***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Soldato
I have a few questions:

- Is W8 open source? Can we tweak it and make it better (like cydia tweaks on iOS?)

- How do you transfer music and stuff to it? I hope there isn't an iTunes equivalent :(

- How do you copy stuff from it to a PC?

- iCloud equivalent backup?

- Integration with Google services?

- Customization with homescreen and lockscreen?

- Easy access to wifi/cellar data/location services toggles similiar to Android? Really hope they are very easy to get to without going through a bunch of screens.

- Lockscreen Notifications?

Last edited:
Soldato
I can answer one of those questions.

Question: Windows Phone 8 - is it open source?
Answer: Look at the first word of the question. Unfortunately, it won't be open source. :(

Caporegime
I have a few questions:

- Is W8 open source? Can we tweak it and make it better (like cydia tweaks on iOS?)

Nope

- How do you transfer music and stuff to it? I hope there isn't an iTunes equivalent :(

Zune or what ever it's going to be called / called these days. But as Glaucus says there is apparently going to be USB mass storage on WP8.

- How do you copy stuff from it to a PC?

As above.

- iCloud equivalent backup?

SkyDrive? Sync your GMail stuff for contacts / calenders if you use them already.

- Integration with Google services?

As above, GMail (email, contacts, calendar) what else is there?

- Customization with homescreen and lockscreen?

Live tile sizes / colours on Start Screen. Nope to lockscreen.

- Easy access to wifi/cellar data/location services toggles similiar to Android? Really hope they are very easy to get to without going through a bunch of screens.

Yup, there's already an app called 'Connectivity Shortcuts' which lets you add live tiles to your Start Screen to quickly access data / wifi settings. Nothing like Android notification bar drag down or anything though.

- Lockscreen Notifications?

Yep there will be improved lockscreen notifications, see here - http://goo.gl/eu8PR and there's rumoured that there will be a feature for 3rd party app notifications.

:)

Soldato
Guys ... and Gals , just been looking throughthe you tube videos again , and the camera apps or should I say lenes looks amazing , I linked the vid to a mate who was sworn on a ip5 and he said screw it , he is waiting for the 920, he said the presentation wasn't as slick as iphone 5 one , I said well come on the guy had a sh** load to demonstrate compared to Apple , including accessories etc , apple never do that.
You get the iphone and that's it , dam I am phyiced (sp) vodka fault . on a school night to tut tut for me lol

Soldato
WPCentral reported a rumour of a 21/10 for the states launch a while back but thought it was doubtful. They have come back with more info stating that they think this is looking even more likely now, though that date might be pre-order.
Their source is someone high up at AT&T so crossed fingers as that is only a month away.
I can't wait to throw this heap of **** Im using in the bin and get a proper phone..

Caporegime
I've almost convinced myself to get this but I'm not sure if there are too many Android features I'll miss :(

A couple that I can think of that I'm not sure if WP8 can do:

Wireless syncing music with Winamp
App that lets you activate features based on location (so my phone goes to silent when at work, turns Wi-Fi on and connects when I egt home etc)

Soldato
Just hope I can find a good contract, was going to go for the iPhone 5 on o2 - £250 upfront, £26 a month/24 month contract. Ult texts, calls, 1GB data. Not bad, works out at £874 or something. Then I seen this phone haha, screw apple!

Soldato
I've almost convinced myself to get this but I'm not sure if there are too many Android features I'll miss :(

A couple that I can think of that I'm not sure if WP8 can do:

Wireless syncing music with Winamp
App that lets you activate features based on location (so my phone goes to silent when at work, turns Wi-Fi on and connects when I egt home etc)

You can sync wirelessly with Zune on WP7. I think WinAMP support is doubtful though. There's mumblings about possible cloud music syncing through Skydrive as well.

On the second bit, no idea but Microsoft released something like this for Android a few months ago so there's every chance it could be announced in the coming weeks.

Caporegime
WPCentral reported a rumour of a 21/10 for the states launch a while back but thought it was doubtful. They have come back with more info stating that they think this is looking even more likely now, though that date might be pre-order.
Their source is someone high up at AT&T so crossed fingers as that is only a month away.
I can't wait to throw this heap of **** Im using in the bin and get a proper phone..

There have been suggestions that some European carriers are preparing for a mid October launch so possibly 21st ish time would make sense, that is before the official launch for W8 though.

Back
Top Bottom