate depiction. I think in future Nokia will have a Crystal Maze type gameshow where you have to win all manner of games to get the chance of winning a Nokia phone (100 gold or more tokens).

Or how about a spoof of Apple's 1984 video with the video on the wall saying "Sorry but this phone is an EE exclusive".

Associate
Mine has been shipped!

Zee Germans?

I hope it's being shipped with a decent courier and not handled by Parcel Force/GLS on the UK leg of the trip.

I had a parcel go missing and I waited for weeks, then contacted the seller who said it had gone missing after it left Denmark. Parcel Farce found it in the end.

Soldato
It's Apple's fault. Whatever they do seems to become the benchmark.

Does no one remember the 4s?? It was 140g then 80% of user slapped a case on it, bringing it very close to the 180g 920. Not forgetting it was a much smaller phone overall. But no that was praised for its weight as it "felt premium" and was of "solid build quality. Now that the iPhone 5 has changed its mind about what it is, all heavy phones are suddenly wrong, despite reviewers heaping praise on them before.

Im off to join a gym in the hope that im strong enough to maintain a 5minute phonecall by the time the lumia arrives. :rolleyes:

Associate
Now that the iPhone 5 has changed its mind about what it is, all heavy phones are suddenly wrong, despite reviewers heaping praise on them before.

That was my point, Apple does xyz so it must be right, even if it isn't.

Personally as an ex-iPhone user many of the things they did early on were good and right. But I think they've run out of ideas and they seem to be more interested in setting themselves design goal challenges than actually improving the lives of the owners of the phones.

The iOS user interface is tiresome and terribly outdated in terms of performing the job of letting people stay in touch. The People hub and Messaging hubs in Windows Phone are great.

I've looked for a phone that is close to 185g that I used to own and my first phone (Motorola 3788) is 170g and I managed to carry that around without problem. Although I'm 38 now, so maybe I will struggle? maybe it's time to go to the old folks home as I'm old and fragile (yeah right).

Associate
Does no one remember the 4s?? It was 140g then 80% of user slapped a case on it, bringing it very close to the 180g 920. Not forgetting it was a much smaller phone overall. But no that was praised for its weight as it "felt premium" and was of "solid build quality. Now that the iPhone 5 has changed its mind about what it is, all heavy phones are suddenly wrong, despite reviewers heaping praise on them before.

Im off to join a gym in the hope that im strong enough to maintain a 5minute phonecall by the time the lumia arrives. :rolleyes:

That's a bit of an irrelevance really. If you put a case on a Lumia 920 then the discrepancy between 4S + case and 920 + case would be even larger as you'd need a bigger case for the 920.

185g is heavy for a phone.

Soldato
Think most is the metal spooling in the back for the wireless charging for the weight and the larger battery, the IOS adds the "depth" of the bulk.

Associate
That's a bit of an irrelevance really. If you put a case on a Lumia 920 then the discrepancy between 4S + case and 920 + case would be even larger as you'd need a bigger case for the 920.

185g is heavy for a phone.

Is 45g more than a 4S heavy? I never picked up my iPhone 4 with bumper and thought wow this phone is great but it's so heavy I couldn't possibly recommend it. Having handled one the weight is not a problem at all, you'll be more bothered by its dimensions and matte/glossy body than the weight.

This is subjective but unless you're a careful user the iPhone 4 and beyond kinda needs a case while I can't really see the point on most Lumias especially not a 920.

Back
Top Bottom