***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
I'm struggling to understand the hype around this phone.

The camera looked light years ahead of anything else. It felt like I understood why people where getting so excited but then the news that it was faked has me scratching my head again.
Plenty of people seem to say that they where going to get an iPhone 5 but instead are going to get this... I never understood what the iPhone did better than anything else either.

Is it because I don't understand the unquantifiable qualities of these phones that they are just not for me? Or the quantifiable qualities are just not my priorities?

I'm currently using a HTC Desire S and drooling over the possibilities of a Samsung GS3. Maybe I'm just looking at it from a different angle to others.

Man of Honour
Why are you drooling over the sgs3?

iPhone is great for the Eco system, although other have finally caught up just a few months ago. It was the only real platform you could get all media on.

The 920 is great and possibly one of the best featured phones out their. Then people like me are also excited about wp8 ontop of a feature packed phone.

Soldato
I'm struggling to understand the hype around this phone.

The camera looked light years ahead of anything else. It felt like I understood why people where getting so excited but then the news that it was faked has me scratching my head again.
Plenty of people seem to say that they where going to get an iPhone 5 but instead are going to get this... I never understood what the iPhone did better than anything else either.

Is it because I don't understand the unquantifiable qualities of these phones that they are just not for me? Or the quantifiable qualities are just not my priorities?

I'm currently using a HTC Desire S and drooling over the possibilities of a Samsung GS3. Maybe I'm just looking at it from a different angle to others.

Only one video was fake. The rest is legit. The guy who worked out that the photos in the video were fake checked everything and came to the conclusion that the team behind the video needed a good slap, but yes the camera on the 920 is fairly impressive for a mobile phone.

I think the fuss is generally over the camera and the display (looks stunning and can be used with gloves or basically any object). The wireless charging is nice to have, as is 32GB storage as standard.

Associate
Why are you drooling over the sgs3?
It's the king of the hill. Not perfect but still a clear winner in my eyes.

iPhone is great for the Eco system, although other have finally caught up just a few months ago. It was the only real platform you could get all media on.

The 920 is great and possibly one of the best featured phones out their. Then people like me are also excited about wp8 ontop of a feature packed phone.

I really do not like the whole itunes media thing, I like to just stick what I want wherever I want :p. Having a standard single microUSB that I can use to connect multiple devices with instead of a cable for each device. I also regularly send documents and pictures via bluetooth which I hear is not allowed with iOS and using my phone as a wifi hotspot.
I got an ipod shuffle as a present but could just not get along with it at all. It did get me into using itunes solely for downloading podcasts which I now replaced with a free Android app that's less bloated.
Apple is just needless effort to get anything done the way I want it to be done which is free, simple and effective.

It's partly why I loved my N95 and N97 so much and actually felt that my Desire S was a downgrade in many regards. I also happily lorded it over some iPhone user friends when stuck in a train station during heavy snow that I could use my N97 with gloves on.
As for W8 I have no experience of it, which might be why I can't see it as being an advantage. No doubt it is better than iOS for me but if it only equals Android with accessibility then I would not class it as being better than the S3 package.
The HTC One X actually has a better construction and UI (that i'm more used to as well) than the GS3, but the GS3 is more flexible which I rate as more important.

Anyone that is still using the faked images video thing really isn't worth the time.
Is that just an easy way out? Because you don't want to justify it or because you can't?

Man of Honour

And other people may have that view about the Lumia and iPhone.

It's quite simple and comes down to preference, there isn't really anything that makes the S3 much better than either of those phones (granted they haven't been reviewed yet, so I can't say for sure).

Soldato
As for W8 I have no experience of it, which might be why I can't see it as being an advantage.

If you can spin up a VM, install Win8 and office 2013, then you will see the point. I did that a couple of weeks ago and it switched my intentions from the next nexus phone to WP8 which just hadn't been a consideration until that point. MS have made a massive effort to integrate the cloud and it 'seems' to fit much better than other ecosystems.
Add in a good camera and the nokia apps integration and there isn't anything else out there like it for me..
This will be replacing android for me..

Soldato
Is that just an easy way out? Because you don't want to justify it or because you can't?

Not really, just anyone here knows its a none issue frankly
Like the iPhone faking the Siri sequences in studio, speeding up how fast the apps work on their phone, AfterFXing the screens etc.
Telling you your holding it wrong.
Saying its the Thinnest phone in the world.
My Bro works as a Managing dept for Bose, in the presentation they clearly showed a Bose Sounddock with an iPhone 5 in it. He was in meetings asking them why they used that, as they where not even made aware their was a new dock connection coming, and they certainly had no plans to make a new Dock with the connection.
so, they photoshopped it and showed it to the world.

But yea, yea yoru right, im sure Nokia is the first to lie to us in the world of advertising.

Man of Honour
Hardware wise it clearly isn't. Although its not far behind.

I really do not like the whole itunes media thing, I like to just stick what I want wherever I want :p. ?

like most you miss the point of Eco system and iTunes. Before May, how did you buy films from android? You simply couldn't buy films on android. That is why apple were so far ahead in the eco system for years. There are still clearly ahead, but android has now got an acceptable Eco system. But now many people are stuck with the Eco system and stand to lose hundreds if they switch.
I knew ages ago I wasn't going to stay with apple so although I will lose some money I've only spent when needed. This is why apple or another company could release mediocre hardware and people would still buy it. While silly people shout you idiots. Some people don't illegally download everything and spent hundreds if not thousands. Not that iphone5 is mediocre.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tempted to change my s3 for this if it comes out fairly soon, just for the change really.

Whats the gpu like compared to the s3?

Also can you watch things like xvid and mkv on win phones?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
2012917131525.jpg

Associate
Ok, the camera is still impressive but not as impressive as the marketing let on. It most likely wins for best camera anyway.
Office 2013 - That's a definite plus, like it.
Watching movies is something I never considered doing on a phone, something I overlooked which people could consider an advantage, especially with such a high res screen it's made for that. Watching Youtube stuff on the other hand came in handy and not just through an app with limited search results.
Aren't the speakers supposed to be something rather impressive as well?
Edit - the wireless charging does not include data transfer by any chance? :p

App's is a sticking point, sure anything that is possible on another phone OS is possible on W8 but it's about how long it will take for someone to develop all the ones I am used to.
Like Torque and a plugin called Trackrecorder, the most expensive app I've ever bought. It reads a car's OBD2 signals and overlays realtime data with video recording. It would be perfect for the 920's camera as there can be a lot of vibrations but it is unlikely to show up for W8 with the same functionality any time soon. Lengthy recordings also lend's itself to having expandable memory and possibly even battery.

I'm glad I have a better understanding of what makes it stand out from the others but I just don't think it is the area's I priorities about what I have now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom